19-man squad vs Salford

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

19-man squad vs Salford

Post by josie andrews »

Adrian Lam names 19-man squad to face Salford Red Devils.

Youngsters Amir Bourouh and Harry Smith brought into 19.

Wigan travel to the AJ Bell Stadium on Easter Monday in the Betfred Super League.

Wigan Warriors Head Coach, Adrian Lam, has named his 19-man squad to face Salford Red Devils at the AJ Bell Stadium on Easter Monday, 3pm kick-off.

Last time the two Clubs met at the AJ Bell Stadium, Wigan came out on top with George Williams bagging a hat-trick of tries against the Red Devils in a 22-30 win.

Injury News

Jake Shorrocks is declared fit after being removed from the Good Friday derby on a stretcher with a head injury.

Winger Liam Marshall returns to the 19-man squad for the first time since picking up a knee injury against Huddersfield on 8th March

Long-term absentees Tony Clubb, Dom Manfredi, Jarrod Sammut and Liam Farrell remain on the comeback trail.

Wigan 19-man squad to face Salford:

Amir Bourouh, Joe Bullock, Joe Burgess, Morgan Escare, Ben Flower, Oliver Gildart, Joe Greenwood, Chris Hankinson, ZakHardaker, Willie Isa, Tommy Leuluai, Liam Marshall, Sean O’Loughlin, Oliver Partington, Jake Shorrocks, Harry Smith, Morgan Smithies, Taulima Tautai, George Williams

https://www.wiganwarriors.com/news/2019 ... yJGOZAt.99
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
fozzieskem

Re: 19-man squad vs Salford

Post by fozzieskem »

All things considered that’s not a bad looking squad,good news about young Jake though I’d be tempted to throw young Smith in fir a game or two
EagleEyePie

Post by EagleEyePie »

Hopefully with one game under their belts already following injury the likes of Flower, Lockers and Greenwood can have a bigger influence in this one. They shouldn't be as fatigued as some of our other players having missing a few games this year.

Escare and Shorrocks should drop out for this one in my opinion.

Hardaker; Marshall, Hankinson, Gildart, Burgess; Williams, Smith; Partington, Leuluai, Bullock; Smithies, Greenwood, O'Loughlin
Bench: Bourouh, Flower, Tautai, Isa
Dev

Post by Dev »

EagleEyePie wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:55 pm Hopefully with one game under their belts already following injury the likes of Flower, Lockers and Greenwood can have a bigger influence in this one. They shouldn't be as fatigued as some of our other players having missing a few games this year.

Hardaker; Marshall, Hankinson, Gildart, Burgess; Williams, Smith; Partington, Leuluai, Bullock; Smithies, Greenwood, O'Loughlin
Why should Escare drop out for? The lad needs a chance and with 2 games in 3 days he would be great to have in the squad, fresh legs when Salford will be possibly struggling in the latter stages of the match.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Dev wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:10 pm
EagleEyePie wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:55 pm Hopefully with one game under their belts already following injury the likes of Flower, Lockers and Greenwood can have a bigger influence in this one. They shouldn't be as fatigued as some of our other players having missing a few games this year.

Why should Escare drop out for? The lad needs a chance and with 2 games in 3 days he would be great to have in the squad, fresh legs when Salford will be possibly struggling in the latter stages of the match.
I agree, I would play Escare & leave out Tautai.

If Escare had been on the bench on Friday he could have gone on the wing instead of Hankinson & left Shorrocks where he was instead of playing him at centre! Just IMO of course 😊
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

If Lam doesnt give Escare a shot and potentially rushs back marshall (im sure he was only due next week) then he needs shooting.

I know hes hard to fit in the squad but he add alot of energy which we are missing.

I would drop shorrocks just to give the lad a rest, it must be a massive mental challenge to be expected to be on the pitch 2 days after being in hospital.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Caboosegg wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 2:08 pm If Lam doesnt give Escare a shot and potentially rushs back marshall (im sure he was only due next week) then he needs shooting.

I know hes hard to fit in the squad but he add alot of energy which we are missing.

I would drop shorrocks just to give the lad a rest, it must be a massive mental challenge to be expected to be on the pitch 2 days after being in hospital.
I spoke to Marshy before the game & asked when he would be back? He replied Monday hopefully. So he must have been ready Friday.

The problem that we have no reserve team is these players have nowhere to go to get match fit!
Nezza Faz

Post by Nezza Faz »

But to pick 4 forwards on the bench yesterday was stupid and offered no cover to the backline, as we all witnessed. Couldn't understand that tactic, on a baking hot day when there was a chance to move their big pack men around.
And Backs get injuries just as much as Forwards !
EagleEyePie

Post by EagleEyePie »

Because he's not as good as Hardaker at fullback, isn't as good as Marshall on the wing and he's very poor when defending in the defensive line so can't really play in any other position. So where would he play? He was given a chance and didn't play well enough to remain in the side.
Dev

Post by Dev »

EagleEyePie wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:01 pm

Because he's not as good as Hardaker at fullback, isn't as good as Marshall on the wing and he's very poor when defending in the defensive line so can't really play in any other position. So where would he play? He was given a chance and didn't play well enough to remain in the side.
I understand he’s not as good as Zak or Marshall on the wing and I’m not saying he should start the match, what I’m saying is he will be good as a replacement later on in the match because Marshall won’t be 100% fit anyway. It worked last season with escare as a replacement for the latter stages of the match.