Liam Byrne and the Other Fringe Players

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
First Try Tickle

Liam Byrne and the Other Fringe Players

Post by First Try Tickle »

Was wondering on Saturday what the situation was with Liam Byrne. He's a prop and we were down to 3 against Cas and they have a big pack. Was surprised to seem Smithies on the bench again instead of him, or even Paisley,

Was also thinking about the others, Ganson couldn't even get a look in before the U19 hooker Bourouh.

Then there's Worthington and Forsyth, 2 centres here before Hankinson but never get a mention.

and as for Callum Field, Jack Wells and Caine Barnes, I've no idea of the situation.
No straw damn us

Re: Liam Byrne and the Other Fringe Players

Post by No straw damn us »

Wells played his third game of the season for Swinton in Toronto yesterday, Harry Smith and Liam Paisley also played, but no signs of Ganson.
Byrne is still only 19 years of age so has plenty time on his side.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Wigan Warriors trio play for Swinton in front of bumper Toronto crowd

Three Wigan players were in the Swinton side which made a little of rugby league history at Toronto yesterday.

Forward Jack Wells continued his comeback from injury while Liam Paisley and Harry Smith also played for the Lions - on either loan or dual-registration - as they went down 52-10 to the Wolfpack.

But what made the game so extraordinary was the crowd of 9,562 at Lamport Stadium, which the RFL today confirmed the was the best attendance for a regular-season league match outside Super League since Hull got 12,150 to the derby against Hull KR at the Boulevard in 1997, when they were both in Division One.

England academy international Smith, who was in Wigan's 19-man first-team squad last week, kicked one conversion for the Lions, who trailed 24-6 at half-time.

Many of Wigan's fringe players figure in the lower-leagues on either loan or dual-registration because they are too old for the Under-19s, and hopes a competitive reserves league would be created this year collapsed.

Elsewhere in the Championship, Wigan's Callum Field started at prop as Dewsbury claimed a 25-24 win at Widnes.

And Josh Woods - on loan at Leigh for the year - played halfback in a 36-16 win at Batley.

In League One, for Workington, James Worthington played on the wing and scored a try in a 32-26 loss at Keighley. His Wigan team-mate Caine Barnes started at second-row.

And a trio of Wigan players featured for London Skolars in a 42-26 win at Hunslet.

Full-back Joe Brown, on a month's loan, scored two tries and halfback James Barran - at the Skolars for the season - crossed for one.

Craig Mullen also figured, on dual-registration, at centre.

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/wigan- ... -1-9737064
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Ganson is now behind Amir Bourouh in the pecking order!
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
southportcdm

Post by southportcdm »

I didn't think any of our lads looked impressive in Toronto and Sammy Kibula doesn't seem to be getting rave reviews for Dewsbury (didn't play this week). Most of them need more time to develop before we rush them into the first team. Its easy for us to think these talented lads are the answer to our squad problems but the championship is the best place for most them this season and maybe next season too. The only player doing consistently well at championship level seems to be Josh Woods and he's had more experience of the first team than most of the others.
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

Still, at least we have a collection of them not to choose from
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
w.thomas

Post by w.thomas »

On woods a lot of the lobbie fans ive spoke to dont rate him at all, too slow apparently. Also I cant understand signing a championship center in Hankinson from swinton then loaning arguably a better player if not the same calibre in forsyth back to swinton. Madness if you ask me. Just looking at that list of players in other sides its no wonder we have no cap space. I understand young players need games but surely we dont need to keep so many....
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

Isn’t it a numbers game , though? We have Smithies and Partington who look every inch future stars, which is a good strike rate from that group. I also like the look of Harry Smith, and much prefer Hankinson to Forsyth,
bertina

Post by bertina »

Exiled Wiganer wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:09 pm Isn’t it a numbers game , though? We have Smithies and Partington who look every inch future stars, which is a good strike rate from that group. I also like the look of Harry Smith, and much prefer Hankinson to Forsyth,
Hankinson is way better than Forsyth. For me, Forsyth is the perfect example of the deadwood we need to clear out.
markill

Post by markill »

First Try Tickle wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:29 pm Was wondering on Saturday what the situation was with Liam Byrne. He's a prop and we were down to 3 against Cas and they have a big pack. Was surprised to seem Smithies on the bench again instead of him, or even Paisley,

Was also thinking about the others, Ganson couldn't even get a look in before the U19 hooker Bourouh.

Then there's Worthington and Forsyth, 2 centres here before Hankinson but never get a mention.

and as for Callum Field, Jack Wells and Caine Barnes, I've no idea of the situation.
I assumed Byrne was injured to be honest, although he was showing signs of needing to step back from the senior side in his last couple of games, sometimes taking them back out for a spell is the best thing for them in their development. Paisley is obviously fit as he's been playing at Swinton, he's been patchy and probably just seen as cover right now for us as he develops. Ganson has dropped down the pecking order, obviously not impressed in the pre-season. No idea about Worthington, but Forsyth is playing most weeks for Swinton, and that's probably his level. Field and Barnes are both out on season long loan I thought, Dewsbury and Workington respectively I think.

My suspicion is that most of these kids were on club-friendly deals and had threatened to break into the first team in the last couple of years. So the club probably wanted to give them all a chance to be evaluated under the new coaching structure post-Wane. A few of them probably haven't taken the opportunity, a few others just need games on loan at lower levels.

It was good to see Wells back in action, his fitness seemed quite a way off though in the Swinton v Toronto game.

By all accounts young Barran and Brown are doing great at London Skolars.
in the world of mules, there are no rules

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE
https://www.spreaker.com/user/superleaguepod