Shaun Edwards says he "hasn't made mind up" whether to return to Wigan Warriors or stay in rugby union

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Shaun Edwards says he "hasn't made mind up" whether to return to Wigan Warriors or stay in rugby union

Post by josie andrews »

Shaun Edwards says he has not yet decided his future as his old club Wigan continue to play the waiting game.

The Wales defence coach was unveiled as the Super League champions' head coach from 2020 last August, with another former player, Adrian Lam, holding the fort until then following the departure of Shaun Wane.

However, in the immediate aftermath of Wales' Six Nations Grand Slam triumph, Edwards, 52, revealed he had not signed a contract with Wigan and would effectively be unemployed at the end of the Rugby World Cup. In March, Wigan chairman Ian Lenagan issued a statement blaming himself for the confusion and said he agreed to a request from Edwards for more time to consider his future.

On Monday, Edwards made it clear he still needs more time to come to a decision. "I've not made my mind up about anything yet, to be honest," he told Press Association Sport.

"Obviously it's been a very busy time with the Six Nations. I haven't made my mind where I'm going yet."

Despite claiming he would be out of work in the autumn, Edwards is not thought to be short of job offers, mostly in rugby union.

He could yet stay with Wales under new head coach Wayne Pivac, while a switch to England cannot be ruled out and Edwards has also been linked with Gallagher Premiership clubs Wasps and Leicester.

Edwards admits he has plenty to think about and says he is not working to a specific time frame.

"There's moving your family obviously and kids being in school and stuff like that," he added. "So there's a lot of things to consider."

Lenagan says he will not hold Edwards to his "oral agreement" if he opts to pursue another job.

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/rugby- ... -1-9698352
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Re: Shaun Edwards says he "hasn't made mind up" whether to return to Wigan Warriors or stay in rugby union

Post by josie andrews »

FFS 😡

Just forget about him!
"There's moving your family obviously and kids being in school and stuff like that," he added. "So there's a lot of things to consider
He knew this would be the situation when he said he would be coach of Wigan Warriors!

Even if he did come now, I wouldn’t be interested in anything he did & that takes a lot for me to say! 😡
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
endoman

Re: Shaun Edwards says he "hasn't made mind up" whether to return to Wigan Warriors or stay in rugby union

Post by endoman »

Much that I still think he would do a great job, he's really not doing himself any favours with these interviews.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

But SE is a man of his word, he said it was a life long ambition to coach wigan at the interview so must be coming.

If he doesnt come its all IL and KS fault not because of the contract but they have obviously told him he isn't wanted.... why else would a man of his word not come.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
Green Machine

Post by Green Machine »

If he was a man of his word then there would be no story to tell. He’s obviously changed his mind.
old hooker

Post by old hooker »

Tell him to get on his bike, who does he think he is? taking so long to come to a decision hed make a good video ref
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Caboosegg wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:02 pm But SE is a man of his word, he said it was a life long ambition to coach wigan at the interview so must be coming.

If he doesnt come its all IL and KS fault not because of the contract but they have obviously told him he isn't wanted.... why else would a man of his word not come.
Two reasons. He isn't a man of his word and IL was stupid enough to give him an escape route with this ludicrous oral agreement.

I know you want to put 100% of the blame on Edwards and if he does not come that is his reputation ruined but for IL to announce him as coach in 12 months time without getting that signed off was and is ludicrous.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

DaveO wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:41 pm
Caboosegg wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:02 pm But SE is a man of his word, he said it was a life long ambition to coach wigan at the interview so must be coming.

Two reasons. He isn't a man of his word and IL was stupid enough to give him an escape route with this ludicrous oral agreement.

I know you want to put 100% of the blame on Edwards and if he does not come that is his reputation ruined but for IL to announce him as coach in 12 months time without getting that signed off was and is ludicrous.
I really don't DaveO but when the story first broke through SE interview with the paper everyone defended him as a man of his word and pointed at him not coming until after the 6 nation to back it up (sees out his deals).

The truth is IL was niave (really bad for a business man of his experience). First to not think that others would come knocking, second to not get him signed.

But SE has shown his true colours, im sorry if that tarnishes a legend for some but when the club has said, yeh sorry we didnt get a contract but look the jobs your still if you want it and you sit and umm and arr about it after stating its a life long ambition 🤔.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

He can piss off for me, Hope he never shows his face at the DW again, Lying sack of shite, He is no longer a favourite ex player of mine, If you give your word you stick by it, Can't be doing with arsewipes that let people down :evil:
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

I hope he comes. We'll have great pulling power to improve our squad with such a well known coach and he has a great coaching record in all the roles he's been in.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐