19-Man Squad vs Tigers

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

19-Man Squad vs Tigers

Post by josie andrews »

Adrian Lam names 19-man squad to face Castleford Tigers on Friday

Greenwood and Tautai return for selection following suspensions

Sides meet at the Mend-A-Hose Jungle, 7:45pm in the Betfred Super League

Wigan Warriors Head Coach Adrian Lam has named his 19-man squad to face Castleford Tigers this Friday at the Mend-A-Hose Jungle in the Betfred Super League (K.O.7:45pm).

Last time the two sides met at the Mend-A-Hose Jungle the home side narrowly won 19-18 thanks to a Jamie Ellis drop goal. Adrian Lam’s men will be hoping for a different result this time around.

Injury News

Prop-forward Tony Clubb remains out this week with a knee injury.

Sam Powell continues his recovery from an ankle injury and is expected to return in 1-2 weeks.

Second row Liam Farrell remains on the comeback trail following a pectoral injury sustained during the World Club Challenge in February.

Winger Liam Marshall remains out with a knee injury sustained in the defeat to Huddersfield 3 weeks ago.

Joe Greenwood and Taulima Tautai served their respective bans last week, making them available this week.

Wigan 19-man squad to face Castleford Tigers:

Joe Bullock, Joe Burgess, Liam Byrne, Tom Davies, Ben Flower, Oliver Gildart, Joe Greenwood, Zak Hardaker, Willie Isa, Thomas Leuluai, Dom Manfredi, Romain Navarrete, Sean O’Loughlin, Oliver Partington, Jarrod Sammut, Dan Sarginson, Jake Shorrocks, Morgan Smithies, George Williams.

https://www.wiganwarriors.com/news/2019 ... dTQhwab.99
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Firestarter

Re: 19-Man Squad vs Tigers

Post by Firestarter »

Where is liam paisley????
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
moto748

Post by moto748 »

Firestarter wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 1:13 pm Where is liam paisley????

Replaced in the 19 by Greenwood?

Lockers was in the 19 for Cats (as was Davies).
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

Hes been outstanding what ive seen ov him...... suprised he didnt get a shout...... if lockers isnt 100% then get him in
moto748

Post by moto748 »

Smithies is a 13 and he is still in the squad.
Mickw

Post by Mickw »

It's a tough place to go and expose to many youngsters however considering our woeful record there in recent years I say like the England football team play the kids .
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Wigan Warriors players won't be distracted by Gabe Hamlin saga, insists Adrian Lam

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/rugby- ... -1-9692112
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Wigan Warriors' Zak Hardaker says he will be spurred on by fans' abuse at Castleford Tigers

Zak Hardaker has vowed to use the hostile reception at Castleford to his advantage tomorrow night. The full-back played a starring role during the Tigers’ whirlwind 2017 campaign and was shortlisted for the coveted Steve Prescott Man of Steel – only to be suspended ahead of their maiden appearance in a Grand Final, which they lost.

And he is braced for a noisy reception in his first match against his former club. Hardaker said: “I understand it’s going to be hostile and I know I’m going to get some stick. It’s going to be a little bit upsetting but I’m preparing for it. I hope it will spur me on though and work in my favour.

“If someone is calling me every name under the sun and it gets me angry, I’ll try take it out on someone on their team. I know from warm-up to getting out of there on the team bus it’s going to be there.”

Hardaker was banned for 14 months for testing positive for cocaine and after being axed by the Tigers, Wigan handed him the chance to revive his career. Asked whether jeers may be unfair given he was sacked, the 27-year-old replied:

“I’ve been in rugby for 10 years now, and if Sam (Tomkins) got booed at Wigan when he didn’t do anything wrong then I know what’s coming my way!

“The difference is (the DW) is a huge stadium so Sam was a bit far from the booing on Sunday, but at Castleford the fans can almost touch you so it’ll be a bit different.

“I’ve got mixed emotions. I’m upset with how it finished and I enjoyed my time there – the lads and the fans were great with me.

"When I saw the fixture list initially I didn’t think about it too much because it was eight or nine weeks away, but it’s flown around. “I don’t think my mum is going to go because it’s her birthday - though I’ve warned her she may hear the abuse even more because it’ll be on the TV! “But you’ve got to get in there as a professional and get it over and done with.”

Hardaker has made steady improvement this season and scored his first try for the club in last Sunday’s 42-0 thrashing of Catalans. With the three-quarters all impressing, Adrian Lam declared his back-five the best in Super League - and Hardaker is certainly enjoying the link-up play with his fellow backs.

He said: “Our back five is brilliant; Saints are the ones to catch but our back-five is really good. We’re getting a good connection together. I’m really looking forward to seeing how it develops when the ground firms up.

“Budgie is quicker than he was before. I’ve played against him and he was quick then – If he can catch a few more balls we’ll be alright! Gilly shows what he can do at centre, he’s a genius at times. Dom and Sarge have been playing really well too.

“I was frustrated with myself that I couldn’t be Man of Steel in round one, but Lammy sat me down and said he thinks I’ll hit my peak by Easter.

“I thought that’s too far away, but he’s probably bang on. I’ve been getting better each week.”

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/rugby- ... -1-9692394
First Try Tickle

Post by First Try Tickle »

Firestarter wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:56 pm Hes been outstanding what ive seen ov him...... suprised he didnt get a shout...... if lockers isnt 100% then get him in
The line he ran and then the one handed pass for Budgies try was brilliant for a youngster. If that was Westwood Sky would have it on the hourly news.

But even though he's not playing, with him, Byrne, Partington and Smithies, the future pack looks good. Edwards must be mad not to want to coach these to success.
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

Gutted i cant go cas tonight but im very confident our lads can win and hopefully win good........ just for a bit of fun im gonna see how many times biased eddie mentions mcshane being banned and there injuries....... my god he even mentioned it last night