Adrian Lam the early favourite to be Wigan Warriors coach in 2020

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Shaun Wane Legend

Re: Adrian Lam the early favourite to be Wigan Warriors coach in 2020

Post by Shaun Wane Legend »

Wane & Lockers. The current results show just how good Shaun Wane is. Too many haters wished for something different and look what that has got us.
I’m certain we won’t go for Wane but it’s Wigan’s loss. There’s no doubt we wouldn’t be where we are now if Shaun had stayed.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Shaun Wane Legend wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:45 pm Wane & Lockers. The current results show just how good Shaun Wane is. Too many haters wished for something different and look what that has got us.
I’m certain we won’t go for Wane but it’s Wigan’s loss. There’s no doubt we wouldn’t be where we are now if Shaun had stayed.
We werent all dominating under wane and weve lost two massive players for us and on such things teams can suffer

Bateman is a colossal loss for us he was worth 6-12 points per game in defence

People will argue tomkins isnt as big a loss being offset by hardaker, but look at tomkins role in the team as an extra (and often key) pivot that has been a big loss too. Hardaker is as good if not better player than tomkins but as was said when he signed he doesn't offer what tomkins did and what tomkins offered is what we need.

id say we probably have the weakest 6-7-9 combo in the league so it was vital for us that the 1 can play as an extra half back which isnt what you get from hardaker.

Shaun Wane only does marginally better with this team for my money
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

Genuine question, why would Oloughlin be suited to a head coach role straight away without experience?

I’d like to see him as Assistant or youth coaching first even if it’s away from Wigan, to me it would be a huge gamble.

Cunningham for example
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

ancientnloyal wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:05 am Genuine question, why would Oloughlin be suited to a head coach role straight away without experience?

I’d like to see him as Assistant or youth coaching first even if it’s away from Wigan, to me it would be a huge gamble.

Cunningham for example
Jobs for the boys kills sports teams
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:11 am
Shaun Wane Legend wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:45 pm Wane & Lockers. The current results show just how good Shaun Wane is. Too many haters wished for something different and look what that has got us.
We werent all dominating under wane and weve lost two massive players for us and on such things teams can suffer

Bateman is a colossal loss for us he was worth 6-12 points per game in defence

People will argue tomkins isnt as big a loss being offset by hardaker, but look at tomkins role in the team as an extra (and often key) pivot that has been a big loss too. Hardaker is as good if not better player than tomkins but as was said when he signed he doesn't offer what tomkins did and what tomkins offered is what we need.

id say we probably have the weakest 6-7-9 combo in the league so it was vital for us that the 1 can play as an extra half back which isnt what you get from hardaker.

Shaun Wane only does marginally better with this team for my money
I agree.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:14 am
ancientnloyal wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:05 am Genuine question, why would Oloughlin be suited to a head coach role straight away without experience?

Cunningham for example
Jobs for the boys kills sports teams
Powell is living proof of this
bertina

Post by bertina »

DaveO wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:33 pm
Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:23 pm
DaveO wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:15 pm I can't say I am impressed by any of the coaches on short odds.

We will probably end up with Lam in the same way we ended up with Sarge, because he's available and its the easy option.
Out of all of them Chester would be the only one id consider - i think he did a good job at KR and i think hes done a better job at Wakey. That said my preference would be an NRL coup
Not sure Chester would want to leave Wakey. The problem IL has got is persuading anyone who isn't desperate for a job to come here given it is fairly obvious there are issues with the squad. He's got to persuade them they can address these issues and have the money and cap space to do it.

When IL first took over we signed players like Mathers and Pryce. At the time most people accepted this because IL was saying the cap had been mismanaged and there was little room to maneuver. We seem to be right back to square one on that score and I don't see that as an attractive proposition for a new coach.
For heaven's sake Dave, give it a rest. We all agree we need some new signings. But to start saying we have a pack that gets walked all over is a bit unfair considering the forwards we have had missing this past few games.
Flower, Farrell, lockers, Greenwood, to name a few.
Last week, no Sammut or Manfredi in the backs.
Injuries can't be blamed on IL/KR.
I wonder how dominant Saints would be without Walmsley, Thompson, Roby, Makinson, Lomax. ??
I will be the first to criticise the Wigan managemet if there isn't improved recruitment for next season.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

bertina wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:06 pm
DaveO wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:33 pm
Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:23 pm

Out of all of them Chester would be the only one id consider - i think he did a good job at KR and i think hes done a better job at Wakey. That said my preference would be an NRL coup
Not sure Chester would want to leave Wakey. The problem IL has got is persuading anyone who isn't desperate for a job to come here given it is fairly obvious there are issues with the squad. He's got to persuade them they can address these issues and have the money and cap space to do it.

When IL first took over we signed players like Mathers and Pryce. At the time most people accepted this because IL was saying the cap had been mismanaged and there was little room to maneuver. We seem to be right back to square one on that score and I don't see that as an attractive proposition for a new coach.
For heaven's sake Dave, give it a rest. We all agree we need some new signings. But to start saying we have a pack that gets walked all over is a bit unfair considering the forwards we have had missing this past few games.
Flower, Farrell, lockers, Greenwood, to name a few.
Last week, no Sammut or Manfredi in the backs.
Injuries can't be blamed on IL/KR.
I wonder how dominant Saints would be without Walmsley, Thompson, Roby, Makinson, Lomax. ??
I will be the first to criticise the Wigan managemet if there isn't improved recruitment for next season.
Injuries cannot be blamed on IL and KR but why has the following occured..

No backup Loose Forward to compensate for Lockers missing half a season each year?

Not enough 2nd rowers in the squad on the basis of letting Bateman and Tomkins go whilst considering Farrells poor injury record.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."