New Signings Are On The Way

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
ddtftf

Re: New Signings Are On The Way

Post by ddtftf »

We have been in this position for a long time and left till its become a major problem with the pack , we need at least 2 big pack men and a fast clever hooker to add to Hastings for the attack to work
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

It's signings (plural) so hopefully there will be a few incoming.
Both IL & Rads know what's needed as much as we do.
Jonathon Kerr (JK)

Post by Jonathon Kerr (JK) »

George Burgess is considering a return to the UK. He would do for start to add some go forward to pack.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

ManxWarrior wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 9:08 pm George Burgess is considering a return to the UK. He would do for start to add some go forward to pack.
Add Waerea-Hargreaves and Friend to the list and we've got the best front row in the country
moto748

Post by moto748 »

Sadly the situation seems to be that just one player, even as good one like Hastings or Burgess G, doesn't look like being enough, as we need strengthening all over the park,.
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

The article says signings, so there will be more than one of them. If I was in charge, I would sign:

2 marquee players - Hastings for Williams, and either a world class prop (Tom Burgess would be ok) or a crafty 9 or 6 (Farah or Marshall or someone of that type).

Big props - Lam made the point at the start of the season that we had at least 1 too few props, and since than Hamlin has gone, so he at least sees the need. Burgess could be one, and someone like Scott Taylor or Bousquet would be the other. Whoever we get, they must be naturally big, rather than a bulked up second row (plus if we need marquee money for a pack leader, a 9 or 6).

I assume that we will lose Williams and Hamlin and let Tautai go. I would let one of
Lockers or Leuluai retire, keep Clubb as an extra front row body who is a known commodity, and let Sarg, Burgess and the others on the list go. I wouldn’t mind if Burgess stayed, but we have too many wingers and he is only with us at all under sufferance.

We have some brilliant young talent, like Oli, Morgan and Smith, who could thrive within the right structure.

I think the maths would work for the 4 new players, as marquee players don’t eat into the cap too much, and we would be losing Williams, Sarg, Hamlin, Tautai, Lockers/Tommy, Burgess, Wells and others, and we would end up with a leaner but much meaner squad.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

That assumes Wigan will use the two marquee spots..I think it’s unlikely maybe one but two well we shall see.
EagleEyePie

Post by EagleEyePie »

The thing with Burgess is that even though he is a top class winger, I just don't think we should be spending a significant amount of the salary cap on wingers. We all know that the most important players are the forwards and playmakers. That's why we've struggled against teams when our injuries have been in the pack and most of theirs in the backs. I'm not saying you can get away with just anyone on the wing, or that wingers can't make a difference, but look at other teams and they've done quite well with some fairly average wingers when the pack and playmakers have been strong. Plus, we've had Marshall and Davies come to the fore and do quite well for us simply because we've promoted from within. Not in the same class as Manfredi and Burgess but we've won plenty of games when they've been in the side. Fix the pack and playmakers first, then work towards strengthening the rest.

So with that in mind, if we can keep Burgess then that's great. If his wage demands prove too high then let him go and put that money towards the areas we have less cover in and need improving.

Having a look at the off-contract list for Super League players, there aren't a huge number of players who really stand out.

In fact the only 2 players I'd expect the club to be particularly interested in are both at Salford. They would be Jackson Hastings (obvious target to replace Williams) and Josh Jones (always seems to play well, good powerful back row forward).

Kenny Edwards is a relatively high profile name on the out of contract list but he's been pretty poor for Catalans and probably not worth the wages he'd expect.

The standard of prop forward on the off contract list is pretty poor.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

It would be nice if we could replace Budgie with a player like Mahe Fonua
moto748

Post by moto748 »

EagleEyePie wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 12:15 pm The thing with Burgess is that even though he is a top class winger, I just don't think we should be spending a significant amount of the salary cap on wingers. We all know that the most important players are the forwards and playmakers. That's why we've struggled against teams when our injuries have been in the pack and most of theirs in the backs. I'm not saying you can get away with just anyone on the wing, or that wingers can't make a difference, but look at other teams and they've done quite well with some fairly average wingers when the pack and playmakers have been strong. Plus, we've had Marshall and Davies come to the fore and do quite well for us simply because we've promoted from within. Not in the same class as Manfredi and Burgess but we've won plenty of games when they've been in the side. Fix the pack and playmakers first, then work towards strengthening the rest.

So with that in mind, if we can keep Burgess then that's great. If his wage demands prove too high then let him go and put that money towards the areas we have less cover in and need improving.

Having a look at the off-contract list for Super League players, there aren't a huge number of players who really stand out.

In fact the only 2 players I'd expect the club to be particularly interested in are both at Salford. They would be Jackson Hastings (obvious target to replace Williams) and Josh Jones (always seems to play well, good powerful back row forward).

Kenny Edwards is a relatively high profile name on the out of contract list but he's been pretty poor for Catalans and probably not worth the wages he'd expect.

The standard of prop forward on the off contract list is pretty poor.
Fully agree. Wingers are not the priority. We are not losing games because our wingers are not up to scratch.