Club Statement: Shaun Edwards

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Re: Club Statement: Shaun Edwards

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Shaun Edwards: New Wales defence coach already appointed, says Wayne Pivac

Incoming Wales coach Wayne Pivac says a replacement for defence coach Shaun Edwards has already been appointed.

Head coach Warren Gatland and the current Wales coaching team step down after the World Cup this autumn, when Scarlets boss Pivac takes over.

Pivac said talks took place in August about Edwards staying with Wales.

"Shaun was the first person I spoke with. He indicated he was under pressure from Wigan and that the timeline was unrealistic," he said.

"I talked around a process we would be going through. That was pre-autumn and pre-Six Nations. Shaun signed with Wigan and that put paid to the discussions going any further.

"We have finished the process and we have recruited a defence coach and that will come out in due course, hopefully."

Edwards has been acknowledged as a key architect of Wales' 2019 Six Nations Grand Slam, with the team conceding only seven tries in five matches.

However the former rugby league international revealed after Wales' decisive 25-7 win over Ireland that he was still a free agent after the World Cup and had not in fact agreed to join rugby league giants Wigan.

"I haven't signed a contract with anybody yet," the 52-year-old said.

Pivac said he had been surprised by the stories that emerged after Wales' Grand Slam win.

"Shaun knew he was on the [Wales] shortlist, that he was the incumbent. We'd had a meeting and subsequent conversations," said the New Zealander.

"We are a little bit disappointed that's come out over the weekend but we are certainly not going to let it detract from a great result at the weekend.

"It's between Shaun and Wigan. I have no control over that. I only know about the discussions we had way back in August.

"Shaun has done a fantastic job - we all know that. He's a very, very good defence coach."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/amp/rugby-union/47624784
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

shaunedwardsfanclub wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:43 am One man appears to have been open and honest about the situation, the other has yet to reply. IFL will get his chance to lay his views in front of the faithful until then I stand in the corner of SE. At no point has Giz said that he doesn’t want to come to Wigan, he loves a challenge and he is going to get one if he is appointed. His only crime has been to make this a public issue rather than discussing the matter behind closed doors (he may have tried that for all we know and it has fallen on deaf ears). The facts as I understand them are that he has agreed to coach Wigan for three years during which time the club will compensate him for his efforts but unfortunately the club have failed to formalise the agreement and therefore he is currently in limbo. If I had to wait 9 months for a contract I would seriously consider if the other party was serious about offering me a deal. Over to you Mr Lenagan.
If Lenegan wins this would you become ianleneganfanclub ? 😂
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

I cant see how SE has been honest.

To me he looks like hes trying to jump ship for jobs in RU

He did the press conferences he did interviews, hes been to matches but suddenly after wales win the Grandslam hes potentially not coming?

The clubs statement reads like they expected him still and that fact we havent heard anything yet, makes me think Bad news.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

Both SE and IL should never have agreed to a press conference without a contract being signed.

That said, as the employer, the onus falls on IL to cover this off.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

Wintergreen wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:48 am Both SE and IL should never have agreed to a press conference without a contract being signed.

Are you ignoring the part where a legal advisors has stated Oral contracts are still binding?
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Caboosegg wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:04 am
Wintergreen wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:48 am Both SE and IL should never have agreed to a press conference without a contract being signed.

Are you ignoring the part where a legal advisors has stated Oral contracts are still binding?
Oh if you read the article there’s lot that had to be agreed before it became legally binding,such as agreeing an oral contract was legally binding for a start
shaunedwardsfanclub

Caboosegg wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:26 am I cant see how SE has been honest.

To me he looks like hes trying to jump ship for jobs in RU

He did the press conferences he did interviews, hes been to matches but suddenly after wales win the Grandslam hes potentially not coming?

The clubs statement reads like they expected him still and that fact we havent heard anything yet, makes me think Bad news.
What has he said that isn't true?
shaunedwardsfanclub

ancientnloyal wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:36 am
shaunedwardsfanclub wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:43 am One man appears to have been open and honest about the situation, the other has yet to reply. IFL will get his chance to lay his views in front of the faithful until then I stand in the corner of SE. At no point has Giz said that he doesn’t want to come to Wigan, he loves a challenge and he is going to get one if he is appointed. His only crime has been to make this a public issue rather than discussing the matter behind closed doors (he may have tried that for all we know and it has fallen on deaf ears). The facts as I understand them are that he has agreed to coach Wigan for three years during which time the club will compensate him for his efforts but unfortunately the club have failed to formalise the agreement and therefore he is currently in limbo. If I had to wait 9 months for a contract I would seriously consider if the other party was serious about offering me a deal. Over to you Mr Lenagan.
If Lenegan wins this would you become ianleneganfanclub ? 😂
Maybe :D
Mickw

Post by Mickw »

Interview with Edward's on talk sport in a minute.