Forward Pack

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Forward Pack

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

They should be taken to court under the Trade Descriptions Act.

We have young lads who are putting more into it than the seasoned pros. We were far better in the first half with Smithies and Partington.

Tommy looked shot, Benny looked injured, Bullock has faded, Isa is poor, T is the same and Lockers looks past his sell buy date. I can't remember Lockers driving the ball in today.

We need major surgery, the powers that be have got to be ruthless.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
Mickw

Re: Forward Pack

Post by Mickw »

Spot on
moto748

Post by moto748 »

TT did his 'one good run per game' thing again, and as you say, most of the rest look no better.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

moto748 wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:02 am TT did his 'one good run per game' thing again, and as you say, most of the rest look no better.
That is weird as you say he did that run after that nothing,sums his Wigan career up I suppose
pedro

Post by pedro »

Softest pack in the league, our 2006 pack would do these men
EagleEyePie

Post by EagleEyePie »

I feel sorry for Lam. He obviously wants to change the style of play a little and presumably that would include playing a more conventional style where the props have a significant role in carrying the ball up the field. Unfortunately he's inherited a side where our props are fairly ineffective at making the hard yards in that manner. We're a champion side without a champion front row. Wane's style made much greater use of the back row, but we've let the best back row in the competition leave, while our other back row forwards have been injured.

So not only has Lam not really been able to get more out of our front row (because they aren't particularly good), but he also hasn't been able to get the players to revert to Shaun Wane's style because we've had a makeshift back row.

That's one reason why I can't be too critical of Lam at this moment in time. The front row we've had to call upon most often (Bullock, Navarrete, Tautai, Partington) isn't Super League quality, experienced players like Clubb and Isa aren't good enough and key players like Lockers, Flower and Faz have been frequently injured.

The club needs to make changes in the pack, but it seems none will be made this year, so it's likely to be an uphill struggle all the way.
East Stand Faithful

Post by East Stand Faithful »

EagleEyePie wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:12 pm I feel sorry for Lam. He obviously wants to change the style of play a little and presumably that would include playing a more conventional style where the props have a significant role in carrying the ball up the field. Unfortunately he's inherited a side where our props are fairly ineffective at making the hard yards in that manner. We're a champion side without a champion front row. Wane's style made much greater use of the back row, but we've let the best back row in the competition leave, while our other back row forwards have been injured.

So not only has Lam not really been able to get more out of our front row (because they aren't particularly good), but he also hasn't been able to get the players to revert to Shaun Wane's style because we've had a makeshift back row.

That's one reason why I can't be too critical of Lam at this moment in time. The front row we've had to call upon most often (Bullock, Navarrete, Tautai, Partington) isn't Super League quality, experienced players like Clubb and Isa aren't good enough and key players like Lockers, Flower and Faz have been frequently injured.

The club needs to make changes in the pack, but it seems none will be made this year, so it's likely to be an uphill struggle all the way.
Good post I think our pack is awful. Needs a complete revamp. Lam is not to blame for this mess.
Whatever happened to Billy McGinty's pineapple?
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Many on here, myself included, thought that Wane's style of play was detrimental to our forwards. I.e. No running in pairs, leg drives, offloads, hitting the gaps/angles...

Was he adapting his style to the players he had or has Wane and now Lam missed a trick
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

nathan_rugby wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:36 pm Many on here, myself included, thought that Wane's style of play was detrimental to our forwards. I.e. No running in pairs, leg drives, offloads, hitting the gaps/angles...

Was he adapting his style to the players he had or has Wane and now Lam missed a trick
its a good point...... i wudda loved lam to come earlier( when wane was here) and just concentrate on our attack..... maybe would have made a difference....... we will probably never know
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Firestarter wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:39 pm
nathan_rugby wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:36 pm Many on here, myself included, thought that Wane's style of play was detrimental to our forwards. I.e. No running in pairs, leg drives, offloads, hitting the gaps/angles...

its a good point...... i wudda loved lam to come earlier( when wane was here) and just concentrate on our attack..... maybe would have made a difference....... we will probably never know
What evidence do we have that Lam is a good attacking coach?

Biggest losses we had was Deacon and Harris. I distinctly remember noticeable changes to our attack.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."