Sam Powell

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
medlocke

Re: Sam Powell

Post by medlocke »

When was his last try before this awe inspiring try?
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

It was his first try this year

I gave Powell credit for the match which was deserved but i thought at the end of the match that this was the match Powell fans were waiting for but if nothing else it actually has the opposite effect it shows you how poor he is most of the time.

I said in a previous post that the Powell supporters often would only cite "the coach picks him" as defence of him as a player, the fact they finally have a match to use as an example shows you how few and far between they are, no doubt in 6-8 weeks time this match is still being used as his defence as he will more than likely not find himself in a position of winning the game for us again.

For all those using the sky "experts" opinions as gold then how come in a match were Wigan won Powell still wasnt man of the match despite scoring the match winning try - his overall influence in a game (despite often being the person who has his hands on the ball the most) is low.

Lets clear up the tackle count "stat" too - Powell often has impressive tackle stats, but watch the game - watch how many times he is 3rd man in. In fact watch this short highlights video as its a perfect example

https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/s ... castleford

Watch how on both tackles which we gave the penalties away Powell has abosultely nothing to do with the "tackle" he comes in after the tackle is complete and basically drops on - this goes into his stats, watch carefully next game he does this alot - im not saying other players dont but his tackle stats often used in his defence are bloated by this
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

At no point have I said that SP is the best 9 in SL, though this seems to be the argument some posters are answering.

My original post was, in fact, an answer to those who claim he's useless, illustrated by selected quotes. Another fact is that I recently defended him as being a solid if unspectacular player of the type every team needs, especially under salary cap.

The fact that he had an outstanding game doesn't mean he'll do the same next week, but it is a valid illustration that he's not as bad as some people say.

Sorry you got cold on Saturday, Voodoo. I was warm, but had to endure Jon Wells' analysis. Maybe you should post during games so people like me can have the benefit of your superior knowledge whilst eating our jam and crumpets in front of the telly?
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

morley pie eater wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:40 am At no point have I said that SP is the best 9 in SL, though this seems to be the argument some posters are answering.

My original post was, in fact, an answer to those who claim he's useless, illustrated by selected quotes. Another fact is that I recently defended him as being a solid if unspectacular player of the type every team needs, especially under salary cap.

The fact that he had an outstanding game doesn't mean he'll do the same next week, but it is a valid illustration that he's not as bad as some people say.

Sorry you got cold on Saturday, Voodoo. I was warm, but had to endure Jon Wells' analysis. Maybe you should post during games so people like me can have the benefit of your superior knowledge whilst eating our jam and crumpets in front of the telly?
I remember dennis moran destroying a team (think it was widnes) in the challenge cup for us including a virtuoso solo chip try. Other than this match can you think of 1 other match this season or last season or the season before Powell has won the match for us?
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:37 am It was his first try this year
When was his last try for last season?
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:37 am It was his first try this year

I gave Powell credit for the match which was deserved but i thought at the end of the match that this was the match Powell fans were waiting for but if nothing else it actually has the opposite effect it shows you how poor he is most of the time.

I said in a previous post that the Powell supporters often would only cite "the coach picks him" as defence of him as a player, the fact they finally have a match to use as an example shows you how few and far between they are, no doubt in 6-8 weeks time this match is still being used as his defence as he will more than likely not find himself in a position of winning the game for us again.

For all those using the sky "experts" opinions as gold then how come in a match were Wigan won Powell still wasnt man of the match despite scoring the match winning try - his overall influence in a game (despite often being the person who has his hands on the ball the most) is low.

Lets clear up the tackle count "stat" too - Powell often has impressive tackle stats, but watch the game - watch how many times he is 3rd man in. In fact watch this short highlights video as its a perfect example

https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/s ... castleford

Watch how on both tackles which we gave the penalties away Powell has abosultely nothing to do with the "tackle" he comes in after the tackle is complete and basically drops on - this goes into his stats, watch carefully next game he does this alot - im not saying other players dont but his tackle stats often used in his defence are bloated by this
Yep 👍
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

No, I can't think of a game which Sam "won for us". Then again, same goes for Isa, Sarge, Tommy, Greenwood, Flower, Clubb, T, Sutty, and quite a few more - tho some of you may have better memories than me.

Most games are won by team effort and few teams ever have match winners or world class stars in every position. Maybe we were spoiled in the 80s and early 90s?

I think my problem is trying to take a half-way position against those who only see extremes. If you argue in favour of one of OUR players, you're a troll whilst, naturally, loyal fans slag OUR players off.

You couldn't make it up!

It's the modern social media attitude that anyone who has a different opinion to me is fair game for any insult.

Hope you all enjoy the London game and that the weather is good :D
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

Im not a sam powell fan but the fact is hes always picked. To me that means the trained proffesional coaches obviously see something we dont.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

morley pie eater wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:20 pm No, I can't think of a game which Sam "won for us". Then again, same goes for Isa, Sarge, Tommy, Greenwood, Flower, Clubb, T, Sutty, and quite a few more - tho some of you may have better memories than me.

Most games are won by team effort and few teams ever have match winners or world class stars in every position. Maybe we were spoiled in the 80s and early 90s?

I think my problem is trying to take a half-way position against those who only see extremes. If you argue in favour of one of OUR players, you're a troll whilst, naturally, loyal fans slag OUR players off.

You couldn't make it up!

It's the modern social media attitude that anyone who has a different opinion to me is fair game for any insult.

Hope you all enjoy the London game and that the weather is good :D
Why can't you grasp that Powell is not a Wigan standard hooker and 9 along with 1,6,7,13 is where you need creative players with pace and handling skills, Making 50+ tackles a game is simply not good enough for a player who is supposed to be creating space for players, He needs to go and if he doesn't then he needs to be moved to bench hooker and Lenagan needs to use one marque slot and bring in Jake Friend
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Caboosegg wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:04 pm Im not a sam powell fan but the fact is hes always picked. To me that means the trained proffesional coaches obviously see something we dont.
I'm guessing his inclusion in the team is down to Lenagans gullibility with Waney talking him into giving Sam a nice shiny new extension :shock: