3 return for cas

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
captinjack

Re: 3 return for cas

Post by captinjack »

DaveO wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:28 am
Wiganer Ted wrote:I'd rest them as we need our experienced players back. We have to stop teams making 60-80 mtrs on a set and Barge over tries as the way to beat us.
Do I think Smithies should be selected over Lockers, no I don't.
Do I think Bourough should be selected in front of Powell no I don't.
18 year olds can help out but can't do a long term job for you. Both have a great future in the game but too many SL games at their age could be the wrong thing altogether.
If you are good enough you are old enough. Powell is old enough but not good enough.

With Lockers it’s got to the stage if he can’t do more than ten minutes a half we really need him to retire. That doesn’t mean Smithies is the answer but the club needs to sort this out.

Neither Lockers nor Powell are offering more than their replacements. With Lockers it’s just down to being unable to play the minutes. With Powell we have had a couple of combinations when he’s been injured and suspended that are better then when he’s in the team so his return is really quite a depressing prospect.
Got to agree with you Dave, Powell is not the answer at hooker. I'll give Sam his due he is a good tackler, a hooker he is not. Would be better to go with the youngsters, at hooker, who will at least make a break from the play the ball. I can't remember the last time Sam Powell did it.
wall_of_voodoo

Post by wall_of_voodoo »

captinjack wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:23 pm
DaveO wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:28 am
Wiganer Ted wrote:I'd rest them as we need our experienced players back. We have to stop teams making 60-80 mtrs on a set and Barge over tries as the way to beat us.
Do I think Smithies should be selected over Lockers, no I don't.
Do I think Bourough should be selected in front of Powell no I don't.
18 year olds can help out but can't do a long term job for you. Both have a great future in the game but too many SL games at their age could be the wrong thing altogether.
If you are good enough you are old enough. Powell is old enough but not good enough.

With Lockers it’s got to the stage if he can’t do more than ten minutes a half we really need him to retire. That doesn’t mean Smithies is the answer but the club needs to sort this out.

Neither Lockers nor Powell are offering more than their replacements. With Lockers it’s just down to being unable to play the minutes. With Powell we have had a couple of combinations when he’s been injured and suspended that are better then when he’s in the team so his return is really quite a depressing prospect.
Got to agree with you Dave, Powell is not the answer at hooker. I'll give Sam his due he is a good tackler, a hooker he is not. Would be better to go with the youngsters, at hooker, who will at least make a break from the play the ball. I can't remember the last time Sam Powell did it.
+1

I don't disagree that with Powell at hooker it means we don't need an interchange hooker on the bench so it gives Lam the option of a more balanced bench. Crux is that for 80 minutes we are going to gain plenty of tackles, but no running from dummy half and some seriously slow/poor passes from the hooking position again

Daryl Powell will think it's Christmas
I'm a better fan than you
Because I don't "Boo"!!!

Yes I bloody know transfer fees do not count on the salary cap for those illiterates that need it explaining to them because they assume everyone is as thick as they are :roll:
stevo38

Post by stevo38 »

daryl powell may have a few injuries himself .but when he see s sam powells name on that team sheet he will have a very ry smile .surely everyone of powells negatives out weigh is one positive
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

For the future we may find a replacement for Powell and O'Loughlin but Saturday v Cas they must both play.
Powell will do the 80 and TL will to to 7 where he will play the 80.
This will give Lam more options re the interchanges for his forwards.

As for Sarge, I still reckon Hardaker should stay right centre with Escare fb and Dan benched.
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

If Powell isn’t the answer at 9... where would he go? He was the worst number 7 Wigan have had in a generation or two so not there
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

ancientnloyal wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:43 am If Powell isn’t the answer at 9... where would he go? He was the worst number 7 Wigan have had in a generation or two so not there
Featherstone
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

Bookies have Wigan slight favourites to win by 5+
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

I’d be amazed if Powell doesn’t play to be honest,I do hope the keyboard coaches have plenty of ice for their finger tips when the team news breaks😀
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

Of course Powell will play, talk of him being replaced is medium/long term and not for this Saturday.
Powell to 9, Tommy to 7 and I'd keep Hardaker at centre and Escare fb with Sarge on the bench.
Also Hankinson to start second row again and have Isa on the bench.