Kicking early

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Re: Kicking early

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

nathan_rugby wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:33 pm Why do we keep kicking early even though Castlefords wingers are dropped?

Only really makes sense if the wingers haven’t dropped or you have the power to kick it behind the FB and Wingers but we don’t...
Because our forwards can’t make yards, simples!
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
shaunedwardsfanclub

medlocke wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:00 pm 2 penalties from Lockers so far, Good job :shock:
Come on Cas did same in second half and got away with it. Inconsistent refereeing.
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

shaunedwardsfanclub wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:17 am
nathan_rugby wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:33 pm Why do we keep kicking early even though Castlefords wingers are dropped?

Only really makes sense if the wingers haven’t dropped or you have the power to kick it behind the FB and Wingers but we don’t...
I agree our forwards dont make yards, but, is it our forwards, or our style ov play? Ive not seen a wigan pack dominate early season for some time....... itsour threequarters that do most of the hard work especially in our own 25
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
shaunedwardsfanclub

This is the worse Wigan pack for 40 years.on a night like tonight forwards have got to run straight and hard. Cas were decimated but still bossed us down the middle.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

ddtftf wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:06 pm Hate to be objective but worst game of boring rugby i have ever seen , lucky to get 8 thousand on for London .
Once again only Bullock looks like a real prop forward with a great tackle rate if you watch how many tackles he makes, & a message for Lam, if you lye flat in attack you will never get a good go forward from the forwards as they cannot run onto the ball with any purpose. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Even Flower looks like he isn't up to it anymore.

Very simplistic mindset but why can they just not run hard and fast? It always looks a laboured, half hearted attempt. We seem to be getting tackled on or around the gain line every time.

Wonder what the avg gain of our forwards is like compared to other top forwards and also vs our own on previous years.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

shaunedwardsfanclub wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:17 am

Why kick on the 4th though when we do not have a kicker with good range and Castlefords wingers are dropped?
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Levrier

Post by Levrier »

I was thinking during the game that a thoughtful kicker would have varied it a bit. We were kicking from our 30 so they were picking it up and driving back to the half way. A quality half like Tomkins would have loved the little dink over the top where even if we did not regain it they would still be starting on half way. There were acres of space behind their line that we did not even look at. OK it is a risky strategy but they did not have a lot of pace and it would encourage their wingers to drop less deep next time. :geek:
pedro

Post by pedro »

nathan_rugby wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:19 am
ddtftf wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:06 pm Hate to be objective but worst game of boring rugby i have ever seen , lucky to get 8 thousand on for London .
Once again only Bullock looks like a real prop forward with a great tackle rate if you watch how many tackles he makes, & a message for Lam, if you lye flat in attack you will never get a good go forward from the forwards as they cannot run onto the ball with any purpose. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Even Flower looks like he isn't up to it anymore.

Very simplistic mindset but why can they just not run hard and fast? It always looks a laboured, half hearted attempt. We seem to be getting tackled on or around the gain line every time.

Wonder what the avg gain of our forwards is like compared to other top forwards and also vs our own on previous years.
We miss flowers tackling in the middle, stiffened us up when he came back on. Disagree on bullock I’ve seen him miss many important tackles and shoot out of the line this year. Flower is our best prop by a country mile
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

To me Bullock is in the “one step forward,two steps back” period at the moment,he’s doing ok but been exposed by the sheer lack of decent props at Wigan currently,as said Flower is by far the best prop at Wigan currently
w.thomas

Post by w.thomas »

Whilst I think flower is steady and gets through some work he makes 0 yards a lot of the time. We could do with a whole new pack though imo