Out-of-contract Wigan Warriors ace Joe Burgess insists focus is on form - not his future

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Out-of-contract Wigan Warriors ace Joe Burgess insists focus is on form - not his future

Post by josie andrews »

Red-hot Joe Burgess insists he has yet to consider his future beyond this season.

The winger, who backed up his hat-trick in the 42-0 win against Catalans with two tries at Castleford last Friday, is out-of-contract later this year. But he says his focus remains on cementing his place in the team after an 11-month injury lay-off.

“I’ve got to get back playing before I can think about that,” said the 24-year-old, who made his comeback against Salford little more than two weeks ago. “My first goal was to get in the team and cement my spot – and I’m not there yet.

“I’ll need five or six good games before I can feel it’s cemented. I’ve not even thought about a contract.”

Burgess was left out of the England elite training squad last month. “Trying to play well enough to get in the GB squad is a bigger goal than thinking of my contract,” he added.

Burgess burst onto the scene in 2014 and had a year in the NRL with Sydney Roosters and then Souths before returning to his hometown club.

Sean O'Loughlin, Thomas Leuluai and Tony Clubb are among the other Wigan players out of contract at the end of this year.

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/rugby- ... -1-9697071
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Caboosegg

Re: Out-of-contract Wigan Warriors ace Joe Burgess insists focus is on form - not his future

Post by Caboosegg »

If he finds form hes probably going to go back to NRL.

We could be in a bad way next season if we dont do some solid recruitment.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
wontoofree

Re: Out-of-contract Wigan Warriors ace Joe Burgess insists focus is on form - not his future

Post by wontoofree »

Yes, I agree that he'll be off to Oz as soon as his contract is up. It's a pity, as he is a really good winger.
Wandering Warrior

Post by Wandering Warrior »

I heard a couple of guys mention a deal was done and dusted at the Catalans game.
I was quite surprised as I think he's not been the same player before his injury since he came back!?
He certainly proved my thoughts wrong in the last couple of games, I suspect what they said may be near to the mark?
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

josie andrews wrote: Sean O'Loughlin, Thomas Leuluai and Tony Clubb are among the other Wigan players out of contract at the end of
This is the more interesting part of the article for me. Burgess may or may not stay but if he leaves we do have replacements if not as good at least up there with the rest of SL wingers.

With these three being the age they are I don’t think the club can just take the easy option and send them around again. It’s got to find quality replacements so this will be a true test of IL’s and KR’s recruitment policy and an indication of their ambitions for the club.

I can’t say I am full of confidence they will deliver.
old hooker

Post by old hooker »

Caboosegg wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 4:14 pm If he finds form hes probably going to go back to NRL.

We could be in a bad way next season if we dont do some solid recruitment.
We are not in the best of health this season
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

josie andrews wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 3:39 pm Red-hot Joe Burgess insists he has yet to consider his future beyond this season.

The winger, who backed up his hat-trick in the 42-0 win against Catalans with two tries at Castleford last Friday, is out-of-contract later this year. But he says his focus remains on cementing his place in the team after an 11-month injury lay-off.

“I’ve got to get back playing before I can think about that,” said the 24-year-old, who made his comeback against Salford little more than two weeks ago. “My first goal was to get in the team and cement my spot – and I’m not there yet.

“I’ll need five or six good games before I can feel it’s cemented. I’ve not even thought about a contract.”

Burgess was left out of the England elite training squad last month. “Trying to play well enough to get in the GB squad is a bigger goal than thinking of my contract,” he added.

Burgess burst onto the scene in 2014 and had a year in the NRL with Sydney Roosters and then Souths before returning to his hometown club.

Sean O'Loughlin, Thomas Leuluai and Tony Clubb are among the other Wigan players out of contract at the end of this year.

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/rugby- ... -1-9697071
Sammut, Sarginson.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
stevo38

Post by stevo38 »

sarginson can go
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

We sat in the stands on Friday at Cas and one thing they all agreed was Sarginson and how good a player he is?

Wonder what it is Wigan’s fans can’t see that others do?
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

fozzieskem wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:26 am We sat in the stands on Friday at Cas and one thing they all agreed was Sarginson and how good a player he is?

Wonder what it is Wigan’s fans can’t see that others do?
People have players they just don’t like no matter what! Which is very sad ☹️
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan