The Club's Philophosy

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
No straw damn us

Re: The Club's Philophosy

Post by No straw damn us »

old hooker wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:32 pm IL is not prepared to spend big money that is obvious and has not been for a long time, yes he is trying to get his money back and we are not up to the cap.Comment on this post and criticise if you wish but It will not change my mind ever.

Page 15 of the accounts would suggest you are wrong.

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/comp ... ng-history
pedro

Post by pedro »

spends them on the wrong things then
No straw damn us

pedro wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:40 pm spends them on the wrong things then
Well that's a completely different argument isn't it?
To suggest that the club is not spending money is clearly wrong as shown above.
wall_of_voodoo

Post by wall_of_voodoo »

No straw damn us wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:13 pm
wall_of_voodoo wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:46 pm
nathan_rugby wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:37 pm One of the below is true however:

1 - Either we are up to the cap, meaning the squad are paid over the odds and it has been mismanaged.
2 - We are not up to the cap, and we either cannot afford to buy a player or have the belief that better players than we have are not available.
I posted about all the Wigan players helping the championship with over ten players (at least) on loan and was informed that because they were not in the top 25 that they didn't count on our cap (although we MUST be paying them something)

Correct or not it did get me thinking that there is another option.

Wigan might have a playing cost of £2m across the board/levels NOT at the cap as keeps being mentioned as realistically numbers appear to not add up. So we are well under the cap BUT IL is not prepared to spend more on wages whilst the club struggles to draw fans and sponsors back to the club

Is this a possibility?
No.
Read the rules. Section 3.1.1.
https://www.rugby-league.com/flipbooks/ ... html#p=272
Well I have looked and it does NOT say that Wigan can pay for their entire team of juniors/first team/women/backroom staff/plus coach drivers and plane to Barcelona and they would all count on a cap

What I said is perhaps IL has a limit of how much he will outlay and we as a club are at that, until more funds come into the club. We could be at only at two-thirds of the actual salary cap as it stands and it used as a convenient excuse as to why the club will not spend on recruits

Put it another way. If all the players on loan at Swinton/Dewsbury/Workington/Leigh etc etc count on our (Wigan's) cap, then essentially we have given all these clubs dispensation under their salary cap rules as they MUST count on either our cap (as you seem to say) or their current club's cap space to some degree.
I'm a better fan than you
Because I don't "Boo"!!!

Yes I bloody know transfer fees do not count on the salary cap for those illiterates that need it explaining to them because they assume everyone is as thick as they are :roll:
No straw damn us

What is says in the salary cap rules are that ANY player who plays in a salary capped match, who is over the age of 21 (on 31st August of the preceding season) and earns more than £20K per year will count on the salary cap.

The accounts show that Wigan pay over £4.5 million in wages to players and staff. Do you really believe they are not paying out to the cap limit. If not there must be some very well paid administrators.

68 players and 30 admin staff.
wall_of_voodoo

Post by wall_of_voodoo »

No straw damn us wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:01 pm What is says in the salary cap rules are that ANY player who plays in a salary capped match, who is over the age of 21 (on 31st August of the preceding season) and earns more than £20K per year will count on the salary cap.

The accounts show that Wigan pay over £4.5 million in wages to players and staff. Do you really believe they are not paying out to the cap limit. If not there must be some very well paid administrators.

Not saying all accounts are always legit and that Wigan could be playing fast and loose with how and where some of the monies may be going. Could even be seeing IL do a Ken Anderson tbh - how do you differentiate?

What is does prove is that it highlights exactly why this club is so badly mismanaged and the person who claimed the 25 player rule is incorrect!

We have a large number of players out on loan, some never good enough for SL never mind to play for Wigan, some been at the club for years with no sign of progression or year after year of injury issues. We as fans cry over a lack of quality props/centres etc yet pay for the likes of Forsyth to enjoy a career at Swinton (for example) and Swinton pay nothing but get free (as it stands) players

What a farce. Whoever is responsible for putting us in this financial mess should be sacked (if he didn't leave already)
I'm a better fan than you
Because I don't "Boo"!!!

Yes I bloody know transfer fees do not count on the salary cap for those illiterates that need it explaining to them because they assume everyone is as thick as they are :roll:
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

Wigan first teamers 2019: 36

Warrington: 34 (33 brown)
Saints: 30
Leeds: 33
Catalans: 27
Salford: 26
Wakefield: 33
Hull FC: 36
HKR: 31
London: 28
Huddersfield: 33
Castleford: 31 (30 Gale)
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Interesting to see Pearson at Hull saying they simply won't run a squad this big 36 next season, theyll take it down to 25/26-ish,i think there lies Wigans problem, far too much deadwood be them kids or flat average players that have clogged the system and isn't allowing a player or two of quality to come in.

I don't think Wigan will have a marquee player next season if Williams leaves, so someone has to grasp the nettle and let some of these players go, yes they may come back. to haunt us but enough this squad isn't good enough as it stands and needs freshening up.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

wall_of_voodoo wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:00 pm
No straw damn us wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:01 pm What is says in the salary cap rules are that ANY player who plays in a salary capped match, who is over the age of 21 (on 31st August of the preceding season) and earns more than £20K per year will count on the salary cap.

Not saying all accounts are always legit and that Wigan could be playing fast and loose with how and where some of the monies may be going. Could even be seeing IL do a Ken Anderson tbh - how do you differentiate?

What is does prove is that it highlights exactly why this club is so badly mismanaged and the person who claimed the 25 player rule is incorrect!

We have a large number of players out on loan, some never good enough for SL never mind to play for Wigan, some been at the club for years with no sign of progression or year after year of injury issues. We as fans cry over a lack of quality props/centres etc yet pay for the likes of Forsyth to enjoy a career at Swinton (for example) and Swinton pay nothing but get free (as it stands) players

What a farce. Whoever is responsible for putting us in this financial mess should be sacked (if he didn't leave already)
How do you know that Swinton don't pay?
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
old hooker

Post by old hooker »

Some people may believe everything they read, I am not one of them.