Club Statement: Gabriel Hamlin

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
wall_of_voodoo

Re: Club Statement: Gabriel Hamlin

Post by wall_of_voodoo »

ian.birchall wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:10 pm
wall_of_voodoo wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:24 pm
shaunedwardsfanclub wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:23 pm

He's out of contract at the end of the season so I wouldn't think that we will seem him again.
Would you not say Wigan have a "duty of care" to him in the meantime though?
No. I hope he was made to pay his own air fare home. Time to stop pretending that the Club owes a duty of care to any player caught drug taking or drink driving. Whatever happened to personal responsibility.
Two words for you

Terry Newton
I'm a better fan than you
Because I don't "Boo"!!!

Yes I bloody know transfer fees do not count on the salary cap for those illiterates that need it explaining to them because they assume everyone is as thick as they are :roll:
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

wall_of_voodoo wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:34 pm

No. I hope he was made to pay his own air fare home. Time to stop pretending that the Club owes a duty of care to any player caught drug taking or drink driving. Whatever happened to personal responsibility.
Two words for you

Terry Newton
So the club has a duty of care on every single player, regardless of what they do, because of the risk they could have mental health issues that lead to suicide or something else serious?

Open question not an attack
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

Agree with the last poster you can’t cite Terry Newton for everything that’s wrong. Gabe would have actively looked for drugs. If you move to Perth and know nobody and want drugs, you actively make an effort to find out where you can get them.

There is no Wigan’s Way.

To be honoured to play for Wigan and live life accordingly. Fans at the end of the day are the Club
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

Two words for you

Terry Newton
So do we have a duty of care to Brett Dallas or Brett Kenny?

No

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
Of Fame
AncientWarrior

Post by AncientWarrior »

I think some posters are confusing ‘duty of care’, which is a legal obligation with a moral obligation to look out for a person’s well-being.
IIRC, it was first mooted at Wigan by Brian Noble with reference to Sam Tomkins. He was explaining his reluctance to play the very young and slightly built Tomkins in the hurly-burly of Superleague and in that context it could be argued that Wigan did, indeed, owe a duty of care to avoid him unnecessary injury. Thankfully, he debunked that idea when he was eventually played with room to spare.
A word of encouragement during a failure is worth more than an hour of praise after success.

morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

ancientnloyal wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:09 am
Two words for you

Terry Newton
So do we have a duty of care to Brett Dallas or Brett Kenny?

No
Sorry, A&L, but your answer baffles me. The Terry Newton case showed that a club ought to consider the state of mind of a player even when (or especially when could be argued) he is guilty of an offence.

To bring Dallas or Kenny into this is, at best, a bit daft.
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

They have difficulties too.

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
Of Fame
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

ancientnloyal wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:04 pm They have difficulties too.
Sure, and l wouldn't object to the club offering a helping hand to any former player. But to compare our responsibility for a current 22 year old player to that for someone who played for us for part of a season 34 years ago (in Kenny's case) is surely stretching things a bit far?
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Wasn't Newton a Wakefield Trinity player when it went tits up?, Therefore nothing to do with Wigan
wall_of_voodoo

Post by wall_of_voodoo »

morley pie eater wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:19 pm
ancientnloyal wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:04 pm They have difficulties too.
Sure, and l wouldn't object to the club offering a helping hand to any former player. But to compare our responsibility for a current 22 year old player to that for someone who played for us for part of a season 34 years ago (in Kenny's case) is surely stretching things a bit far?
Which is my point exactly

What someone does 5, 10 -20 odd years after playing is another matter to a player going off the rails whilst still under contract is another.

Perhaps those sanctimonious keyboard warriors on here who have never made a single mistake in their life would enjoy one of their family members making a mistake and thrown not only to the dogs but also be turned into some sort of social pariah without help?

Before you start going on about people being sacked in real life for these sort of things - yes they do , but not with it splashed all over the media both here and in Australia and also the subject of forums or newspapers or comments from the likes of Brian bloody Carney.

I do not know Hamlin, BUT I can guess he is distraught and shocked at upsetting his family and his friends and then acknowledging he has let himself down and possibly destroyed his career in the process. The lad cocked up and will and should be offered help as far as the club can. We are not suggesting or discussing we offer a new deal or a pay rise. That simply will not happen.

Will he play again depends on WHAT he is exactly charged with and where that chance would come from.
I'm a better fan than you
Because I don't "Boo"!!!

Yes I bloody know transfer fees do not count on the salary cap for those illiterates that need it explaining to them because they assume everyone is as thick as they are :roll: