Adrian Lam the early favourite to be Wigan Warriors coach in 2020

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Adrian Lam the early favourite to be Wigan Warriors coach in 2020

Post by josie andrews »

Adrian Lam is the early favourite to be Wigan coach next season following Shaun Edwards’ U-turn.

The Warriors confirmed yesterday Edwards would not be taking up the role as agreed because he felt “under-prepared” to succeed Lam, who is here on a one-year deal.

Club owner Ian Lenagan has vowed to give fans the “clarity they deserve” once they have made a decision on the head coaching role.

Lam is 2/1 favourite with Super League’s title-sponsors Betfred to extend his stay and take the helm in 2020.

But former coach Shaun Wane (3/1), Wakefield boss Chris Chester (5/1) and former assistant Paul Deacon – now at Sale Sharks (6/1) – are all on the lean side.

Denis Betts (8/1) and ex-Cronulla coach Shane Flanagan (8/1) are also among the front-runners with the bookmakers.

Current skipper Sean O’Loughlin is 20/1.

Lenagan said Edwards informed him on Sunday he would not be joining.

Now our next steps are to confirm the coaching structure for 2020 and beyond and draw a line under the last few months and give our loyal fans the clarity they deserve,” said Lenagan.

I’d like to thank our supporters for their patience and understanding in what has proven to be a very difficult situation to navigate and now we can concentrate on building more strong foundations to drive this wonderful club forward. We will announce our plans in due course.”

Other selected odds with Betfred are: Salford coach Ian Watson (12/1), ex-Warrington boss Tony Smith (12/1), ex-NRL coaches Anthony Griffin (12/1), Neil Henry (16/1) and Mick Potter (20/1), captain Sean O’Loughlin (20/1) and Souths assistant Jason Demetriou (20/1).

Cas’ Daryl Powell and Wigan legend Trent Barrett are both (25/1) while there are generous odds being offered on Melbourne’s Craig Bellamy, Wests’ ex-Wigan boss Michael Maguire and Souths coach Wayne Bennett, all 50/1.

Next permanent Wigan head coach

Adrian Lam 2/1 Shaun Wane 3/1 Chris Chester 5/1 Denis Betts 6/1 Paul Deacon 6/1 Shane Flanagan 8/1 Anthony Griffin 12/1 Tony Smith 12/1 Ian Watson 12/1 Trent Barrett 12/1 Neil Henry 16/1 Sean O’Loughlin 20/1 Jason Demetriou 20/1 Mick Potter 20/1 Daryl Powell 25/1 Steve McNamara 33/1 Steven Kearney 33/1 Michael Maguire 50/1 Wayne Bennett 50/1 Craig Bellamy 50/1

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/rugby- ... -1-9713901
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
shaunedwardsfanclub

Re: Adrian Lam the early favourite to be Wigan Warriors coach in 2020

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

it would have to be an NRL coach for me. Flanagan would be my choice given he is available.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

Well given his outstanding start to his Wigan RL coaching career, it is to be expected.

:roll:
Mickw

Post by Mickw »

Lams fine by me .
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Kearney or Demetriou would be nice if it's not going to be Lam
southportcdm

Post by southportcdm »

If they're seriously considering Lammy why not wait a month or so? His record so far is very poor whatever the circumstances. How can a record of 3 from 10 (11 if you count the WCC) warrant the top job? His one advantage at the moment is that he now knows the squad and (if allowed) where it needs improving. Flannagan or Demetriou for me but there's no mad rush, let's use the time we have.
jobo

Post by jobo »

Wintergreen wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:57 am Well given his outstanding start to his Wigan RL coaching career, it is to be expected.

:roll:
:lol: :lol:

Seems that way doesn't it.
old hooker

Post by old hooker »

Not in the running but my choice would be Tim Sheens
Wes

Post by Wes »

I’d be happy to let Lam stay on if he wants too as isn’t is family in Oz? If so would they stay there if he was here next year?

Lam if he wants it if not Justin Morgan’s good shout.

Whoever gets the job though needs to be given free reign to sign whoever and the cheque book needs to dust off its cob webs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
First Try Tickle

Post by First Try Tickle »

It's worrying that the top 5 are all ex Wigan players.

I would like a change and get Neil Henry.