Adrian Lam the early favourite to be Wigan Warriors coach in 2020

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
DaveO

Re: Adrian Lam the early favourite to be Wigan Warriors coach in 2020

Post by DaveO »

I can't say I am impressed by any of the coaches on short odds.

We will probably end up with Lam in the same way we ended up with Sarge, because he's available and its the easy option.
Woody1989

Post by Woody1989 »

old hooker wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:55 pm Not in the running but my choice would be Tim Sheens
I heard he was available at the end of the season so I'm surprised he's not in the running. I could be wrong though.
Woody1989

Post by Woody1989 »

Whoever it is they need to get it sorted quickly so that the team can turn their attention back to winning games and not worrying about what's going on off the field. Plus they need to make a start on recruitment sooner rather than later.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

DaveO wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:15 pm I can't say I am impressed by any of the coaches on short odds.

We will probably end up with Lam in the same way we ended up with Sarge, because he's available and its the easy option.
Out of all of them Chester would be the only one id consider - i think he did a good job at KR and i think hes done a better job at Wakey. That said my preference would be an NRL coup
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:23 pm
DaveO wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:15 pm I can't say I am impressed by any of the coaches on short odds.

Out of all of them Chester would be the only one id consider - i think he did a good job at KR and i think hes done a better job at Wakey. That said my preference would be an NRL coup
Not sure Chester would want to leave Wakey. The problem IL has got is persuading anyone who isn't desperate for a job to come here given it is fairly obvious there are issues with the squad. He's got to persuade them they can address these issues and have the money and cap space to do it.

When IL first took over we signed players like Mathers and Pryce. At the time most people accepted this because IL was saying the cap had been mismanaged and there was little room to maneuver. We seem to be right back to square one on that score and I don't see that as an attractive proposition for a new coach.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

DaveO wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:33 pm

Not sure Chester would want to leave Wakey. The problem IL has got is persuading anyone who isn't desperate for a job to come here given it is fairly obvious there are issues with the squad. He's got to persuade them they can address these issues and have the money and cap space to do it.

When IL first took over we signed players like Mathers and Pryce. At the time most people accepted this because IL was saying the cap had been mismanaged and there was little room to maneuver. We seem to be right back to square one on that score and I don't see that as an attractive proposition for a new coach.
Chester got the wakefield job because Smith quit due to not having the required resource promised at Wakefield....

I 100% dont believe its a bad as people say at wigan as other than accounts/IL/KR its all guess work.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Caboosegg wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:33 pm
DaveO wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:33 pm

Chester got the wakefield job because Smith quit due to not having the required resource promised at Wakefield....

I 100% dont believe its a bad as people say at wigan as other than accounts/IL/KR its all guess work.
What is all guess work? We have several players who are past it, a pack that gets walked all over, the accounts show we spend to the cap for this squad and when we get rid of quality players we don't replace them with quality.

Work needs to be done at Wigan and it requires the new coach being able to do it by making new signings. Why anyone currently employed at another club would take this job without the ability to do this I have bo idea.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

DaveO have you seen figures?

We have IL and KR telling us we are spending the cap... what would be the point of lying about it. As you have said we are losing alot of player potentially this year. I would like to believe that tjat money will be invested into the squad.

If it isnt then i would have issue but as we dont know the account i have no reason to believe it isnt being.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Caboosegg wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:52 pm DaveO have you seen figures?

We have IL and KR telling us we are spending the cap... what would be the point of lying about it. As you have said we are losing alot of player potentially this year. I would like to believe that tjat money will be invested into the squad.

If it isnt then i would have issue but as we dont know the account i have no reason to believe it isnt being.
I know we are spending to the cap. That's the problem. We are doing that with this squad. :roll: Who is suggesting they are lying about it?

There is every likelihood we will see more high earners leave and some players retire at the end of the season. We will have two marquee slots available assuming Williams is off. So that ought to see some cap space open up and the new coach will need to be convinced he can utilise it as he sees fit and that IL is prepared to invest in a couple of marquee players.

Not that he turns up to find Lockers, TL and Clubb are going around again and IL/KR have used the cap space on wages or pay rises for another half dozen products of the club who will never feature in the first team.
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

DaveO wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:21 pm
Caboosegg wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:52 pm DaveO have you seen figures?

I know we are spending to the cap. That's the problem. We are doing that with this squad. :roll: Who is suggesting they are lying about it?

There is every likelihood we will see more high earners leave and some players retire at the end of the season. We will have two marquee slots available assuming Williams is off. So that ought to see some cap space open up and the new coach will need to be convinced he can utilise it as he sees fit and that IL is prepared to invest in a couple of marquee players.

Not that he turns up to find Lockers, TL and Clubb are going around again and IL/KR have used the cap space on wages or pay rises for another half dozen products of the club who will never feature in the first team.
We need to release a few players as it’s been said on here before there’s no reserve team so we are just overloading so players are either on dual registration or sat on the side lines. We can get abit more quality in then, less players but still have the cover.
Also Williams has definitely signed for Canberra, commentators mentioned it when they were playing the other week.