Wigan Warriors' Joe Greenwood facing a ban

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Wigan Warriors' Joe Greenwood facing a ban

Post by josie andrews »

Joe Greenwood is set to miss Sunday's game against Catalans through suspension.

The forward has been accused of 'intentionally standing on ankle' of a Salford player in yesterday's 30-22 win, in which he scored one of the Warriors' five tries.

The Grade A charge carries a one match penalty notice which would rule him out of Sunday's home match against the Dragons.

He has until 11am tomorrow to request a personal hearing and contest either the charge, or the punishment. No other players from the match are facing bans.

With Liam Farrell out with a pectoral injury, the loss of Greenwood would weaken the Warriors' backrow.

Liam Paisley, who scored a try for dual-registration partners Swinton yesterday, is one possible option to replace him or Adrian Lam may choose to play a middle, such as Gabe Hamlin, out of position.

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/rugby- ... -1-9671178
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Re: Wigan Warriors' Joe Greenwood facing a ban

Post by josie andrews »

I don’t remember seeing this & he doesn’t seem the kind of player who would do something like this deliberately.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
pedro

Post by pedro »

Just watched it on Wigan TV its on the extended highlights. He stands on him, intentional I dont know.
Mickw

Post by Mickw »

Thought this was RL not bloody toddy winks .
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

Mickw wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:39 pm Thought this was RL not bloody toddy winks .
I don't know what happened and if it was intentional - neither do you, Mick.

However, your comment is an attempt to justify thuggery, which has no place in rugby league of all sports. There's enough ways to hurt an opponent within the rules without resorting to deliberately trying to injure a fellow player.

I condemned the thug Brett Ferres for his tackle which cost Gilly nearly a season and could have ended his career, and *if* Greenwood deliberately did this he deserves the same condemnation - though I hope it was accidental.
. . . . . . ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Wigan Warriors set to challenge Joe Greenwood charge

Wigan Warriors are planning to challenge the charge which is threatening to scrum Joe Greenwood out of Sunday's clash with Catalans. The forward was earlier today charged by the RFL’s match review panel of ‘intentionally standing on the ankle’ of a Salford player in Sunday’s 30-22 win, in which he scored one of the Warriors’ five tries.

The Grade A charge carries a one match penalty notice which would rule him out of Sunday’s home match against the Dragons.

But Warriors confirmed last night they plan to take up their right to request a personal hearing with the RFL's disciplinary panel tonight to contest the charge in the hope he will be cleared to play.

Under the disciplinary process, clubs have until 11am on Tuesdays to inform the RFL of their intention to challenge a charge or punishment. No other players from the match are facing bans.

With Liam Farrell out with a pectoral injury, the loss of Greenwood would significantly weaken the Warriors’ backrow.

Liam Paisley, who scored a try for dual-registration partners Swinton on Sunday, is one possible option to replace him or Adrian Lam may choose to play a middle, such as Gabe Hamlin, out of position.

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/rugby- ... -1-9671382
old hooker

Post by old hooker »

morley pie eater wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:19 pm
Mickw wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:39 pm Thought this was RL not bloody toddy winks .
I don't know what happened and if it was intentional - neither do you, Mick.

However, your comment is an attempt to justify thuggery, which has no place in rugby league of all sports. There's enough ways to hurt an opponent within the rules without resorting to deliberately trying to injure a fellow player.

I condemned the thug Brett Ferres for his tackle which cost Gilly nearly a season and could have ended his career, and *if* Greenwood deliberately did this he deserves the same condemnation - though I hope it was accidental.

Agree fully Morley
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

morley pie eater wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:19 pm I don't know what happened and if it was intentional - neither do you, Mick.

Greenwood isn’t the type of player to do something intentionally such as this IMO
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

A player doesnt have to be a dirty player to do foul play....... rugby players have good memories( esecially when a certain player has fouled them in the past)...... its part of the game........ its a tough sport
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

josie andrews wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:51 am
morley pie eater wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:19 pm I don't know what happened and if it was intentional - neither do you, Mick.

Greenwood isn’t the type of player to do something intentionally such as this IMO
I certainly hope so Josie as you say he’s a nice lad so let’s hope it was an accident.