Wigan Warriors' Joe Greenwood facing a ban

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Mickw

Re: Wigan Warriors' Joe Greenwood facing a ban

Post by Mickw »

morley pie eater wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:19 pm
Mickw wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:39 pm Thought this was RL not bloody toddy winks .
I don't know what happened and if it was intentional - neither do you, Mick.

However, your comment is an attempt to justify thuggery, which has no place in rugby league of all sports. There's enough ways to hurt an opponent within the rules without resorting to deliberately trying to injure a fellow player.

I condemned the thug Brett Ferres for his tackle which cost Gilly nearly a season and could have ended his career, and *if* Greenwood deliberately did this he deserves the same condemnation - though I hope it was accidental.
he,s accused of standing on a players ankle so there's no way to prove it one way or another, it doesn't say stamp .so you can climb down if your little moralistic soap box.
Where were you when manfredi had his teeth knocked down his throat the other week and nothing was done.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

Only one guy knows the truth.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
moto748

Post by moto748 »

Mickw wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:26 am he,s accused of standing on a players ankle so there's no way to prove it one way or another, it doesn't say stamp .so you can climb down if your little moralistic soap box.
Where were you when manfredi had his teeth knocked down his throat the other week and nothing was done.
Well two wrongs don't make a right: if one of our players had had his foot trod on, I daresay we'd all be jumping up and down. And even guys who "aren't that kind of player" commit foul play sometimes.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Wigan Warriors' appeal against Joe Greenwood ban fail

Wigan have failed in a bid to have Joe Greenwood's suspension overturned.

The Warriors appeared at this evening's RFL disciplinary hearing to argue a one-match ban - following a charge of ‘intentionally standing on the ankle’ of a Salford player in Sunday’s 30-22 win - was unfair.

But an RFL spokesman confirmed the suspension will stand and and he will be forced to sit out of Sunday’s home match against Catalans.

More details of the appeal process and the decision are expected to be published later.

With Liam Farrell out with a pectoral injury, the loss of Greenwood will weaken the Warriors’ backrow. Liam Paisley, who scored a try for dual-registration partners Swinton on Sunday, is one possible option to replace him or Adrian Lam may choose to play a middle, such as Gabe Hamlin, out of position.

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/rugby- ... -1-9674060
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
wall_of_voodoo

Post by wall_of_voodoo »

Greenwood is integral to the current team and the RFL (and others) know he will be a massive loss against a forward dominant side like Catalans.

I'm not saying he didn't deserve the ban.

Discipline is an issue at the moment for players. Needless ones, maybe given in frustration or even just downright acts of stupidity like Greenwood or Tautai's are hurting the team. Not even going to talk about off-field discipline.

Are we really such a "dirty" or indisciplined team - worse than other SL teams??
I'm a better fan than you
Because I don't "Boo"!!!

Yes I bloody know transfer fees do not count on the salary cap for those illiterates that need it explaining to them because they assume everyone is as thick as they are :roll:
Mickw

Post by Mickw »

If that's a one match ban then so is every high tackle ,that's against the rules and potentially more damaging. Absolute joke ,
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

Mickw wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:26 am
Mickw wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:39 pm Thought this was RL not bloody toddy winks .

However, your comment is an attempt to justify thuggery, which has no place in rugby league of all sports. There's enough ways to hurt an opponent within the rules without resorting to deliberately trying to injure a fellow player.

I condemned the thug Brett Ferres for his tackle which cost Gilly nearly a season and could have ended his career, and *if* Greenwood deliberately did this he deserves the same condemnation - though I hope it was accidental.
he,s accused of standing on a players ankle so there's no way to prove it one way or another, it doesn't say stamp .so you can climb down if your little moralistic soap box.
Mick, l emphasised the *if* and at no point implied that Joe is guilty.

But (it seems to me) that if we disagree with Ferres risking maiming Gildart, if we disagree with Manfredi having "his teeth knocked down his throat", then we are saying that there should be clear rules and sanctions. Surely these should apply equally to all teams, including Wigan?
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
Mickw

Post by Mickw »

morley pie eater wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:15 pm
Mickw wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:26 am

Mick, l emphasised the *if* and at no point implied that Joe is guilty.

But (it seems to me) that if we disagree with Ferres risking maiming Gildart, if we disagree with Manfredi having "his teeth knocked down his throat", then we are saying that there should be clear rules and sanctions. Surely these should apply equally to all teams, including Wigan?
well "if" I was a betting man I would bet that no other player from any club will be suspended for anything so trivial this season, we do seem to get cited more than other clubs.
First Try Tickle

Post by First Try Tickle »

TBH I was very surprised he didn't get a ban for the late hit at the Warrington game, so maybe they think together they deserve a ban.

It was either deliberate or not. If he did mean it then it should get more than one game as he could of broken his ankle and put him out for a couple of months.
Mickw

Post by Mickw »

I'll be amazed "if" we don't have anyone cited before the stains game.We"ll see.