Wigan Warriors chairman Ian Lenagan on Shaun Edwards saga, and plans for future appointment

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Wigan Warriors chairman Ian Lenagan on Shaun Edwards saga, and plans for future appointment

Post by josie andrews »

Wigan Warriors chairman Ian Lenagan says he won’t change his approach to choosing head coaches after the ‘blip’ of Shaun Edwards’ U-turn.

Edwards confirmed earlier this week he would not be taking the hot seat at Wigan next season as had previously been agreed.

But Lenagan insists the outcome would have been no different had the handshake agreement in place been a written contract.

“The prime feeling is disappointment because he is one of the leading coaches in the world and we thought we had him coming next year,” the Warriors’ owner told BBC Radio Manchester’s Rugby League Extra tonight.

“There were issues about a non-signed contract etc raised, but I've done deals on handshakes in the past and this time circumstances have changed.

“This is a blip.

“I’m very sorry to the fans we didn't deliver, but even if he had signed and his circumstances had changed we'd have let him away from the contract.

“On the issue of choosing good coaches, we at Wigan, and I, have done it for 12 years and we've done rather well. We’re not changing anything for a hiccup for genuine reasons.”

While admitting Edwards’ decision was disappointing, Lenagan insists the club has moved on from the saga, and revealed he would be happy to have interim coach Adrian Lam in charge next season.

“Things have changed and we move on,” he said.

“I think Adrian has added a lot already in terms of style and his own character.

“Shaun Wane was difficult to take over from in terms of achievements and the only thing Adrian hasn't done is get us into top five at this stage but we have had difficulties in injuries and some other things. He has shown he has capabilities and he is a serious contender to continue the job.”

In the wake of Edwards’ decision to stay in rugby union, following a drawn-out period of speculation sparked by his comments made after Wales’ Six Nations success of not having signed a contract, Lenagan also moved to praise the former club captain’s honesty.

“He has also quite rightly made the point that rugby league is a different game and his skill set is coaching in rugby union which is not quite the same attacking game rugby league is,” Lenagan explained.

In a press conference last August, Edwards explained he didn’t have an issue with the time he had spent out of rugby league, stating: “In the end, the game is still the same; there’s big men in the middle, you need two tricky halfbacks and on top of that, you need a tricky hooker who will understand the game.

“The game was like that when my heroes played for Wigan in the 1950s, and it will look like that in another 40 years too, I think.”

But in this week’s statement released by Wigan, he said: “This is about Wigan Warriors getting the best man for the job which, at the moment, I feel is not me.

"I feel Wigan need a more experienced rugby league head coach than myself, to give the club and the people of Wigan the best team possible."

And Lenagan moved to praise the honesty of Edwards.

“Taking view he isn't quite good enough is a typical Shaun Edwards move - it's got honesty written all over it. It's honest, open and sensible,” he said.

“The honesty is such from the man you have to accept it.”

Warriors can now turn their attention to tomorrow’s derby with St Helens.

More than 21,000 tickets have already been sold with the South Stand sold out and limited availability in the Springfield and Boston Stands.

“I think we’ll get pretty close to a sellout,” said Lenagan.

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/wigan- ... -1-9722317
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Re: Wigan Warriors chairman Ian Lenagan on Shaun Edwards saga, and plans for future appointment

Post by josie andrews »

I think you will find his partner will have had a big impact on his decision not to move to Wigan!
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
ancientnloyal

Re: Wigan Warriors chairman Ian Lenagan on Shaun Edwards saga, and plans for future appointment

Post by ancientnloyal »

You’re up early Josie... excited for something today perhaps?
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

josie andrews wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:17 am I think you will find his partner will have had a big impact on his decision not to move to Wigan!
In a press conference last August, Edwards explained he didn’t have an issue with the time he had spent out of rugby league, stating: “In the end, the game is still the same; there’s big men in the middle, you need two tricky halfbacks and on top of that, you need a tricky hooker who will understand the game.
I think that this but also had an impact on him not coming 😂
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
Mickw

Post by Mickw »

If he'd signed on the dotted line in August then I'm sure he would have honored it,because as lenegan says that's the man he is.
I smell a rat.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

SE played it out in the media, if you have any respect for the club he wouldnt have done that.

But people will still blame IL fully and believe they know better than a multi millionaire businessman.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

josie andrews wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:53 am
ancientnloyal wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:41 am You’re up early Josie... excited for something today perhaps?
😂😂 Been awake since 1.38am! Had washing machine stomach, on’t third spin all night!

Always same for “The Good Friday Derby” 😂😂

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=ht ... h%2Fx%2Fim
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Caboosegg wrote:SE played it out in the media, if you have any respect for the club he wouldnt have done that.

But people will still blame IL fully and believe they know better than a multi millionaire businessman.
Are you related to him or something? That is would explain your unflinching support for our buffoon of a chairman.

I don’t give a monkey’s if he’s a multi millionaire businessman. He’s doing a grand job of showing that just because he managed to make money running a software business that doesn’t mean you are up to running a rugby league club. He’s clearly not.

The Edwards saga is a joke and him saying he’s made handshake decision before is just an excuse for incompetence.

It’s not just the Edwards issue though. He has come up with hair brained schemes to take games to London and Oz that have only succeeded in annoying fans and have not led to any financial gain. He’s made a balls up over the salary cap and there has been a string of off field incidents concerning players and to cap it all he’s let top players go not to the NRL but to Cats and him and KR look totally clueless about signing decent players.

This season will be my last as a season ticket holder until he has gone. I have had enough of his patronising ways and cost cutting.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

While I agree with a lot of what Daveo says,Lenegan does treat us fans as mugs,in regards to the Edwards farce Edwards himself played the club for mugs,he’s certainly can’t escape criticism for such gobshitery
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

fozzieskem wrote:While I agree with a lot of what Daveo says,Lenegan does treat us fans as mugs,in regards to the Edwards farce Edwards himself played the club for mugs,he’s certainly can’t escape criticism for such gobshitery
I don’t disagree. He could have still come but decided not to. However I agree with a previous post that said had signed he would have. The lack of a contract gave him a way out and for whatever reason he convinced himself he no longer wanted the job. Having done so there was no need to play it out in the media though perhaps he felt he needed to publicise his renewed availability but regardless of that, it does not look good and he’s burned a lot or bridges.

As to IL saying he’d have let him leave even with a signed contract, what an idiot. He’s just made it public anyone can agree to coach Wigan and keep looking for a better job! At the very least a contract would have allowed him to seek compensation so the idea he is trying to sell that it’s neither here nor there a contract was signed or not is ridiculous. It’s just more patronising excuse making.

IL needs to make at least some semblance of effort to enforce contracts or he is asking the world and his dog to take him for a ride.