Some Wigan Warriors are playing for their futures, says Adrian Lam

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Some Wigan Warriors are playing for their futures, says Adrian Lam

Post by josie andrews »

Adrian Lam believes the fact some of his squad are playing for their Wigan futures will provide them with ample motivation tomorrow night.

He looks set to field a patched-up side at Wakefield tomorrow night.

But he is confident his side can get the job done and says those who are out-of-contract – including Dan Sarginson, Joe Burgess and a clutch of young players – have extra incentive to shine.

Lam said: “There are a lot of injuries but there are a lot of opportunities. And a lot of these players are off-contract, so everyone has their own reason why they want to play well.

You’ve got to give confidence to the group here. The depth is certainly being tested. It’s always good when you can pick the same team two weeks in a row to build some cohesion, but we’ve got to power on.

“If you sit there and think, ‘How come we don’t have him, or him?’ you drive yourself insane. We’ve been going pretty good with the players we’ve got and at Castleford, for 40 minutes, we were sensational."

Only Sam Powell is set to return to the side beaten 38-28 by the Tigers while Dom Manfredi, Joe Greenwood and Jarrod Sammut drop out of the frame through injury - joining a long list on the sidelines.

Lam, meanwhile, says his coaching staff have reviewed the injuries but added: “A lot were done in contact, they’re not preventable. We’ve looked through it but there’s not much we can do about it.”

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/rugby- ... -1-9704226
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
medlocke

Re: Some Wigan Warriors are playing for their futures, says Adrian Lam

Post by medlocke »

I really do hope Sarginson is moved on at the end of the season, The fact he looks half decent is down to how mediocre the squad has been for a number of years, Powell, Club and Tautai also need to be shifted
First Try Tickle

Post by First Try Tickle »

There is no way that Sarginson and Powell will released at the end of this season, in fact I can only see them leaving when they retire as I can't see anyone coming in for them. They are both just what coaches like, good trainers, good at listening and doing what they are told. Both are real triers but just not good enough. Hankinson must be banging his head against the wall wondering how Sarginson gets on before him.

Its the players like Wells, Ganson, Forsyth, Field etc. who need releasing. These guy can't get a look in even though we are massively depleted.

I don't know much about Callum Field, but I know he's a prop and he's almost 22 and we are really short at the moment. So where is he....Swinton ??
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

First Try Tickle wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:26 am There is no way that Sarginson and Powell will released at the end of this season, in fact I can only see them leaving when they retire as I can't see anyone coming in for them. They are both just what coaches like, good trainers, good at listening and doing what they are told. Both are real triers but just not good enough. Hankinson must be banging his head against the wall wondering how Sarginson gets on before him.

Its the players like Wells, Ganson, Forsyth, Field etc. who need releasing. These guy can't get a look in even though we are massively depleted.

I don't know much about Callum Field, but I know he's a prop and he's almost 22 and we are really short at the moment. So where is he....Swinton ??
Exactly this

Sarginson and Powell are typical examples of a "Wigan" player now. Sometimes i wonder how much of our team make up is down to Rads mentality. Rads (through his own admission) was a trier someone who worked hard to make up for what he lacked in natural talent. I think though Rads underestimated the amount of natural talent he had. I often think people sign players they see themselves in and if Rads is mainly responsible for players (like we are told is the case) then he will pick the train hards, rather than people who are more naturally gifted.......just a theory
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

First Try Tickle wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:26 am There is no way that Sarginson and Powell will released at the end of this season, in fact I can only see them leaving when they retire as I can't see anyone coming in for them. They are both just what coaches like, good trainers, good at listening and doing what they are told. Both are real triers but just not good enough. Hankinson must be banging his head against the wall wondering how Sarginson gets on before him.

Why would you move Wells on?
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
old hooker

Post by old hooker »

I am not Sarginsons biggest fan but he is better than Hankinson by a street, the latter has done little to warrant a place in the 17 and is only at Wigan because he cost nothing.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

I think both Wane and Lam have said Sarge has "killed it" in training but surely there must come a point when a coach asks the obvious question that despite killing it in training why are such players not consistently delivering it on the pitch? In theory if they kill it in training why aren't they our best players on the pitch not some of the worst?

As to being here until they retire, isn't Sarginsons contract up at the end of the season?

A club with ambition would already be looking for a better replacement. I expect instead he will be offered a new deal because KR doesn't have a clue how to scout for better players. The easy, and cheap, option will be taken simply to re-sign him as it was when Gelling walked out (I don't think they even looked at anyone else once they knew Sarge was available).

Powell was offered and extended deal recently but once that is up if IL and KR are still running the club, the same will happen.
First Try Tickle

Post by First Try Tickle »

shaunedwardsfanclub wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:55 am
Ok it might be a bit harsh, but he was injured for all of 2018 and hasn't even been mention this season.

And I would think he is now behind Paisley and Smithies.
shaunedwardsfanclub

First Try Tickle wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:32 am
shaunedwardsfanclub wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:55 am
Ok it might be a bit harsh, but he was injured for all of 2018 and hasn't even been mention this season.

And I would think he is now behind Paisley and Smithies.
He played his first match at Swinton last weekend, he is on the comeback trail. He would have played last season but his first operation was not a success. Jack is very talented and the club needs to give him time to find his fitness and form. He might be behind Paisley and Smithies at the moment but that is not a reason to move him on. Dom Manfredi was injured for two years and the club showed faith in him, and rightly so, culminating in him scoring a double in the GF. Given his recent injury, would you now move him on?
shaunedwardsfanclub

If we released those players, what benefit would the club get?