Shaun Edwards to stay on as Wales defence coach

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
ancientnloyal

Re: Shaun Edwards to stay on as Wales defence coach

Post by ancientnloyal »

Uncle no and the other 3 in the Gang gave us the memories that define our club. I’d do it all again if I could.

Thanks Maurice!
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
Fan4Fifty

Post by Fan4Fifty »

IL described SE's 'appointment' as one of the greatest days in the club's history so he should have had the acumen to make this stick; neither IL nor SE have come out of this with any credit and for the club, we must be something of a laughing stock and not, I imagine, just within RL circles. Yes, SE would have been a real coup and I'm convinced he would have been a hugely successful coach, but he's made us look amateurish.

My concern with IL is whether he is losing, or has lost, motivation. He clearly tried to bring about financial change within Super League generally and for Wigan specifically. But he thought the Sky deal was poor; didn't like the competition structure and blamed it for falling attendances, wanted more control. Some change has happened but maybe not to the extent needed. He also had the distraction of the EFL position (was he Chairman?)

At club level, we had the Fans Forums in the early days of his tenure. The Business Club was an attempt to increase profile, brand-awareness and sponsorship. Taking games 'on the road' in the UK was supposedly a brand-building exercise; the Australia trip was supposed to raise profile and income. All of these seem to have been quietly binned. The latest is the Robin Park Arena project. Are they all taking focus and cash away from the real need - i.e. building a quality team?

All the while, despite some Grand Final success, the reputation of the club seems to be diminishing - the Carney comments, player indiscipline, SE fiasco to name few simply don't help at all. All of our main rivals (even now Castleford) seem to be signing NRL players of quality, whilst we only seem to sell our best assets; and the one announcement in the last several years (since the re-signing of Sam T probably) to create genuine excitement has now fallen over. I'm looking for silver linings - can anyone help?
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

ancientnloyal wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:11 pm
warriorwilliams wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:32 pm We've had Barrett and Kenny
Lockers and Hanley
Boston and Kevin Iro

No, he’s be subbed
It would be better with gregory instead of edwards
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

ancientnloyal wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:13 pm Uncle no and the other 3 in the Gang gave us the memories that define our club. I’d do it all again if I could.

Thanks Maurice!
Sorry A&L, but I have to disagree. "Uncle Mo" led us through a great era under unique circumstances: we bought almost all the best players who trained full time when every other club was part time.

But how did he leave the club? Having to sell Central Park, bring in Noble and Millward - like all gamblers, a few wins to brag about but ultimate failure.

I also have to disagree about "define our club". Maybe to some extent for people brought up in the 80s and 90s. But what defines our club are people like Jim Sullivan, Joe Egan, Brian McTigue, Billy B, Eric Ashton . . . even George Fairbairn, just as much as the Uncle Mo era.

Thanks for the memories, Maurice, but spare us the rose-tinted glasses.
. . . . . . ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
pedro

Post by pedro »

Firestarter wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:21 pm
ancientnloyal wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:11 pm
warriorwilliams wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:32 pm We've had Barrett and Kenny
Lockers and Hanley
Boston and Kevin Iro

No, he’s be subbed
It would be better with gregory instead of edwards
come on Edwards is the most decorated player in the game but Kenny is ok?......
w.thomas

Post by w.thomas »

Obvious the big easter egg head had no intention of coming, especially when he realised he would have about £7.50 to spend on players next season. Wouldn't hold you're breath for a top coach either, nailed on ex Wigan player with hardly any experience. May as well keep lam. I'm so disillusioned with everything at the minute. We need some good news from somewhere, maybe the signing of 2 top class props, a half, hooker maybe a centre, not too much to ask surely? :?
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

morley pie eater wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:35 pm
ancientnloyal wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:13 pm Uncle no and the other 3 in the Gang gave us the memories that define our club. I’d do it all again if I could.

Thanks Maurice!
Sorry A&L, but I have to disagree. "Uncle Mo" led us through a great era under unique circumstances: we bought almost all the best players who trained full time when every other club was part time.

But how did he leave the club? Having to sell Central Park, bring in Noble and Millward - like all gamblers, a few wins to brag about but ultimate failure.

I also have to disagree about "define our club". Maybe to some extent for people brought up in the 80s and 90s. But what defines our club are people like Jim Sullivan, Joe Egan, Brian McTigue, Billy B, Eric Ashton . . . even George Fairbairn, just as much as the Uncle Mo era.

[/quot

It might be true that we bought top players and trained full-time but there was nothing stopping the other clubs doing likewise, it is known as vision. Mo wasn't at Wigan when we the financial difficulties hit and it wasn't due to signing players either, the biggest problem we had was funding the new stand and ground repairs. I have to disagree with you Morley, the gang of four put Wigan on a pedestal, even people with no interest in sport had heard of Wigan when they had finished. The Aussies wanted to play us, RU clubs were desperate to get a piece of the action and we won every trophy on offer including the BBC team of the year!
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

shaunedwardsfanclub wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:20 pm op
morley pie eater wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:35 pm

Thanks Maurice!

[/quot

It might be true that we bought top players and trained full-time but there was nothing stopping the other clubs doing likewise, it is known as vision. Mo wasn't at Wigan when we the financial difficulties hit and it wasn't due to signing players either, the biggest problem we had was funding the new stand and ground repairs. I have to disagree with you Morley, the gang of four put Wigan on a pedestal, even people with no interest in sport had heard of Wigan when they had finished. The Aussies wanted to play us, RU clubs were desperate to get a piece of the action and we won every trophy on offer including the BBC team of the year!

I accept that a lot of good came through ML's era but was pointing out the downside.

In reply to highlighted points, who was in charge when:
1. The decision to build the new stand was made,
2. We paid £440,000 for Offiah?
. . . . . . ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
pedro

Post by pedro »

I dont know but Mo wasnt in charge when it came to selling CP
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

£440,000 for Offiah was worth every penny.

Hasn’t Lenagan done similar deals with shirt sponsorship like Houses for Homes and animalates, both companies of his or involved with... bringing in I guess £0 for the privilege like Dave and JJb did?

I accept Mo’s second coming was bad financially but the 80s and 90s, a kid sat on the wall at CP I saw the best there ever was... Paul Offiah Connolly Tuigamala Robinson the back line only the great Jenkins Todd Leytham and Miller came close to that and Boston Ashton perhaps
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame