Wigan Warriors sill waiting for Shaun Edwards to "come to his own decision"

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Wigan Warriors sill waiting for Shaun Edwards to "come to his own decision"

Post by josie andrews »

Ian Lenagan has provided an update on the 2020 coaching saga - and said he is still waiting for Shaun Edwards to "come to his own decision."

He used his programme notes for today's match against Catalans to thank fans for their patience.

And he wrote: "I am determined to provide our fans with the clarity they deserve once Shaun Edwards has come to his own decision."

He added: "I am conscious that the club's coaching set-up for 2020 and beyond has dominated the recent news articles.

"I know that we need to clear up this situation as quickly as possible in a dignified manner."

Wigan had announced Edwards had signed a three-year deal but this month admitted it was a "handshake" arrangement, after Edwards put himself in the shop window for another job following Wales' Six Nations title win.

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/rugby- ... 683062/amp
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Caboosegg

Re: Wigan Warriors sill waiting for Shaun Edwards to "come to his own decision"

Post by Caboosegg »

I know that is partially PR spin but the club is handling this right atm, (they messed up in the contract) but i hope it shows now that it is SE and not Wigan if he doesn't come.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
cow yeds

Post by cow yeds »

Caboosegg wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:26 pm I know that is partially PR spin but the club is handling this right atm, (they messed up in the contract) but i hope it shows now that it is SE and not Wigan if he doesn't come.
If the club had handled it right at the outset with a contract on the table none of this saga would have happened. They know they have slipped up so now they are slowly putting the onus on Shaun. The lads away for a family holiday with his partner and little girl he doesn't want to be mithered in that time. Too many people playing guessing games and nobody actually knows anything.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

cow yeds wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:09 pm
Caboosegg wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:26 pm I know that is partially PR spin but the club is handling this right atm, (they messed up in the contract) but i hope it shows now that it is SE and not Wigan if he doesn't come.
If the club had handled it right at the outset with a contract on the table none of this saga would have happened. They know they have slipped up so now they are slowly putting the onus on Shaun. The lads away for a family holiday with his partner and little girl he doesn't want to be mithered in that time. Too many people playing guessing games and nobody actually knows anything.
Im not going to pretend I thought Edwards coming was a good idea but honestly even if he had signed a contract if a union side had dangled a bigger one he'd have taken it, money talks and in sport especially.
Nezza Faz

Post by Nezza Faz »

Plus, if he had signed a contract anyway, and then got the nod for England ru, or Wasps (where his son is) to sign on there, it's not feasible to think we could insist he still comes to Wigan.
If his heart was elsewhere, how useful would an unhappy coach be if we held him to this contract ?
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Nezza Faz wrote:Plus, if he had signed a contract anyway, and then got the nod for England ru, or Wasps (where his son is) to sign on there, it's not feasible to think we could insist he still comes to Wigan.
If his heart was elsewhere, how useful would an unhappy coach be if we held him to this contract ?
How about if he had signed a contract Wigan would not have needed to insist anything because it would have been a done deal and Edwards would not have been approached or even if he was,he would have replied he’s under contract?

You think even moneybags RU would want to buy out the contract? Edwards isn’t the only coach in RU.

There is only one reason we are where we are. The fact there was no contract signed. Pure idiocy on the clubs part and too many apologists. IL has made himself look like an amateur and however he tries to spin it he will only fool those who want to be fooled it’s all Edwards fault if that is his tack.

Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

I cant believe you think that if Edwards had signed one straight away that he would be coming.

Its to easy to break contracts i mean look.at denny solomona he just retired from RL

I will also offer an alternative opinion DaveO,

"Only those who want to belive that SE isn't at fault will be fooled by his media interviews"

So far we know:

1.The club didnt get a contract
2.SE was happy to stand in front of the camera in a wigan polo and talk about his ambition to coach wigan.
3. SE asked to be left alone by the club until after the 6 nations.
4.Wales preformance in the 6 nations was put down to SE defense and resulted in a major rise in stock.
5.SE comes out in an interview saying "IF" he coaches wigan
6. The club dont respond or do anything on the back of this.
7.SE says hes a free Agent and blames wigan
8. The club release a statement that does quite match SE version of events.

now i see plenty of blame on both sides in this whole event, but as you have said some people will be fooled to believe its only one sides fault!
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

New twist in the Wigan Warriors-Shaun Edwards saga

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/rugby- ... -1-9685295
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Woody1989

Post by Woody1989 »

This whole saga has gone too far. Why are we allowing RU clubs to fight over Edwards in the vague hope that he turns them all down and comes to us? Even if he did choose Wigan now, his entire tenure at the club would be tainted by this mess.

Lenagan needs to grow a spine, cut ties now and set about finding another coach. The club should not be bending the knee to anyone like this, even a legend like Edwards.
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

Woody1989 wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:34 am This whole saga has gone too far. Why are we allowing RU clubs to fight over Edwards in the vague hope that he turns them all down and comes to us? Even if he did choose Wigan now, his entire tenure at the club would be tainted by this mess.

Lenagan needs to grow a spine, cut ties now and set about finding another coach. The club should not be bending the knee to anyone like this, even a legend like Edwards.
With conflicting statements and lack of hard facts, we're all in the dark. IL has plenty form at not announcing things until he's ready - usually after it's been chewed over and spit out by everybody else.

In this case, I'd suggest only two people know the full story, and neither of them posts on this forum. We'll only find out the whole truth when one or both of them decide to tell us, maybe in Edwards' memoirs?

In the meantime, I'm pretty confident that Giz won't be here next year. I have no interest in union, so I for one am prepared to get behind Lammy and the team and forget this happened.
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐