Some Wigan Warriors are playing for their futures, says Adrian Lam

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Re: Some Wigan Warriors are playing for their futures, says Adrian Lam

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:43 am
First Try Tickle wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:26 am There is no way that Sarginson and Powell will released at the end of this season, in fact I can only see them leaving when they retire as I can't see anyone coming in for them. They are both just what coaches like, good trainers, good at listening and doing what they are told. Both are real triers but just not good enough. Hankinson must be banging his head against the wall wondering how Sarginson gets on before him.

Its the players like Wells, Ganson, Forsyth, Field etc. who need releasing. These guy can't get a look in even though we are massively depleted.

I don't know much about Callum Field, but I know he's a prop and he's almost 22 and we are really short at the moment. So where is he....Swinton ??
Exactly this

Sarginson and Powell are typical examples of a "Wigan" player now. Sometimes i wonder how much of our team make up is down to Rads mentality. Rads (through his own admission) was a trier someone who worked hard to make up for what he lacked in natural talent. I think though Rads underestimated the amount of natural talent he had. I often think people sign players they see themselves in and if Rads is mainly responsible for players (like we are told is the case) then he will pick the train hards, rather than people who are more naturally gifted.......just a theory
The club has a lot of naturally gifted players at U19 and U16 level. Unfortunately, being naturally gifted doesn't guarantee that you will be a success you need desire, a good work ethic and a little bit of luck. The game is littered with the type of player you describe but many have not made it to the top, why? Rugby is played as a team, a sum of all parts. You cannot be successful without the workhorses, the more gifted guys still need time, space and field position to be effective.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

shaunedwardsfanclub wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:08 pm
Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:43 am
First Try Tickle wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:26 am There is no way that Sarginson and Powell will released at the end of this season, in fact I can only see them leaving when they retire as I can't see anyone coming in for them. They are both just what coaches like, good trainers, good at listening and doing what they are told. Both are real triers but just not good enough. Hankinson must be banging his head against the wall wondering how Sarginson gets on before him.

Its the players like Wells, Ganson, Forsyth, Field etc. who need releasing. These guy can't get a look in even though we are massively depleted.

I don't know much about Callum Field, but I know he's a prop and he's almost 22 and we are really short at the moment. So where is he....Swinton ??
Exactly this

Sarginson and Powell are typical examples of a "Wigan" player now. Sometimes i wonder how much of our team make up is down to Rads mentality. Rads (through his own admission) was a trier someone who worked hard to make up for what he lacked in natural talent. I think though Rads underestimated the amount of natural talent he had. I often think people sign players they see themselves in and if Rads is mainly responsible for players (like we are told is the case) then he will pick the train hards, rather than people who are more naturally gifted.......just a theory
The club has a lot of naturally gifted players at U19 and U16 level. Unfortunately, being naturally gifted doesn't guarantee that you will be a success you need desire, a good work ethic and a little bit of luck. The game is littered with the type of player you describe but many have not made it to the top, why? Rugby is played as a team, a sum of all parts. You cannot be successful without the workhorses, the more gifted guys still need time, space and field position to be effective.
Absolutely spot on. Old Hooker is right too.

Does it occur to anyone that just maybe the coaches know Morecambe than the fans?

Lam is there for his career. He has s point to prove so he can get an extended contract or a job in Aus.

Just watch him pick Sam Powell as soon as he's fit. Same for Sarge to some extent. Go figure as the Americans say. Lammy doesn't let Rads pick the team, I'm sure

Those who would drop these two - have you analysed the stats for what % we win when SP is playing or when he's not? Or measured the influence he has on plays or on his team mates?

No? Well Lam will have data on all these and more. If you don't understand something, or don't know as much about it as someone else, it's sometimes better to give them benefit of the doubt . . . or maybe next time you fly, you'll knock on the cabin door and say to the pilot "You don't wanna do it like that..."?
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Edited! Josie - Moderator

Deleted! - Medlocke
Last edited by medlocke on Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

Let’s not forget that Lockers and Clubb are playing for new contracts and Hamlin is out of contract at the end of the season.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

shaunedwardsfanclub wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:03 pm Let’s not forget that Lockers and Clubb are playing for new contracts and Hamlin is out of contract at the end of the season.
Lets not forget, Both of them are past it
Wes

Post by Wes »

Shouldn’t Hamlin be off our cap now?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

Hamlin is suspended and maybe still on the payroll, he will be on the SC as he is under contract.
If it all turns out to be a terrible mistake he will come back to the club and resume playing as there is a contract in place between him and the club.
If there is something in this then we will have to wait to find out from UKAD exactly what and the club will act appropriately.
He will only be off the SC if his contract is cancelled.
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

I think enough is enough with this drinking and drugs lark.
From now on it should just be zero tolerance of it, Unless you have got a good case why they have done it.
If it was “a silly mistake” they should be gone in my eyes. No one makes you take drugs or get behind the wheel after a drink, common sense should kick in.
I’d be out of work if I did it, so why shouldn’t they.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Barney841 wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:38 am I think enough is enough with this drinking and drugs lark.
From now on it should just be zero tolerance of it,
Unless you have got a good case why they have done it.
If it was “a silly mistake” they should be gone in my eyes. No one makes you take drugs or get behind the wheel after a drink, common sense should kick in.
I’d be out of work if I did it, so why shouldn’t they.
I’ve always said this. It should not be allowed during the season at all!

It’s okay to say they used to always do it years ago, they weren’t ‘finely tuned’ athletes then the same as they are now with everything being monitored what they eat, drink & at specific times too.

It’s like putting diesel into a petrol car, it may run for a mile or so but then it’s knackered!
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

morley pie eater wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:54 pm Does it occur to anyone that just maybe the coaches know Morecambe than the fans?

Lam is there for his career. He has s point to prove so he can get an extended contract or a job in Aus.

Just watch him pick Sam Powell as soon as he's fit. Same for Sarge to some extent. Go figure as the Americans say. Lammy doesn't let Rads pick the team, I'm sure

Those who would drop these two - have you analysed the stats for what % we win when SP is playing or when he's not? Or measured the influence he has on plays or on his team mates?
Lam has a very limited first 17 to pick from before he is forced to play young players. Him picking Powell and Sargenson is not a ringing endorsement. It's just means they are the best he has in the squad but I am sure he is not blind to their deficiencies.

It is not an issue of dropping them. He can't. He has little choice. It is a matter of getting rid and replacing them with better players ASAP.

It really is pretty obvious that these two are not as good as the majority of players running around in their positions in SL. Powell is probably the worst first choice hooker in the entire competition.
No? Well Lam will have data on all these and more. If you don't understand something, or don't know as much about it as someone else, it's sometimes better to give them benefit of the doubt . . . or maybe next time you fly, you'll knock on the cabin door and say to the pilot "You don't wanna do it like that..."?
Why do you think fans who have been watching the game for years, in some cases for decades, can't spot a poor player when they see one?