Wigan should sign Israel Folau

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Re: Wigan should sign Israel Folau

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

Mike wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:47 pm I'd prefer Greg inglis.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
He's shot!
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

I don’t think we should, as inclusivity and acceptance of differences is very important. Now, if he had mentioned the seventh circle of Hades for Saints fans and left it at that, I would give him both marquee spots.
ian.birchall

Post by ian.birchall »

Exiled Wiganer wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:56 pm I don’t think we should, as inclusivity and acceptance of differences is very important. Now, if he had mentioned the seventh circle of Hades for Saints fans and left it at that, I would give him both marquee spots.
No only one, the other could go to Billy Vinipola.
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

ian.birchall wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:06 pm
Exiled Wiganer wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:56 pm I don’t think we should, as inclusivity and acceptance of differences is very important. Now, if he had mentioned the seventh circle of Hades for Saints fans and left it at that, I would give him both marquee spots.
No only one, the other could go to Billy Vinipola.
Good to see you bring some balance to the discussion, Ian.
. . . . . . ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Nezza Faz

Post by Nezza Faz »

No, no, no - he's about 30 odd and hasn't played RL for probably as long as Edwards hasn't coached it !
The NRL won't touch him for any money, especially after the disastrous off season they had down there, as it would be really poor publicity after all their off field problems.
morley pie eater

Nezza Faz wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:59 pm No, no, no - he's about 30 odd and hasn't played RL for probably as long as Edwards hasn't coached it !
The NRL won't touch him for any money, especially after the disastrous off season they had down there, as it would be really poor publicity after all their off field problems.
He turned 30 about a fortnight ago. No comparison with SE who has never coached league - Folau is a world class player in league and union. If you need an example, try SBW. And if the NRL won't touch, it makes him affordable.

Maybe you'd prefer Warrington to sign him?
. . . . . . ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Nezza Faz

Post by Nezza Faz »

morley pie eater wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:39 am
Nezza Faz wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:59 pm No, no, no - he's about 30 odd and hasn't played RL for probably as long as Edwards hasn't coached it !
He turned 30 about a fortnight ago. No comparison with SE who has never coached league - Folau is a world class player in league and union. If you need an example, try SBW. And if the NRL won't touch, it makes him affordable.

They're welcome to, mpe. It's TEN years since he was on a RL field, that's a hell of a long absence for someone of 30 years to make a quality transition to what would be a new sport, and a new country, at this stage.
Just to add to the mix, he's been out playing AFL in the interim, apart from 8 years playing union, Be a big, unnecessary risk to our SC ?
What we need are current, established International/SOO players.
The booze hound

Post by The booze hound »

Nezza Faz wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:51 pm
morley pie eater wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:39 am

They're welcome to, mpe. It's TEN years since he was on a RL field, that's a hell of a long absence for someone of 30 years to make a quality transition to what would be a new sport, and a new country, at this stage.
Just to add to the mix, he's been out playing AFL in the interim, apart from 8 years playing union, Be a big, unnecessary risk to our SC ?
What we need are current, established International/SOO players.
If a Superleague team does sign him I don't think he'd count on the salary cap, being signed from Union.
morley pie eater

The way I see it is this:

There's no doubt that he's a great player, with 4 or 5 good years left in him. He'd help draw the crowds.

In normal circumstances he'd be unaffordable and unwilling to come to SL. But we complain about union and NRL taking our players - here's a chance to strike back.

The only possibility he has in union is if a French team signs him. It's been said the NRL won't touch him. Why shouldn't we?

Hardaker has been done for homophobic abuse, drugs and drink driving, but he's still playing for us. This lad, naively and unwisely, has publicly stated his sincerely held beliefs. These are not extremist but orthodox Christian, Jewish and Muslim beliefs that western countries have largely rejected in the past 40 years or so.

Note that he has issued no threats other than (for most people, the imaginary one) of God's judgement. And his claim, further expounded by Vunipola, is that this applies to all sinners, himself included, who refuse to repent and believe in Jesus. [There used to be a bloke outside cp with a sandwich board telling us we were all going to hell for watching rugby on a Sunday. I don't remember him being arrested.]

If Hardaker can be shown a degree of understanding and given a 2nd, 3rd and 4th chance, then why not Folau? The club could present this in a similar way to Hardaker's original signing and subsequent disciplinary outcome - we're giving him another chance. Get someone like Jason Robinson, a devout Christian who understands both the pressures and responsibilities, to mentor him.

We could possibly get him for less than George's marquee salary.

Those who have been looking back to the era of Hanley, E*****s, Offiah - this would be a chance to see another all-time great play for Wigan.
. . . . . . ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐