Warriors topple Red Devils

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Warriors topple Red Devils

Post by josie andrews »

Match report as Wigan Warriors beat Salford Red Devils at the AJ Bell Stadium in the Betfred Super League

Tries from Greenwood, Leuluai and a hat trick from Williams the difference for travelling side

Wigan win on the road for the first time in 2019

A hat trick of tries for George Williams lead Wigan to their first win away from home in 2019 as the Warriors beat Salford Red Devils 22-30 in the Betfred Super League on Sunday.

Despite Salford taking a 22-18 lead early in the second half, Wigan showed their quality by battling back to take home the two points.

It was Salford who drew first blood through forward Josh Jones in the fourth minute. With the Warriors defending their goal line, a clever Lui gubber found Jones who crossed the whitewash in plenty of space on the left. Chamberlain failed to add the extras.

The home side increased their lead just 7 minutes later through an Ed Chamberlain penalty kick following Wigan’s left edge being caught offside.

Wigan looked to have picked up their first try of the game in the 17th minute through Tony Clubb, powering over after a short pass from Leuluai, however it was ruled out for obstruction.

The Warriors finally did add their first points of the afternoon in the 25th through a well-crafted George Williams try. A clever dummy from Jarrod Sammut saw the scrum half break the Salford line. Drawing the tackle of the fullback, the Maltese international found the supporting Williams to his left to run home. Hardaker converted.

The current Super League Champions struck again through Tommy Leuluai just 5 minutes later, taking a quick ball from dummy half to power over from a few yards out. Hardaker added the extras.

Scorer turned provider in the 33rd minute as a quick ball from dummy half from Leuluai found Joe Greenwood to power through two Salford defenders to touch down Wigan’s third try of the game. Hardaker continued his fine kicking and converted his third of the game.

Salford battled back before half time through Derrell Olpherts. A quick move through the Red Devil’s left edge found Olpherts in plenty of space to cross in the corner. Chamberlain failed to add the extras.

Momentum shifted their way further before the break with the Red Devils grabbing a third try in the dying seconds of the half. A quick breakaway from halfway saw Evalds cross in the right corner. Chamberlain added the extras.

Salford picked up where they left off in the second half with a try in the 42nd minute through debutant Walker, reacting quick to a loose ball in the Wigan goal area to touch down. Chamberlain added two more points.

Wigan levelled the score to 22 all in the 51st through a brilliantly crafted try, finished by George Williams. An excellent offload from Joe Greenwood to Joe Burgess followed by a clever inside ball from the winger to Williams saw the half-back run home from 40 metres. Hardaker added two more.

Williams completed his hat trick in the 63rd minute, once again running home from the best part of 40 metres and supplied by a skilful inside ball from Burgess. Hardaker continued his ruthless kicking game, adding two more.

Wigan Warriors: Zak Hardaker, Dom Manfredi, Dan Sarginson, Oliver Gildart, Joe Burgess, George Williams, Jarrod Sammut, Tony Clubb, Tommy Leuluai, Romain Navarrete, Willie Isa,Joe Greenwood, Sean O’Loughlin.

Interchanges: Joe Bullock, Ben Flower, Jake Shorrocks, Gabe Hamlin

Tries: Williams (25’, 51’, 63’), Leuluai (30’), Greenwood 33’),

Conversions: Hardaker (5/5)

Salford Red Devils: Naill Evalds, Derrell Olpherts, Ed Chamberlain, Jake Bibby, Ken Sio, Robert Lui, Jackson Hastings, Daniel Murray, Joey Lussick, Gil Dudson, Josh Jones, Jansin Turgut, Mark Flanagan.

Interchanges: George Griffin, Petero Nakubuwai, Adam Walker, Adam Lawton.

Tries: Jones (4’), Olpherts (37’), Evalds (39’)

Conversions: Chamberlain (2/4)

Penalties: Chamberlain (11’)

Match Officials: Referee: Chris Kendall, Touch Judges: James & Clint Sharrad, In Goal: Craig Smith & Joe Stearne, Reserve Referee: Tara Jones

Attendance: 4,770

https://www.wiganwarriors.com/news/2019 ... YjSeSIr.99
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Re: Warriors topple Red Devils

Post by josie andrews »

Emotional rollercoaster: Lam

Adrian Lam reacts to Wigan’s 22-30 victory over Salford Red Devils in the Betfred Super League

“Stormed home through some attacking brilliance down the left hand side.” - Lam

Applauds second half comeback from his Wigan side

Wigan Warriors Head Coach Adrian Lam hails the performance of his team’s left edge as their skill in attack proved too much for Salford Red Devils at the AJ Bell Stadium.

Wigan headed in at the break 16-18 up but conceded almost immediately following the beginning of the second half. However, Lam’s Wigan side showed plenty of determination and skill to regain the lead and take home the two points.

On Wigan’s second half Lam said, “It was an emotional rollercoaster. I think when they took the lead in the second half through that freakish try, Wigan fans will have thought ‘here we go again’.

“We’ve ben working really hard to get through those moments and it was nice that we got through that period and stormed home through some attacking brilliance down the left hand side.”

Joe Burgess made his first appearance in 11 months for Wigan and played his part in two tries for the Warriors. On his performance Lam said, “I was really pleased for Joe. Just his presence makes everyone feel a bit safer.

“Also having Dom Manfredi back on that right side with Zak at Fullback, Gildart and Sarginson in the centres, I think they were brilliant today, the whole back five were outstanding.”

George Williams arguably stole the show, scoring his first hat trick for the Club since 2014 [vs Hull FC]. On the performance of the halves – “I thought Jarrod [Sammut] was pretty solid, I thought George [Williams] was good with the ball, but just missed a couple of kicks that put us under pressure.

“As good as he [Williams] was with the ball, his whole game needs a bit of detail yet. He’s certainly an important part of our team and when he plays like that we become more dangerous.”

Wigan’s two-second half tries came through excellent play on the left edge, seeing Greenwood, Gildart and Burgess linking up to wonderful effect.

On the left edge combination Lam explained, “I think as the season goes on that combination will be pretty deadly and potentially one of the best in the competition.”

On other areas that impressed the Head Coach – “I was happy with our middles, I thought our middles were pretty good. When Salford got back into the game it wasn’t because of our middles. I praised them in the changing room just then.”

The Head Coach also provided an update on forward Tony Clubb, who left the field injured in the first half.

“It looks like he may have some sort of medial or ligament damage so we will get him looked at tomorrow. It looks like he will be out for a couple of weeks.”

https://www.wiganwarriors.com/news/2019 ... p5PIC0.99
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
First Try Tickle

Post by First Try Tickle »

I must say, after a poor start to the season and the negativity after the Edwards fiasco, the turnout by Wigan fans today was fantastic.

Amazing set of fans, almost as many as Salford, and really got behind the team. You could really feel the relief at the end, and I think the players appreciated the support.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

Yeah there were more there than I expected. It was a good run on the bike, too, I'd only been there by coach before but being able to park right in front of the stand and get away easily was good. A Wigan lad came over as I was leaving and asked if I had to pay to park. I said, no, no charge, and he said, right, I'll come on my bike next time!
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Wasn’t pretty: O’Loughlin

Wigan skipper analyses win against Salford Red Devils

”We’ve got to grind a few wins out and build a bit of confidence from that.”

Discusses performance of returning Burgess and hat trick hero Williams

Wigan Warriors Captain Sean O’Loughlin believes Sunday’s victory over Salford Red Devils “wasn’t pretty” but is important for the side in building momentum as the season progresses.

Despite Wigan’s bad run of form since their victory over Leeds Rhinos back in February, the Club captain said that the side has never lost belief in themselves.

“We’ve been confident going into all of the games but we’ve just not delivered. I think It’s pleasing that we’ve got a win. We’ve not been brilliant today but we’ve got a win.

“In tough times that’s it’s just what you’ve got to do. At the minute we aren’t going to blow anyone away, we’ve got to grind a few wins out and build a bit of confidence from that.”

On the team’s overall performance – “There are aspects of our game we aren’t happy with. We went behind early again. But we built on that and came back from that.

“Again later in the game we went behind again and managed to claw it back so we can take positives from that.

“We’ve not won many but the boys have grafted all the way to the end and although all the score lines haven’t been in our favour, no one has run away with games against us.”

While it may not have been a perfect performance from Wigan, the loose forward highlighted the things that the Club and fans can be positive about.

Obviously the tries that George scored, we’ve seen him do that tones of times with Budgey [Burgess] on the wing and George going in the inside. They’ve built that combination from coming through together as kids in the academy.

“Having them back together, knowing how to bounce off each other, that will only get better with this being Budgey’s first game back. It was good to see him back.”

The Cherry and White faithful were out in good numbers at the AJ Bell Stadium on Sunday and O’Loughlin explained how their support has been important this season.

“When you come away from the DW and you see them travelling in numbers it’s great. At Warrington last week, even though we got beat, the fans there were brilliant, and again today.

“Onto next week now and back home and hopefully we can get them another win. There’s still a long, long time in the season to go and hopefully we can build some momentum, especially over the Easter period, pick up some wins and progress.”

https://www.wiganwarriors.com/news/2019 ... y8cHeMc.99