Sam Powell

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
fozzieskem

Re: Sam Powell

Post by fozzieskem »

Caboosegg wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:04 pm Im not a sam powell fan but the fact is hes always picked. To me that means the trained proffesional coaches obviously see something we dont.
Oh Please don’t say that it’ll lead to yet another essay from Dave..Christ we get it you think Powell is crap,there I’ve cut the word count down for you.
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

medlocke wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:10 pm
morley pie eater wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:20 pm No, I can't think of a game which Sam "won for us". Then again, same goes for Isa, Sarge, Tommy, Greenwood, Flower, Clubb, T, Sutty, and quite a few more - tho some of you may have better memories than me.

Most games are won by team effort and few teams ever have match winners or world class stars in every position. Maybe we were spoiled in the 80s and early 90s?

I think my problem is trying to take a half-way position against those who only see extremes. If you argue in favour of one of OUR players, you're a troll whilst, naturally, loyal fans slag OUR players off.

You couldn't make it up!

It's the modern social media attitude that anyone who has a different opinion to me is fair game for any insult.

Hope you all enjoy the London game and that the weather is good :D
Why can't you grasp that Powell is not a Wigan standard hooker and 9 along with 1,6,7,13 is where you need creative players with pace and handling skills, Making 50+ tackles a game is simply not good enough for a player who is supposed to be creating space for players, He needs to go and if he doesn't then he needs to bemoved to bench hooker and Lenagan needs to use one marque slot and bring in Jake Friend
Thanks for your opinion, Meds. There's always a debate about whether a team should be built to pre-determined specifications, or do you work with what you've got? I'm told that someone called Mourinho tried buying lots of expensive players but didn't end up with a team. Could Wane have been right?

Were you cold on Saturday?
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Powell brings good defence. That's what we need at the moment (plus some more go forward from somewhere), the attack is looking after itself OK if we can get them in the oppositions half. Powell seems like a good option to me at this point.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
yonmon

Post by yonmon »

Mr Powell certainly divides opinion doesn't he?.
A good squad player who can cover numerous positions is a plus for any side when the inevitable injuries start to appear.I have to agree with the post by Ted that we have bigger problems elsewhere at the moment so I just hope Powell keeps playing well......all things being equal,I like Powell.
SJ

Post by SJ »

fozzieskem wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:34 pm
Caboosegg wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:04 pm Im not a sam powell fan but the fact is hes always picked. To me that means the trained proffesional coaches obviously see something we dont.
Oh Please don’t say that it’ll lead to yet another essay from Dave..Christ we get it you think Powell is crap,there I’ve cut the word count down for you.
Nice one Fozz and very succint🍷
EagleEyePie

Post by EagleEyePie »

Powell defends well and has the stamina to keep making a huge number of tackles for 80 minutes. Coaches love that. If the rest of the team plays well then that's all he needs to do. His defence is his strength, his attack has always been his weakness. He's not in the same class as Roby, Clark, Houghton, McShane etc and to be fair no one in their right mind would make that suggestion. That's probably why he gets criticism - people want top class players in the side.

At present he's the best option we've got because he improves our defence and has the work rate to play long minutes. Leuluai is a good hooker but can't play long minutes anymore. Shorrocks is nowhere near good enough defensively although has much better pass accuracy than Powell. Bourouh isn't ready. When we're defending well but unable to create then Powell isn't the player to help. If you're attacking well but the defence is crap you'd love to have someone like Powell.

What I don't like about him is he's a horrible player full or canonball tackles, chicken wings etc. All the underhand stuff that fans like to suggest our team is all about. It doesn't apply to the team, it does apply to Powell.
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

Great squad player - not a star but please, he should never be acting half-back. His distribution is so slow and his passing is 'loopy' so we can't get the ball to our wings before the oppo defence is marshalled.
He's playing well at the moment, apart from the penalties conceded but he's a hooker and at a pinch, a loose-forward and not creative, Also, Isa should never find himself at acting half-back. Don't we practice set plays and disciplines in training?