Club Statement: Shaun Edwards

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
morley pie eater

Re: Club Statement: Shaun Edwards

Post by morley pie eater »

No straw damn us wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:24 pm Under Whelans ownership, didn't we lose Jason Robinson, Andy Farrell, Chris Ashton, Luke Robinson, Shaun Briscoe, Kevin Brown etc and had four players taking over 50% of the salary cap whilst young first team players were getting paid less than they could have got stacking shelves in Asda?
Yes, but more than stacking shelves for JJB Sports.
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
morley pie eater

No straw damn us wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:47 pm Let' s make it easy.
Have Wigan been more successful under Whelan or Lenagan?
Financially or trophy wise.

DaveO?
DaveO?

Hello....Anyone seen DaveO?
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
morley pie eater

I freely admit that i know nowt about this - in common with most, or probably all of you

It strikes me that Edwards would only back out for something big - really BIG.

Next head coach of England RU???
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Fujiman wrote:https://wiganwarriors.com/news/2019-03- ... un-edwards

Statement on th club website. Club giving him time to make his mind up!
“I take full responsibility for missing the mention of a signed contract in Wigan’s Press Release at the time of Shaun’s appointment.”

Yeah right. You were just forgot to announce you had not really signed him.

Had you not forgot and actually mentioned it then just what sort of reaction do you think there would have been?

No one would have taken the announcement as serious at all. There would have been no positive publicity at all. Just questions about had we really signed him or not.

I said we’d get some prime IL spin about this and so it begins.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

DaveO wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:42 pm

“I take full responsibility for missing the mention of a signed contract in Wigan’s Press Release at the time of Shaun’s appointment.”

Had you not forgot and actually mentioned it then just what sort of reaction do you think there would have been?

No one would have taken the announcement as serious at all. There would have been no positive publicity at all. Just questions about had we really signed him or not.

Course all IL fault, did you read the part about Edwards wanting to be left alone for six nations? Doesnt mesh with his not heard anything in 9 months does it.

Sorry DaveO despite the fault that lies with IL, SE has crapped all over the club, he obviously isnt a 'Man of his word"
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Caboosegg wrote:
DaveO wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:58 pm
Caboosegg wrote: No you don't, you can only play whats in front of you. And i dont agree with this constant the standards have declined. The game has changed it is more defense based with large fit players.

The era of amazing attack is gone as this required weak defense and tired teams.

Although with how we play at the moment other teams get to see what it was like.
If you don’t agree the standard of RL has declined you are not being objective. In case you missed it the best UK players ply their trade in the NRL and who knows how many potential players now simply bypass RL completely and head off to RU.

The standard of our own squad has dropped in less than 10 years. Compare the GF winning side of Madge with what we have now.

Go a bit further back and we even had two centres worth the name instead of one who’s learning and another who kills it in training but nowhere else.

All im saying DaveO is the game has changed and some of these players you idolise wouldnt have the same impact they did if around now, the player are bigger and fitter but at the cost of the open flow play you all loved when younger.
If you think it’s all about style of play you need to go and find some old videos. The game used to be played of 5m, not 10m and With four tackles not 6. That meant half backs and hookers were more skilful and couldn’t make a living by scooting from dummy half.

That said it is not about this anyway. I am not talking about the 80’s but the era we are in now. I am pretty sure most others who say there has been a decline are as well. We have played to these rules for a long time now. If it’s had an effect on the teams it is to blur the positions where (to exaggerate to make a point) the players all look like back row forwards. The point being made is even though the game is different the standard of players playing this eras game is poorer than it was 10 years ago or less. The best are in the NRL. We don’t sign Brett Finch’s or Hoffman class players and we only got them because Melbourne broke the cap anyway.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

There’s plenty of blame to go round not least from Mr Union himself he has crapped all over the club from a height to say otherwise is wrong
wall_of_voodoo

Post by wall_of_voodoo »

Caboosegg wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:50 pm despite the fault that lies with IL, SE has crapped all over the club, he obviously isnt a 'Man of his word"
So the fault lies with IL but it is SE fault for looking elsewhere when after 9 months - nothing - nowt - no contract in the post - no prevarication from either party that they initially made a mistake.

If you bought a tv from Currys and shook hands on it with the salesperson, if after nine months you were sat infront of a blank wall wouldn't you want to know what is happening? At very least you would have started to look elsewhere for your telly which is what you are saying Edwards is now wrong to do

Sounds like IL wanted a commitment from someone but didn't have the balls to back that up with cold hard cash down in a contract

It's that seeming unwillingness to speculate with money that leads to me thinking that i Lam's tenure is a failure we are looking at a Winder and/or O'Loughlin coaching set-up for next year with Leulaui thrown in for good measure
Last edited by wall_of_voodoo on Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm a better fan than you
Because I don't "Boo"!!!

Yes I bloody know transfer fees do not count on the salary cap for those illiterates that need it explaining to them because they assume everyone is as thick as they are :roll:
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Caboosegg wrote:
DaveO wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:42 pm

Course all IL fault, did you read the part about Edwards wanting to be left alone for six nations? Doesnt mesh with his not heard anything in 9 months does it.

Sorry DaveO despite the fault that lies with IL, SE has crapped all over the club, he obviously isnt a 'Man of his word"
Did you read that quote from IL and think it was acceptable? The idea he forgot to mention it is a joke. Had he done so the announcement would have been a none announcement. That quote means he thinks it was an oversight not to mention no contract was signed and you know as well as I do the first reaction to that would have been a load of questions asking was he to be Wigan’s coach in 2020 or not?

If he’d got a signed contract there would be none of this talk about not holding Edwards to a gentleman’s agreement. It would have been about releasing him from a contract if that is what Edwards wants. Totally different ball game. The only reason we are in this farce of a situation is because top businessman IL thought a gentleman’s agreement was a real thing in 2019 and/or due to plain ineptitude.
EDINBURGH-WARRIOR

Post by EDINBURGH-WARRIOR »

IL comes out of this very badly but not as badly as SE in my opinion . To ask for more time after 9 months is just stalling to see how many offers to stay in union he gets and taking a rise out of the club and its fans . For IL to come out saying things like giving the fans the information they deserve is another joke . Pull the plug and let's start again and hope AL turns it around

Regards EW
2002 and EW is hooked