Club Statement: Shaun Edwards

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
jobo

Re: Club Statement: Shaun Edwards

Post by jobo »

No straw damn us wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:24 pm Under Whelans ownership, didn't we lose Jason Robinson, Andy Farrell, Chris Ashton, Luke Robinson, Shaun Briscoe, Kevin Brown etc and had four players taking over 50% of the salary cap whilst young first team players were getting paid less than they could have got stacking shelves in Asda?
Very true. That was the time when Catalans had more French players in their team than we had british players in our team.
Fujiman

Post by Fujiman »

https://wiganwarriors.com/news/2019-03- ... un-edwards

Statement on th club website. Club giving him time to make his mind up!
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

It’s tuis sort on crap that irritates me about Lenegan,the man has had nine months more or less to decide if the job is for him,but no let’s give him more time when it’s clear Edwards has had his head turned by offers in union,it’s time to end it and move on.

Enough is enough.
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

Should have tied him down. Saying that what’s to say he’s still come even if he did have a contract

Will Eswards’ Name be welcome in Wigan now? Or for decades to come?
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

Humm.

So SE wanted to left alone during the six nations and wigan did it.

Although yes we should have got a signed contract (which could still be broke), this is a very different picture than what everyone was painting on here.

Edwards had no issue doing the interviews and promotional materials on a oral deal with a handshake and Ask to be left Alone during the 6 nations

Wigan honour that and the Edwards seems to have a change of heart and start mouthing off to the media.

Of course the truth is probably somewhere inbetween.

Of course the Anti IL + KR brigade will focus on not having a written contract and the roses around SE will continue 😉
Last edited by Caboosegg on Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

As fans we are very reactive at what’s in front of us in a short time frame. Instant reactions. My gripe with the way it’s done with the club has shown to be right it’s a silly way to do business.

Now we have a story of Edwards emerging now which to me seems like he is backtracking and wanting a “better job”

This will undoubtedly taint Edwards’ Legacy with the Wigan club. We are the biggest club in world rugby I don’t care what anyone says and he is/was (lol) one of the jewels in our crown.

If he doesn’t come Wigan fans will be unhappy with the way the contracts been done but also very unhappy at Edwards. For me his Legacy is tainted, or will be tainted. Just, initial reaction I suppose 😂

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
Of Fame
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Caboosegg wrote:
Wintergreen wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:03 am
No straw damn us wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:47 pm Let' s make it easy.
Have Wigan been more successful under Whelan or Lenagan?
Financially or trophy wise.

DaveO?
That's too simplistic. You also need to bear in mind the standard of SL now compared to what it was under DW.
No you don't, you can only play whats in front of you. And i dont agree with this constant the standards have declined. The game has changed it is more defense based with large fit players.

The era of amazing attack is gone as this required weak defense and tired teams.

Although with how we play at the moment other teams get to see what it was like.
If you don’t agree the standard of RL has declined you are not being objective. In case you missed it the best UK players ply their trade in the NRL and who knows how many potential players now simply bypass RL completely and head off to RU.

The standard of our own squad has dropped in less than 10 years. Compare the GF winning side of Madge with what we have now.

Go a bit further back and we even had two centres worth the name instead of one who’s learning and another who kills it in training but nowhere else.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

DaveO wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:58 pm
Caboosegg wrote:
Wintergreen wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:03 am

That's too simplistic. You also need to bear in mind the standard of SL now compared to what it was under DW.
No you don't, you can only play whats in front of you. And i dont agree with this constant the standards have declined. The game has changed it is more defense based with large fit players.

The era of amazing attack is gone as this required weak defense and tired teams.

Although with how we play at the moment other teams get to see what it was like.
If you don’t agree the standard of RL has declined you are not being objective. In case you missed it the best UK players ply their trade in the NRL and who knows how many potential players now simply bypass RL completely and head off to RU.

The standard of our own squad has dropped in less than 10 years. Compare the GF winning side of Madge with what we have now.

Go a bit further back and we even had two centres worth the name instead of one who’s learning and another who kills it in training but nowhere else.

All im saying DaveO is the game has changed and some of these players you idolise wouldnt have the same impact they did if around now, the player are bigger and fitter but at the cost of the open flow play you all loved when younger.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

All i can say is if he does sign after all this lot....... he better be worth it or he could be in for a very short and painful stint
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

I think by the looks of this that Vincent Kpmpany is our new coach for 2020

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
Of Fame