Gilly

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Lazy J

Re: Gilly

Post by Lazy J »

ddtftf wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:07 pm I watched the Catalans game last night and was wondering if people watching RL for the first time and seeing a player deliberately pass the ball on a player lying on the ground to gain a penalty would be the last time they ever watched a match. In the NRL they play on and ignore it we need to learn a lesson its PATHETIC :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
goes back to refereeing standards

"The RFL statement read: “Following a review of the first two weeks of the Betfred Super League season, it has become clear that some players are deliberately passing a ball into a player with the sole intention of forcing the Match Official to award a penalty for offside.”

“Having reviewed these incidents, Rugby Football League Head of Match Officials, Steve Ganson, has written to all Head Coaches and made it clear that in these situations, Match Officials have now been instructed to consider Section 15 (i) of the Laws of the Game which state that a player is guilty of misconduct if he behaves in any way contrary to the true spirit of the game.

“This does not in any way absolve a defender of his responsibilities to clear the ruck and the defending team will still be penalised should the Match Official deem he is interfering with play.”

https://www.seriousaboutrl.com/the-rfl- ... ised-4656/

that was February 2017, the interpretation of the rule was changed, its down to referees to act "for the good of the game"
There are 10 types of people, those who get binary and those who dont!
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

pearsy wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:02 am I was hoping we would have brought Charnley back when he came back from the dark side and turned him to a centre he would have know how to create space for the winger unlike DS.I know before some people comment on we resigne to many ex players but I think it would have been worth it in this case
Sounds so simple doesn't it.

Is that your honest view? "Convert him to centre as he would know how to create space for a winger."

Jesus wept.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Southern Softy wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:07 pm I really like Marshall in virtually every way as a RL winger but I still have nightmares remembering that Wembley final when Hull kicked everything high at him and it cost us tries. I hoped Wane would do some coaching to improve him under pressure with the high ball but it never happened and patently the current regime don't bother with defence near the line so be prepared for Salford (and everyone else) to bombard him. The hope is that Hankinson, who seems to have a brain, will shepherd him or take the high balls himself. Sarginson missing might prove to be a blessing.
Whose hope? Yours or the clubs?

Either way, sounds stupid given that he barely makes the team.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

pearsy wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:57 pm Should be a level playing field same game same rules
How do you go about organising that? Do we adjust to the aussies or them to us?

Governed by two different bodies in two different countries.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

ddtftf wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:07 pm I watched the Catalans game last night and was wondering if people watching RL for the first time and seeing a player deliberately pass the ball on a player lying on the ground to gain a penalty would be the last time they ever watched a match. In the NRL they play on and ignore it we need to learn a lesson its PATHETIC :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
Who was the offender?
The booze hound

Post by The booze hound »

Caboosegg wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:30 am
moto748 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:43 pm Caboose>

I'm not saying Wigan youngsters shouldn't regard playing for the Warriors as an honour, and I'm sure most of them do. What I am saying is that you only have to watch them side by side to see that the NRL is generally played at a way higher than the vast majority of SL games. Surely you don't dispute that?
I also have a slight conspiracy theory that NRL streamed games are slightly sped up for TV.
It's easy to put that theory to bed by simply timing the match clock.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

But who does that and even speeding it up by a quater of a second would have a massive impact.

Im not saying its truthful hence the i have a conspiricy theory.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

medlocke wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:22 pm
Who was the offender?
Shenton played the ball deliberately into the Catalan player 😡
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
ddtftf

Post by ddtftf »

It was so deliberate and is not in the spirit of the game no matter what team does it
moto748

Post by moto748 »

I think the key is that in the NRL the refs are much stricter on "milking"; you hear them shout it all the time. So players are encouraged just to get on with the game, and if the dummy-half has to reach over a prone player to pick up the ball, he normally just does it, with only really serious and clear-cut examples of loitering in the ruck being penalised with a penalty. Which, it seems to me, is how it should be.