Sarginson

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
moto748

Re: Sarginson

Post by moto748 »

I get fed up saying this, but inconvenient facts in the form of stats tell us Gelling made no more 'brain farts' than the average of comparable players whilst he was here. I would have him over Sarge any day (even though I don't think Sarge is as bad as many make out).
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

moto748 wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:35 pm I get fed up saying this, but inconvenient facts in the form of stats tell us Gelling made no more 'brain farts' than the average of comparable players whilst he was here. I would have him over Sarge any day (even though I don't think Sarge is as bad as many make out).
Stats only tell half the story

for example a centre dropping the ball at the end of a flowing move 5m from the opponents line goes down as an error

Also trying an impossible offload 10m from your own line resulting in a drop ball and the opposition scoring goes down as an error

Both of those register a 1 against someones error count but the ramifications are wildly different. Fans dont just club together at the start of the season and say "lets say this guy makes loads of mistakes" - there again is a good reason why most people on here will tell you that Gelling was prone to very costly errors.

Its the same with penalties the stats dont tell you when and were the penalties are given and how much of an impact it has on the team.

Some stats are useful but often your eyes provide a better barometer for judging a player
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

And stats never tell us how many times the player is caught out of position or lazy getting back into the defensive line
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

Firestarter wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:00 pm And stats never tell us how many times the player is caught out of position or lazy getting back into the defensive line
But they do give a more informed version that just a fans opinion. You cant prover how many times ge was out of position or slow getting back to the line.

They also dont show you how many times he stopped a certain try or how many times that break he made resulted in a try

Or even how he still offloaded a ball for a try even though his hamstring snapped while running.

I enjoy his youtube highlight reel still and our right attack has been pants since he left......
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
wall_of_voodoo

Post by wall_of_voodoo »

Well this thread has gone from debating Sarginson to a player who wanted away in Gelling

My opinion of Gelling was that when he played well he was the best player on the field. When he played badly he was the worst, there was little middle ground and his virtuoso performances could be counted to probably two or three times per season
I'm a better fan than you
Because I don't "Boo"!!!

Yes I bloody know transfer fees do not count on the salary cap for those illiterates that need it explaining to them because they assume everyone is as thick as they are :roll:
pedro

Post by pedro »

Sarge wanted away too
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

pedro wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:02 pm Sarge wanted away too
And everyone cheered when he left, We have become that rubbish that certain fans think he is an important player
pearsy

Post by pearsy »

You are right again meds.Wish we could find a Garry Connoly or a Inga those where the days
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

pearsy wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:27 pm You are right again meds.Wish we could find a Garry Connoly or a Inga those where the days
I would be happy with a George Carmont
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

medlocke wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:50 pm
pearsy wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:27 pm You are right again meds.Wish we could find a Garry Connoly or a Inga those where the days
I would be happy with a George Carmont
Goulding for me. Always thought he was very underrated and played well above his weight.

Thought he was a solid centre who did the basics right.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."