Morgan Escaré plays tonight

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
nathan_rugby

Re: Morgan Escaré plays tonight

Post by nathan_rugby »

DaveO wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 12:10 am
josie andrews wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 11:53 pm You only need to see who are included in the coffee mornings after training to see who is involved!
Coffee mornings after training? I hope the coach and the likes of Rads aren't also enjoying the latte's in this little club.
You cannot force people to be friends etc and spend 100% of their time as a full team.

The coaching staff and leadership team have a responsibility to ensure:

- There are team bonding sessions.
- If they notice a player or players are not being singled out, but are struggling to make friends/get involved. they should work with that player to find a solution.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

nathan_rugby wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 11:05 am
josie andrews wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 11:53 pm You only need to see who are included in the coffee mornings after training to see who is involved!
Coffee mornings after training? I hope the coach and the likes of Rads aren't also enjoying the latte's in this little club.
You cannot force people to be friends etc and spend 100% of their time as a full team.

- If they notice a player or players are not being singled out, but are struggling to make friends/get involved. they should work with that player to find a solution.
No you cant but when it comes to the job on the pitch, you can expect it not to show.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Caboosegg wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 12:23 pm
nathan_rugby wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 11:05 am

No you cant but when it comes to the job on the pitch, you can expect it not to show.
What really happened?

From what I have read above it could very well just be Williams and Gildart having a discussion around tactics etc. They are very good friends, play on the same side and have played together through the youth ages.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
EagleEyePie

Post by EagleEyePie »

Escare doesn't really seem effective enough on the wing unless we're able to be quite adventurous in attack (which is a rarity). Not surprising really given we do better when our wingers are making carries to make up for the ineffectiveness of our middles.

As for Escare being fullback and Hardaker a centre, it could happen, but when Hardaker played centre he was pretty subdued whereas he's been one of our most consistent performers at fullback.

I don't see the point in signing a top fullback, then deciding to play him out of position to accommodate someone whose all round game isn't as good. Just bring in a centre to play centre. If Hardaker is playing well enough he should stay at fullback and we should offload Escare as he doesn't really seem to fit into the team. No place for sentiment anymore. He's had it rough but the club is paying his salary yet he hardly plays and hasn't really made much of an impact when he's been given a game.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

EagleEyePie wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 11:09 pm Escare doesn't really seem effective enough on the wing unless we're able to be quite adventurous in attack (which is a rarity). Not surprising really given we do better when our wingers are making carries to make up for the ineffectiveness of our middles.

As for Escare being fullback and Hardaker a centre, it could happen, but when Hardaker played centre he was pretty subdued whereas he's been one of our most consistent performers at fullback.

I don't see the point in signing a top fullback, then deciding to play him out of position to accommodate someone whose all round game isn't as good. Just bring in a centre to play centre. If Hardaker is playing well enough he should stay at fullback and we should offload Escare as he doesn't really seem to fit into the team. No place for sentiment anymore. He's had it rough but the club is paying his salary yet he hardly plays and hasn't really made much of an impact when he's been given a game.
Hard to disagree with you,far too much sentiment at the club as it is with players being given far more time to find that elusive “star quality” to make the jump up from the under19s
EagleEyePie

Post by EagleEyePie »

fozzieskem wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 12:12 pm Hard to disagree with you,far too much sentiment at the club as it is with players being given far more time to find that elusive “star quality” to make the jump up from the under19s
I would sort of disagree with that point, since the jump from under 19's is generally pretty steep for young players, especially prop forwards. There's got to be some way for the club to keep younger forwards for long enough to give them a decent chance of developing.

Plus, the plan was to run a full reserve side this year and the decision not to was only made once the contracts had been sorted. It wouldn't really make sense to start paying contracts off if we could loan players out, which the club has managed to do.

There probably are quite a few that wouldn't be expected to get anywhere near the first team though, and can only have been kept for the reserves. Players like Ganson, Field and Worthington, for example, who have gone well down the pecking order.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

EagleEyePie wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 12:29 pm
fozzieskem wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 12:12 pm Hard to disagree with you,far too much sentiment at the club as it is with players being given far more time to find that elusive “star quality” to make the jump up from the under19s
I would sort of disagree with that point, since the jump from under 19's is generally pretty steep for young players, especially prop forwards. There's got to be some way for the club to keep younger forwards for long enough to give them a decent chance of developing.

Plus, the plan was to run a full reserve side this year and the decision not to was only made once the contracts had been sorted. It wouldn't really make sense to start paying contracts off if we could loan players out, which the club has managed to do.

There probably are quite a few that wouldn't be expected to get anywhere near the first team though, and can only have been kept for the reserves. Players like Ganson, Field and Worthington, for example, who have gone well down the pecking order.
But in a salary capped sport I suppose you have to trust and luck and hope you get it right,I agree with you over props though,no easy answer to that one,but as Smithies has proven the jump up,if you’re good enough is doable in other positions,though that said he did look done in the other night and needs to be managed so he’s not worn out by 25 or so.

The squad is too big I think most would agree and it’s full of players as you say nowhere near the first team,to have so few props ready for this season for instance is inept at best,a nettle must be grasped in that department and soon.