Salford away

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
moto748

Re: Salford away

Post by moto748 »

It's good to have our first-choice wingers on the pitch of course, but Davies and Marshall have hardly been weak links.

Oh that they should be our biggest concerns!
Mickw

Post by Mickw »

No but it doesn't help with defensive continuity or communication, in defense or attack,people underestimate just how much of a leader primarily by example Bateman was for us .He lead by his actions and dragged some of the others with him.
Gildarts attempted tackle for Salfords second try wouldn't have been tolerated at the back end of last season.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Mickw wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:35 pm No but it doesn't help with defensive continuity or communication, in defense or attack,people underestimate just how much of a leader primarily by example Bateman was for us .He lead by his actions and dragged some of the others with him.
Gildarts attempted tackle for Salfords second try wouldn't have been tolerated at the back end of last season.
Gildart's defence has always been poor for me. He is also very small for a centre.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
First Try Tickle

Post by First Try Tickle »

Mickw wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:35 pm Gildarts attempted tackle for Salfords second try wouldn't have been tolerated at the back end of last season.
I thought Budgie's tackle for their 3rd was just a bad.

The problem I have is cover coming across to help out. Gildart almost stopped him but need help to finish off the tackle.
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

Both were at fault for tries. Interesting listening to the radio when Bilko & JM were unforgiving about those two conceded tries along with Manfredi's error.
However when later in the car and BBC Manc was on, at the end of the game Phil Kinsella and Alan Hunte were praising Wigan's second half defence as almost Wane esque when only one try was conceded.
If we were to only concede one try each half then we wouldn't lose many games.

Coming back into form won't be a light switch effect but a gradual process with improvement each game. The second half was a massive improvement, build on that we should go ok.

We still need to upsize in the forwards as was said in 2014 after the Roosters game. Greenwood and Bullock fit in as required but hiring Navarette, Hamlin and Isa leaves me puzzled. We need to win more games in the forwards and recruitment will help.