3 return for cas

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
stevo38

3 return for cas

Post by stevo38 »

lam says sarg,lockers and powell are back for cas not sure if thats supposed be good news
shaunedwardsfanclub

Re: 3 return for cas

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

It is even if it is only competition for places.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

Lockers and Powell are shoe ins. As for Sarge, I wouldn't move Hardaker away from right centre nor Hankinson from right 2nd row. Escare absolutely must stay at fb.
Cas are short of outstanding pace, bar Eden, and the more fast men we have out there the better.

Escare, Marshall, Hardaker, Gildart, Burgess, Williams Luluai, Flower, Powell, Bullock, Hankinson, Greenwood, O'Loughlin. Bench - Tautai, Partington, Isa, Sarginson.
Dev

Post by Dev »

Wiganer Ted wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:50 pm Lockers and Powell are shoe ins. As for Sarge, I wouldn't move Hardaker away from right centre nor Hankinson from right 2nd row. Escare absolutely must stay at fb.
Cas are short of outstanding pace, bar Eden, and the more fast men we have out there the better.

Escare, Marshall, Hardaker, Gildart, Burgess, Williams Luluai, Flower, Powell, Bullock, Hankinson, Greenwood, O'Loughlin. Bench - Tautai, Partington, Isa, Sarginson.
Why would you drop the young lads out the squad? Should go with the same squad as yesterday, to many changes all the time, need a settled team.
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

I'd rest them as we need our experienced players back. We have to stop teams making 60-80 mtrs on a set and Barge over tries as the way to beat us.
Do I think Smithies should be selected over Lockers, no I don't.
Do I think Bourough should be selected in front of Powell no I don't.
18 year olds can help out but can't do a long term job for you. Both have a great future in the game but too many SL games at their age could be the wrong thing altogether.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Wiganer Ted wrote:I'd rest them as we need our experienced players back. We have to stop teams making 60-80 mtrs on a set and Barge over tries as the way to beat us.
18 year olds can help out but can't do a long term job for you. Both have a great future in the game but too many SL games at their age could be the wrong thing altogether.
If you are good enough you are old enough. Powell is old enough but not good enough.

With Lockers it’s got to the stage if he can’t do more than ten minutes a half we really need him to retire. That doesn’t mean Smithies is the answer but the club needs to sort this out.

Neither Lockers nor Powell are offering more than their replacements. With Lockers it’s just down to being unable to play the minutes. With Powell we have had a couple of combinations when he’s been injured and suspended that are better then when he’s in the team so his return is really quite a depressing prospect.
Dev

Post by Dev »

DaveO wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:28 am
Wiganer Ted wrote:I'd rest them as we need our experienced players back. We have to stop teams making 60-80 mtrs on a set and Barge over tries as the way to beat us.
If you are good enough you are old enough. Powell is old enough but not good enough.

With Lockers it’s got to the stage if he can’t do more than ten minutes a half we really need him to retire. That doesn’t mean Smithies is the answer but the club needs to sort this out.

Neither Lockers nor Powell are offering more than their replacements. With Lockers it’s just down to being unable to play the minutes. With Powell we have had a couple of combinations when he’s been injured and suspended that are better then when he’s in the team so his return is really quite a depressing prospect.
Agreed! Lockers is passed it, would rather a young lad that could give us more than 10 mins on the pitch each half. Yes lockers has the experience but he would be better off retiring and being in and around the players as a coach.
doc

Post by doc »

We need a win!

If results go our way we are 8th, if they don't we are next to bottom again!
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

18 year olds can only step up for a while before fatigue hits them, so bringing back Powell and Lockers makes us stronger. Just look at Powell’s stats, and the ease with which we were run over on the line in their absence. Both of those know how to defend. Given we have shown we can score tries against pretty much anyone, all we need to do to win games is get back to defending down the middle and close to the line.

I am a fan do Sarg, who showed amazing resilience and commitment when his brother passed away, and who has been central to 2 Grand Final wins. He gives us metres and commitment in defence. That said, I am relaxed about whether we play with him or Hardaker on Saturday.

It is good to see us getting closer to full strength. Our Achilles heel is that we went into the season with too few big men, and we seem to have lost Hamlin, with our seemingly being unable to move forward or backwards. If we can cobble a decent pack together, we can beat any team as our back line remains superb (particularly once we get Sammutt back). If we can stop Trueman for once, we should win this.