Some Wigan Warriors are playing for their futures, says Adrian Lam

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
old hooker

Re: Some Wigan Warriors are playing for their futures, says Adrian Lam

Post by old hooker »

Barney841 wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:38 am I think enough is enough with this drinking and drugs lark.
From now on it should just be zero tolerance of it, Unless you have got a good case why they have done it.
If it was “a silly mistake” they should be gone in my eyes. No one makes you take drugs or get behind the wheel after a drink, common sense should kick in.
I’d be out of work if I did it, so why shouldn’t they.

Should have been zero tolerance a long time ago, we should never have signed serial offender Hardaker but we have.Duty of care my arse, everyone has choices and if these people choose to break the rules thy should suffer the consequences.
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

DaveO wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:51 am
morley pie eater wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:54 pm Does it occur to anyone that just maybe the coaches know Morecambe than the fans?

Lam is there for his career. He has s point to prove so he can get an extended contract or a job in Aus.

Just watch him pick Sam Powell as soon as he's fit. Same for Sarge to some extent. Go figure as the Americans say. Lammy doesn't let Rads pick the team, I'm sure

Those who would drop these two - have you analysed the stats for what % we win when SP is playing or when he's not? Or measured the influence he has on plays or on his team mates?
Lam has a very limited first 17 to pick from before he is forced to play young players. Him picking Powell and Sargenson is not a ringing endorsement. It's just means they are the best he has in the squad but I am sure he is not blind to their deficiencies.

It is not an issue of dropping them. He can't. He has little choice. It is a matter of getting rid and replacing them with better players ASAP.

It really is pretty obvious that these two are not as good as the majority of players running around in their positions in SL. Powell is probably the worst first choice hooker in the entire competition.
No? Well Lam will have data on all these and more. If you don't understand something, or don't know as much about it as someone else, it's sometimes better to give them benefit of the doubt . . . or maybe next time you fly, you'll knock on the cabin door and say to the pilot "You don't wanna do it like that..."?
Why do you think fans who have been watching the game for years, in some cases for decades, can't spot a poor player when they see one?
That kind of misses the point, Dave. I could ask "Why do you think that fans know as much as the coach when they don't have the training/qualifications/ experience or the information and hands-on knowledge of the players that the coach has?"
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

morley pie eater wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:56 pm
morley pie eater wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:54 pm Does it occur to anyone that just maybe the coaches know Morecambe than the fans?

Lam is there for his career. He has s point to prove so he can get an extended contract or a job in Aus.

Just watch him pick Sam Powell as soon as he's fit. Same for Sarge to some extent. Go figure as the Americans say. Lammy doesn't let Rads pick the team, I'm sure

Those who would drop these two - have you analysed the stats for what % we win when SP is playing or when he's not? Or measured the influence he has on plays or on his team mates?
Lam has a very limited first 17 to pick from before he is forced to play young players. Him picking Powell and Sargenson is not a ringing endorsement. It's just means they are the best he has in the squad but I am sure he is not blind to their deficiencies.

It is not an issue of dropping them. He can't. He has little choice. It is a matter of getting rid and replacing them with better players ASAP.

It really is pretty obvious that these two are not as good as the majority of players running around in their positions in SL. Powell is probably the worst first choice hooker in the entire competition.
No? Well Lam will have data on all these and more. If you don't understand something, or don't know as much about it as someone else, it's sometimes better to give them benefit of the doubt . . . or maybe next time you fly, you'll knock on the cabin door and say to the pilot "You don't wanna do it like that..."?
Why do you think fans who have been watching the game for years, in some cases for decades, can't spot a poor player when they see one?
That kind of misses the point, Dave. I could ask "Why do you think that fans know as much as the coach when they don't have the training/qualifications/ experience or the information and hands-on knowledge of the players that the coach has?"
Isn't watching the game for so long also a negative for biased decision making?

You remember a golden era a time when defence was nowhere near as tight and due to the sport being bigger multiple star players in a squad.

I watched a wigan/bradford grand final the other week and the attacking rugby on display was amazing... but the defense on both sides would be classed as appauling in the current era of SL. In fact it was pretty much like out defence at Castleford in the 2nd half.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Why would you ask that? What has it got to do with fans being able to spot a lemon?

Why does anyone even trott the "do you know as much as the coach" question? It's just an appeal to authority which is a fallacy in itself particularly when the evidence does not back up your position that Lam is picking these players because he knows best when talent is obviously lacking.

Do you think Sarge is as good as Carmont was? Do you think Powell is as good as any Wigan hooker we have had in the last 30 years? Or do you not even think you should have an opinion because even if you think they are crap they must be good?
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

DaveO wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:51 pm

Why would you ask that? What has it got to do with fans being able to spot a lemon?

Why does anyone even trott the "do you know as much as the coach" question? It's just an appeal to authority which is a fallacy in itself particularly when the evidence does not back up your position that Lam is picking these players because he knows best when talent is obviously lacking.

Do you think Sarge is as good as Carmont was? Do you think Powell is as good as any Wigan hooker we have had in the last 30 years? Or do you not even think you should have an opinion because even if you think they are crap they must be good?
Dear Mr Angry,
Your hostile manner may cloud your understanding of my original point. You seem to want/need to have a focus for your onslaught:
Or do you not even think you should have an opinion because even if you think they are crap they must be good?
This in response to me saying maybe the coach knows more than we do. Suddenly I'm saying all fans are idiots and the coach is always right?

Keep taking the pills.
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
stevo38

Post by stevo38 »

im trying too think off a worse hooker we have had than powell .maybe its because its always been a position that has been filled by quality
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

morley pie eater wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:09 pm
DaveO wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:51 pm

Dear Mr Angry,
Your hostile manner may cloud your understanding of my original point. You seem to want/need to have a focus for your onslaught:
Or do you not even think you should have an opinion because even if you think they are crap they must be good?
This in response to me saying maybe the coach knows more than we do. Suddenly I'm saying all fans are idiots and the coach is always right?

Keep taking the pills.
I must apologise for not checking my post once I sent it because this bit "Or do you not even think you should have an opinion because even if you think they are crap they must be good?" meant to say

"Or do you not even think you should not have an opinion because even if you think they are crap they must be good?!
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

I do find it amusing that Powell walks straight back into the side and fans go and on and on how poor he is..he must be doing something right,though I’m at a loss as to what that is.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

fozzieskem wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:28 pm I do find it amusing that Powell walks straight back into the side and fans go and on and on how poor he is..he must be doing something right,though I’m at a loss as to what that is.
IL's very own yes man
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

fozzieskem wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:28 pm I do find it amusing that Powell walks straight back into the side and fans go and on and on how poor he is..he must be doing something right,though I’m at a loss as to what that is.
Powell’s attack in my opinion is the reason he has so many harsh critics and it’s for a number of reasons.

Good hookers have the knowledge of when to step out and start to draw the markers and defence and either hit an on running forward either behind the markers or between the A and B defenders (first and second in the line, either side of POTB). Additionally, he should be able to step out, draw the man and hit the ball back to a half.

Wigan’s strategy from hooker seems a very basic pick up and pass and attempt to shift the ball quickly. The problem is, this makes it very easy for the defence as they can simply pick their opposite man and slide accordingly.

A quality hooker with forwards charging into it will keep the defences right around the ruck, thus creating space outside.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."