Wigan Warriors sill waiting for Shaun Edwards to "come to his own decision"

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Nezza Faz

Re: Wigan Warriors sill waiting for Shaun Edwards to

Post by Nezza Faz »

DaveO wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:31 am
Nezza Faz wrote:Plus, if he had signed a contract anyway, and then got the nod for England ru, or Wasps (where his son is) to sign on there, it's not feasible to think we could insist he still comes to Wigan.
If his heart was elsewhere, how useful would an unhappy coach be if we held him to this contract ?
How about if he had signed a contract Wigan would not have needed to insist anything because it would have been a done deal and Edwards would not have been approached or even if he was,he would have replied he’s under contract?

You think even moneybags RU would want to buy out the contract? Edwards isn’t the only coach in RU.

There is only one reason we are where we are. The fact there was no contract signed. Pure idiocy on the clubs part and too many apologists. IL has made himself look like an amateur and however he tries to spin it he will only fool those who want to be fooled it’s all Edwards fault if that is his tack.
As posted elsewhere, in Sport in general today. contracts as you know are not worth the paper they're written on. To go a step further, oral contracts have the same legal connect, anyway.
But IL has not come out of this well, his failure in communication is his undoing, in a number of respects.
Hopefully, like others, he'll learn from this sorry episode.
southportcdm

Re: Wigan Warriors sill waiting for Shaun Edwards to "come to his own decision"

Post by southportcdm »

According to the latest reports Leicester tigers tried to get Shaun to sign up before the end of this season and now want him for next. Does this put us fifth in line behind Wales, England, Wasps and Leicester? I'd be embarrassed if we took him now.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

What sort of Legend pisses all over the club that made him a Legend, Bin him off, Don't let him back in the ground and give the gig to Lammy
nitsua

Post by nitsua »

I think it was about a week ago, I read on BBC text that French RU were after signing the Welsh Head Coach to sign for them next .season; perhaps Shaun is hoping to get the Welsh Head Coach position.
AndyNick

Post by AndyNick »

nitsua wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:01 pm I think it was about a week ago, I read on BBC text that French RU were after signing the Welsh Head Coach to sign for them next .season; perhaps Shaun is hoping to get the Welsh Head Coach position.
They've already announced Wayne Pivac as the next coach and he's indicated that he will be appointing his own backroom staff hence Edwards being available.

For me the whole thing stinks and the time is now for Lenegan to say "you know what, we've ballsed this up in not getting things signed but lets just forget the whole thing" If Edwards comes now it's going to feel like we're the back up choice because the first choice didn't work out.

As much as Lenegan is very much to blame here (i'm not for one second disputing the fact that Lenegan and the club have dropped an almighty clanger here) I don't like the fact that he's essentially gone public with a "come and get me" invitation after the 6 Nations. He'll either end up at Wasps (who have the spending power to put big money on the table) or with the RFU if they bin Jones off after the world cup. Lets just cut our losses now and either offer Lam an extension or line up someone else to come in next season long term, and not wait around to see if a guy who clearly doesn't want to come to us gets a better offer or not.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Nezza Faz wrote:
DaveO wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:31 am
Nezza Faz wrote:Plus, if he had signed a contract anyway, and then got the nod for England ru, or Wasps (where his son is) to sign on there, it's not feasible to think we could insist he still comes to Wigan.
If his heart was elsewhere, how useful would an unhappy coach be if we held him to this contract ?
How about if he had signed a contract Wigan would not have needed to insist anything because it would have been a done deal and Edwards would not have been approached or even if he was,he would have replied he’s under contract?

You think even moneybags RU would want to buy out the contract? Edwards isn’t the only coach in RU.

There is only one reason we are where we are. The fact there was no contract signed. Pure idiocy on the clubs part and too many apologists. IL has made himself look like an amateur and however he tries to spin it he will only fool those who want to be fooled it’s all Edwards fault if that is his tack.
As posted elsewhere, in Sport in general today. contracts as you know are not worth the paper they're written on. To go a step further, oral contracts have the same legal connect, anyway.
Both statements are wrong. As long as the terms of a contract as not illegal they are enforceable. You can’t walk away from one without consequences. The club that holds your contract might let you out of it but if it did, it would at the very least be able to paint itself as the injured party. In reality it could demand compensation which in Wigan’s case is a bit of a cottage industry anyway.

As to oral contracts being binding. In the 18th century maybe. All you have to do to scupper an oral contract is be dishonest about the terms agreed. As they are not written down you quickly end up with a legal impasse trying to enforce an oral contract. So they hardly ever get to court. All Edwards would have to do is say IL promised X, Y and Z, however unrealistic those things were (like signing half the England RU team) and its his word against IL.

The difference between the two types of contact is huge. The written one is enforceable in practice, the oral one only in theory. Had Wigan got Edwards to sign a contract they could choose to enforce it or not. They have not got a hope in hell of enforcing a gentleman’s agreement so the club should never have even considered it.
But IL has not come out of this well, his failure in communication is his undoing, in a number of respects.
Hopefully, like others, he'll learn from this sorry episode.
Agreed. He was clearly very pleased to have got Edwards. What he was thinking not securing his signature I have no idea.

Had he done so I sincerely believe Edwards would not have gone public with any reservations about coming and if anyone else suggested this, IL could have nipped it in the bud by responding by saying Edwards was our coach in 2020 without even speaking to Edwards himself.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

Looks like hand shakes are used in the NRL as well....
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Caboosegg wrote:Looks like hand shakes are used in the NRL as well....
Go on then, enlighten us.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Caboosegg wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:07 am Looks like hand shakes are used in the NRL as well....
???🤔🤔🤔
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

I was told two weeks ago another reason Edwards isn’t happy with the situation at Wigan is that the club didn’t tell him that George Williams wouldn’t be at the club in 2020!

How true that is, is anybody’s guess.
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan