Adrian Lam may give another youngster a Wigan Warriors debut this weekend

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
endoman

Re: Adrian Lam may give another youngster a Wigan Warriors debut this weekend

Post by endoman »

He could do that if he was making 5 tackles a game, but at 50 plus tackles a game.......
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:11 pm
nathan_rugby wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:16 pm
Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:52 am

Escare has filled in at half back before, he's never played hooker to my knowledge but he would do a decent job IMO

Powell was given a chance at HB he was as ineffective as he is at hooker, theres not much you can do when you slower than anyone on the pitch
Based on what?
On the fact he has decent passing skills (think of pre tomkins return he was very good), and he is lightening quick off the mark, he could scoot against tiring defences and cause havoc in the same way that rob burrow used to do for leeds.

He wouldnt be the best hooker in the world but if we are short he is a better option to try for me
I’ve actually mentioned this to Morgan before!
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Escare has filled in at half back before, he's never played hooker to my knowledge but he would do a decent job IMO

Powell was given a chance at HB he was as ineffective as he is at hooker, theres not much you can do when you slower than anyone on the pitch
Based on what?
On the fact he has decent passing skills (think of pre tomkins return he was very good), and he is lightening quick off the mark, he could scoot against tiring defences and cause havoc in the same way that rob burrow used to do for leeds.

He wouldnt be the best hooker in the world but if we are short he is a better option to try for me
I think your view of the requirements at Hooker are too simplistic if you think some decent passing skills and being quick off the mark will suffice.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

josie andrews wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:09 pm

Based on what?

I’ve actually mentioned this to Morgan before!
What about his defence? Can he handle forwards running at him the whole game and thus making 40-50 tackles a game.

Does he have the game management and knowledge required to play hooker?

The fact many on this forum think he could make a good hooker based on his speed and "decent" passing skills shows a complete lack of understanding of the requirements the hooker position requires to be good, let alone excellent.
stevo38

Post by stevo38 »

simple no brainer ,escare all day ,powell shouldnt even be on bench the sooner they offload him the better
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

nathan_rugby wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:28 pm

Based on what?

I think your view of the requirements at Hooker are too simplistic if you think some decent passing skills and being quick off the mark will suffice.
No I am simply comparing him to Powell who is neither quick of the mark nor is his passing decent. The only thing Powell has escape on is defence and his stats are bloated by third man in efforts
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
w.thomas

Post by w.thomas »

Not a fan of powell but his defence is the best part of his game and against Cas it will be needed. Im a fan of Escare and like his go forward but his defence is nowhere near good enough for hooker. For me hes a fullback, Hes too lightweight to make all them tackles, imagine pauli pauli and chicken fafita running at him...
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

pedro wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:45 am ive never seen Escare play well at hooker of Hb or Powell for that matter

Based on what?
Based on the Escare has to play somewhere,anywhere argument they’ll have him at prop next
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Comical thread.

If playing hooker was so simple and down to a bit of speed and passing ability then surely every halfback would be able to play hooker as good as they can play Half.