Adrian Lam reveals he wants to stay on as Wigan Warriors coach

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Adrian Lam reveals he wants to stay on as Wigan Warriors coach

Post by josie andrews »

Adrian Lam has admitted for the first time he would like to stay on as Wigan coach.

The incumbent boss is the bookmakers' favourite to be in charge next season following Shaun Edwards' high-profile U-turn last week.

And club chairman Ian Lenagan says he is a "serious contender for the post.

Lam has previously sidestepped questions about his future, only going as far as to say he may be open to the idea.

But now he seems keen on the idea and when asked whether he would like the role, he replied: "I think so.

"It's been a difficult time with the injury tolls and you'd prefer a different start, so that's inspiring a bit.

"I'm enjoying working with the players in this group. What's been great is when it's been difficult, nobody has pointed a finger, they've not doubted what we're doing.

“I guess I'll need to start thinking about it.

Wigan are ninth in the Super League table but Lenagan has been pleased with the impact Lam has made since succeeded Shaun Wane.

"Adrian has added a lot already in terms of style and his own character," Lenagan told BBC Manchester last week.

“Shaun Wane was difficult to take over from in terms of achievements and the only thing Adrian hasn't done is get us into top five at this stage but we have had difficulties in injuries and some other things.

“He has shown he has capabilities and he is a serious contender to continue the job.”

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/adrian ... -1-9728269
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
medlocke

Re: Adrian Lam reveals he wants to stay on as Wigan Warriors coach

Post by medlocke »

Just hurry up and sort it ffs, Bring in a couple of jazzy assistants with no Wigan connection and start to rebuild the team
southportcdm

Post by southportcdm »

No, absolutely not. Lam hasn't shown me that he can do the job well enough yet. I realise that the circumstances have been difficult for him but how can we be certain that he'd have done a better job without the injuries etc? If he's seriously being considered (which means the management have not even thought about a replacement) at least give him chance to put together a run of five or six wins. If we give him the job now it would be like a reverse Solskjaer i.e. he's proved he can't do the job so give it to him.
bertina

Post by bertina »

medlocke wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:44 am Just hurry up and sort it ffs, Bring in a couple of jazzy assistants with no Wigan connection and start to rebuild the team
I agree with that Meds.
What I dont understand is all the anti Lam crowd.
He has been left in the lurch big time.
Quality players leaving and not being replaced with quality.
Tommy, Clubb and Lockers gone round probably 1 season too many.
Dreadful luck with injuries.
He can only pick what he has at his disposal, and as the old saying goes, you cannot make a silk purse out of a sows ear.
As for tactics, I'm pretty sure he isn't telling the players to drop the ball, give away stupid penalties, miss tackles, and kick the ball straight in the opposing full backs hands at the end of each set.
I doubt anyone could have done much better with the personnel available at Wigan at the moment.
SJ

Post by SJ »

Totally agree with Meds and Bertina.
Look at what Halbrook inherited from Saints arguably the best No. 9 and Captain in the world Whereas Lamb gets Wannabes and a crocked captain well past it.

Give AL some money to nuy some quality proven pro's and ditch the dead wood including CR.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

SJ wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:03 pm Totally agree with Meds and Bertina.
Look at what Halbrook inherited from Saints arguably the best No. 9 and Captain in the world Whereas Lamb gets Wannabes and a crocked captain well past it.

Give AL some money to nuy some quality proven pro's and ditch the dead wood including CR.
Me too 😊
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
ian.birchall

Post by ian.birchall »

But who the heck is CR?
SOL?
TT?
TL?
DS?
SP?
LF?
TC?
CM?
HAMLIN?
Seems CR? is a dark horse coming up on the rails!

I've worked it out now. We are going to sign Cristiano Ronaldo 😂
Last edited by ian.birchall on Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

ian.birchall wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:51 pm But who the heck is CR?
SOL?
TT?
TL?
DS?
SP?
LF?
TC?
CM?
HAMLIN?
Seems CR? is a dark horse coming up on the rails!
Kris Radlinski?
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
moto748

Post by moto748 »

I don't. I think southport has it right. There is no rush. Lam hasn't shown enough yet to be offered the job on a plate. The club can easily afford to wait until well into the season. What is the benefit of rushing to a decision with (after all) an untried coach right now? Just soi that fans "know where they stand"? That's nowhere near a good enough reason.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

moto748 wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:29 pm
I don't. I think southport has it right. There is no rush. Lam hasn't shown enough yet to be offered the job on a plate. The club can easily afford to wait until well into the season. What is the benefit of rushing to a decision with (after all) an untried coach right now? Just soi that fans "know where they stand"? That's nowhere near a good enough reason.
But it is

Its not just fans the players need to know that too, everything would be more settled if we knew the club had a plan or direction but at the moment we seem completely rudderless. I agree with the notion Radders has to go to, the guys done a lot for the club for sure but he is clearly out his depth.

Before issues on the field are taken care of we need to really overhaul the backroom staff and make sure that they are fit for purpose not just "oh you played for us heres a job!"

Its like the Lockers being moved to the coaching set up? why? do we need him? is there a place for him? will he be any good at all in that capacity? what happens if he isnt?

The club is being run in an amateurish fashion right now from the boardroom to the pitch and that WILL effect season ticket sales and crowd sizes
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure