Why Wigan Warriors need to end the Shaun Edwards saga quickly' - comment

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
LORENZO

Re: Why Wigan Warriors need to end the Shaun Edwards saga quickly' - comment

Post by LORENZO »

Sadly there are not many postings asking Shaun Edwards to reconsider his position and commit to his Wigan agreement, all the postings seeking to blame one or the other.
I for one hope he will and if we can fill several pages of this site asking him to join us then who knows.
Bushy

Post by Bushy »

Get Waney back and tell Gizmo to do one.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Bushy wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:43 pm Get Waney back and tell Gizmo to do one.
Well given we fans weren’t really given the full story as to why he left I really can’t see wh he’s want to come back to be honest
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

fozzieskem wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:08 pm
Bushy wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:43 pm Get Waney back and tell Gizmo to do one.
Well given we fans weren’t really given the full story as to why he left I really can’t see wh he’s want to come back to be honest
Not saying it is but we have nothing to say what we were told isnt true, just the usual rumour mill.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Bring Waney back, Can really see fans returning in their thousands for that one
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

I think Edwards’ legacy is tainted somewhat in respect of the man he is, not the player he was, for us.

His playing legacy is unquestioned... what happened after he will be snubbed.

It’d be hard to clap him on the pitch in 20 years time when Wigan celebrates 50 years since the start of 8-in-a-row or something...
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote:
DaveO wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:58 am The press quote from the everything rugby league site is more or less what I think.

The interesting thing is the rumour about Wigan being up for sale and the mention of not owning its own ground.

The for sale rumour mention is the first time I can recall that hitting the press but I take it with a pinch of salt unless anyone can offer any more insight.

As to Wigan not owning its own ground making a sale problematic, that is just daft. A ground is only an asset if either a) you intent sell it to realise that asset or b) it generates an income 12 months of the year and makes a profit.

You might also mortgage it to raise cash but that only works once I would have thought and then it becomes a liability anyway.

No one buys an RL club for the potential income!
Could the ground issue not be a problem for a potentially owner if our terms change with the owners of the stadium?

I dont know what the agreement is but if you own your own ground you effectively know what youre dealing with if you rent unless the agreement is years in advance terms could quickly become unfavourable
The terms are supposed to be very good and lease has a good number of years to run. There is no incentive for the stadium owners to try and alter them to the extent it would make it not viable for Wigan RL to remain as tenants. Wigan RL are the users that mean the stadium gets sufficient use.

The only reason they might want Wigan RL out is if they wanted and could afford to keep the ground idle when the soccer team isn’t using it. I don’t believe the terms of the sale allow this or it would be a viable option.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

DaveO wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:06 pm
Wigan_forever1985 wrote:
DaveO wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:58 am The press quote from the everything rugby league site is more or less what I think.

The interesting thing is the rumour about Wigan being up for sale and the mention of not owning its own ground.

The for sale rumour mention is the first time I can recall that hitting the press but I take it with a pinch of salt unless anyone can offer any more insight.

As to Wigan not owning its own ground making a sale problematic, that is just daft. A ground is only an asset if either a) you intent sell it to realise that asset or b) it generates an income 12 months of the year and makes a profit.

You might also mortgage it to raise cash but that only works once I would have thought and then it becomes a liability anyway.

No one buys an RL club for the potential income!
Could the ground issue not be a problem for a potentially owner if our terms change with the owners of the stadium?

I dont know what the agreement is but if you own your own ground you effectively know what youre dealing with if you rent unless the agreement is years in advance terms could quickly become unfavourable
The terms are supposed to be very good and lease has a good number of years to run. There is no incentive for the stadium owners to try and alter them to the extent it would make it not viable for Wigan RL to remain as tenants. Wigan RL are the users that mean the stadium gets sufficient use.

The only reason they might want Wigan RL out is if they wanted and could afford to keep the ground idle when the soccer team isn’t using it. I don’t believe the terms of the sale allow this or it would be a viable option.
Both points are correct.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
wall_of_voodoo

Post by wall_of_voodoo »

shaunedwardsfanclub wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:08 pm
DaveO wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:06 pm
Wigan_forever1985 wrote:

Both points are correct.
My opinion is that when the terms of the lease were agreed, Whelan owned the Warriors and at that time he was prepared to put money in to prop it up when funding and sponsorship dropped off. I even think (if memory serves) one of the years we were accused of breaking the salary cap we got not one single penny from the shirt sponsorship .

Now I think there is 2 or 3 years left on the 25 year lease which WILL need renewing very soon.

The current terms leave the club with no sale of merchandise at the ground itself (apart from adhoc stalls every once in a while), I think all the money from the bar and food sales go to the holding company and the only money incoming is from gate receipts (which are dropping) and SKY tv (which also may drop the next time). Wigan are in a pickle and selling assets such as Orrell etc is the last resort of a club going bust (remember Central Park).

If IL hasn't the willingness or ability to pump money into the club, if he cannot find huge sponsorship monies or massive improvements in the gates receipts,then the renegotiation for the next lease will make or break the club for the next 25 years
Last edited by wall_of_voodoo on Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm a better fan than you
Because I don't "Boo"!!!

Yes I bloody know transfer fees do not count on the salary cap for those illiterates that need it explaining to them because they assume everyone is as thick as they are :roll:
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Im sure Lenegan said at the end of season dinner the lease ran to 2025 with a healthy option after that, but im happy to be corrected, though I do remember him certainly waxing lyrical of the latic's needing wigan as tenants.

Lets not forget the new owners are exploring the possibility of having concerts at the DW,no bad thing either, but given the state Little mix left Huddersfields pitch in last summer it does make you wonder where they could stage said concerts and rest the grass etc.