19-man squad vs Catalans

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Exiled Wiganer

Re: 19-man squad vs Catalans

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

I don’t think it is unfair or even mean to point out that more people post when we lose than when we win. It is a combination of human nature and, I suspect, some genuine trolls.
I think it is hard to dismiss Powell out of hand in his absence, as he has spilt blood for the cause and was central to some epic victories. What we are seeing I think is exactly what Lam planned - he signed Sammutt precisely to spread the work load away from Williams, so Powell/Leuluai were always going to be fighting over the 9 shirt. It was such a pity Sammutt got that ban at the start of the year. We have had some really harsh bans this year. As for the best 9, Shorrocks may be an answer. Time will tell.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

I thought at Salford there were signs of more interplay between Williams and Sammut, rather than just split halves, and I think that continued more successfully today. Sammut was very good, they chucked a fair bit at him in defence, not surprisingly, and I thought he handled it pretty well, although he did come off second-best against Sam Kasiamo, but no great shame in that! Kicking game was generally pretty good too (not just from Sammut), and we haven't been able to say that much lately. Nice to see defenders having to run back and fetch the ball from open grass.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

Exiled Wiganer wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:01 am I don’t think it is unfair or even mean to point out that more people post when we lose than when we win. It is a combination of human nature and, I suspect, some genuine trolls.
I think it is hard to dismiss Powell out of hand in his absence, as he has spilt blood for the cause and was central to some epic victories. What we are seeing I think is exactly what Lam planned - he signed Sammutt precisely to spread the work load away from Williams, so Powell/Leuluai were always going to be fighting over the 9 shirt. It was such a pity Sammutt got that ban at the start of the year. We have had some really harsh bans this year. As for the best 9, Shorrocks may be an answer. Time will tell.
Yeah, I agree with all of that!
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

moto748 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:10 am I thought at Salford there were signs of more interplay between Williams and Sammut, rather than just split halves, and I think that continued more successfully today. Sammut was very good, they chucked a fair bit at him in defence, not surprisingly, and I thought he handled it pretty well, although he did come off second-best against Sam Kasiamo, but no great shame in that! Kicking game was generally pretty good too (not just from Sammut), and we haven't been able to say that much lately. Nice to see defenders having to run back and fetch the ball from open grass.
I agree r.e Sammut, dispite not being overly inspired by his signing, if he can put in performances like that regularly he will be a very astute signing.

I don't know if it was lams instructions yesterday but it was refreshing to see players play what is in front of them as well as to a structured plan and sammuts chip and chase and later on his try was nice highlights of the day.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

DaveO wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:41 pm
morley pie eater wrote:
Caboosegg wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:31 pm

DaveO i am not trying to play the victum, if i want to have a cheeky little dig about the lack of comments during the match due to us wining i don't see why i can't, we have a hell of enough digs about the "happy clappers" and "IL can't do no wrong" crowd when stuff isn't going well.

that being said if you look above i have tried to move on from this and post about the match (which i also did in my orginal post) if you wish to continue a who's wrong and whos right debate there is always PM instead of this thread. (although i feel we are both wasting our time).
Well said, Caboose.

The problem for the forum is that for everyone who "gives as good as they get", there are probably 20 or 30 others who just log out and/or go elsewhere.

This . . .
You were trolling.

You posted a snide remark that was basically trolling and you could not waste to post it. To try and play the victim now is silly.
. . . is plain wrong. It's a personal attack, and should be deleted by Admins - oh, I forgot, DaveO is an Admin.
Caboose was trolling. Fishing for responses, having a dig in general. We won 42-0 and his last sentence in the post after the match was provocative. He knows he was wrong but won’t admit it and instead accuses those who point this out of having a go. Silly.
"Fishing for responses" is not a definition of trolling, Dave, but it does show that you're struggling to justify your over-the-top response.

There's been long-standing banter between Happy Clappers and Moaners. Sometimes it goes too far or gets a bit personal. I'd say it's what you'd expect.

Many of the problems arise from the fact that humour and sarcasm are harder to recognise/interpret in writing with no intonation or facial expression to help.

The vast majority of posters accept that others' views will be different than their own.
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
Mickw

Post by Mickw »

Thank you Adrian Lam,
Thank you for entertaining me yesterday.Something I've not felt for a long time and I am actually looking forward to matches again .I hope and suspect that this is just the start and we're far from where we want to be but I'm excited for journey.
Thank you for sticking with your beliefs and hopefully you can turn round our wane loving fickle fanbase who don't attend matches.
It was great to see our players gain in confidence visibaly as the game went on and actually enjoy themselves.Thanks again and keep up the good work.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Mickw wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:06 am Thank you Adrian Lam,
Thank you for entertaining me yesterday.Something I've not felt for a long time and I am actually looking forward to matches again .I hope and suspect that this is just the start and we're far from where we want to be but I'm excited for journey.
Thank you for sticking with your beliefs and hopefully you can turn round our wane loving fickle fanbase who don't attend matches.
It was great to see our players gain in confidence visibaly as the game went on and actually enjoy themselves.Thanks again and keep up the good work.
Well said Mick 😊 thoroughly enjoyed that game & it was pleasing to see the defence has improved, as Lam & players have kept saying, they just needed to “click” & get both attacking & defending working together.

We still haven’t had a settled side this season, but what a joy it was to see those young players coming into the the team & not looking out of place.

😊🏉🍒⚪️
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Mickw

Post by Mickw »

I've no axe to grind with wane ,he is one of our own and he did it his way with alot of success. However more entertaining rugby will put bums on seats because there was no more than 8 thousand on yesterday ,nowhere near 11 thousand that was stated.
We made more clean breaks the last two games that we've managed a long time ,hopefully this will continue.
First Try Tickle

Post by First Try Tickle »

I thought all the young lads did really well against a very big and experience pack.

Pity I don't which ones which and the gold writing doesn't help.

Who's the big tall lad with black hair and the socks down walking back to the left of the sticks after every try. Is it Partington or Byrne. :geek:
Mickw

Post by Mickw »

I agree them numbers need changing asap.