Gilly

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
pearsy

Re: Gilly

Post by pearsy »

I was hoping we would have brought Charnley back when he came back from the dark side and turned him to a centre he would have know how to create space for the winger unlike DS.I know before some people comment on we resigne to many ex players but I think it would have been worth it in this case
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

pearsy wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:02 am I was hoping we would have brought Charnley back when he came back from the dark side and turned him to a centre he would have know how to create space for the winger unlike DS.I know before some people comment on we resigne to many ex players but I think it would have been worth it in this case
Charnley hasn't come back worse though.
Hes lost pace but he had already lost that when he bulked up in his last couple of seasons. But he new his way to the line and added size to our backs.

Manfredi coming through was probably the worst thing that could happen to his wigan career at the time but would have loved our wingers to be Manfredi and Charnley as we know Burgess wants to go back to the NRL and marsha and davis are slightly to small for me.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

I really like Marshall in virtually every way as a RL winger but I still have nightmares remembering that Wembley final when Hull kicked everything high at him and it cost us tries. I hoped Wane would do some coaching to improve him under pressure with the high ball but it never happened and patently the current regime don't bother with defence near the line so be prepared for Salford (and everyone else) to bombard him. The hope is that Hankinson, who seems to have a brain, will shepherd him or take the high balls himself. Sarginson missing might prove to be a blessing.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

Southern Softy wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:07 pm I really like Marshall in virtually every way as a RL winger but I still have nightmares remembering that Wembley final when Hull kicked everything high at him and it cost us tries. I hoped Wane would do some coaching to improve him under pressure with the high ball but it never happened and patently the current regime don't bother with defence near the line so be prepared for Salford (and everyone else) to bombard him. The hope is that Hankinson, who seems to have a brain, will shepherd him or take the high balls himself. Sarginson missing might prove to be a blessing.
Really? I havent seen anything YET fron Hankinson, i thought he looked bored and unintrested on friday.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

Caboosegg wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:36 pm
Southern Softy wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:07 pm I really like Marshall in virtually every way as a RL winger but I still have nightmares remembering that Wembley final when Hull kicked everything high at him and it cost us tries. I hoped Wane would do some coaching to improve him under pressure with the high ball but it never happened and patently the current regime don't bother with defence near the line so be prepared for Salford (and everyone else) to bombard him. The hope is that Hankinson, who seems to have a brain, will shepherd him or take the high balls himself. Sarginson missing might prove to be a blessing.
Really? I havent seen anything YET fron Hankinson, i thought he looked bored and unintrested on friday.
That's a weird thing to say. I'm not sure I've ever seen a pro RL player look bored and uninterested. They can play badly or make bad decisions or simply not be very good but…………………………..

Hankinson doesn't have great pace, particularly when chasing back but positional sense can sort that out and he seems to have that. I must admit I thought he would make a decent second-rower and maybe that's where his long-term future lies.
First Try Tickle

Post by First Try Tickle »

I'd look bored if I was playing outside Isa, the only pass coming his way went in the stand.

Before that he put Lomax on his bum with his step. He should have stayed at centre with Isa on the wing.
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

Fair point.
wall_of_voodoo

Post by wall_of_voodoo »

First Try Tickle wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:15 pm I'd look bored if I was playing outside Isa, the only pass coming his way went in the stand.

Before that he put Lomax on his bum with his step. He should have stayed at centre with Isa on the wing.
Commented at the time

Very odd that the team strength was and remains our left side attack yet almost every time in the second half we persisted going down the Isa/Hankinson combo with Budgie, Gilly and Williams looking on

Everything stopped with Isa. God bless him he tried hard but he is a squad man playing regular first team in the backs and it shows badly
I'm a better fan than you
Because I don't "Boo"!!!

Yes I bloody know transfer fees do not count on the salary cap for those illiterates that need it explaining to them because they assume everyone is as thick as they are :roll:
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Caboosegg wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:36 pm
Really? I havent seen anything YET fron Hankinson, i thought he looked bored and uninterested on Friday.
Wouldn't you look bored and uninterested, He's had the chance to prove himself at top level, Just as he start showing promise he get's injured then get's loaned out, Then get's a chance only to be dropped a week later for the golden boy then get's another chance only to be moved out of position and have another player who is out of position playing inside him, We should be trying him in the second row see if he is any good there seeing as it is more akin to a centre than a winger
moto748

Post by moto748 »

Caboosegg wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:25 pm Obviously someone put in these youngsters heads that the NRL is the be all and end all.

Then again sky say it, coaches say it clubs say it. When the people involved treat SL as second rate why should players be any different?
Or maybe they just watch the NRL on their telly and make their own mind up? I know I do.