New Signings Are On The Way

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Re: New Signings Are On The Way

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

moto748 wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 7:10 pm
shaunedwardsfanclub wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 12:52 pm I remember many on here saying that Sutton was no good, that we would not miss him and he wouldn’t make it in the NRL, where have they gone now?
Ah, but if Sutton had played for Wigan like he currently is doing for Canberra, I would have been more impressed. I didn't think his Wigan form was NRL standard and I stick to that view.
That's fair enough but Flower and Sutton were still our best props under Wane. My view at the time and it still is, he will play for England. The lad has bags of talent and a desire to succeed equal to any player I have ever come across. It is obvious that Sutton has got talent, so who is to blame?
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
shaunedwardsfanclub

EagleEyePie wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 7:53 pm
shaunedwardsfanclub wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 12:52 pm I remember many on here saying that Sutton was no good, that we would not miss him and he wouldn’t make it in the NRL, where have they gone now?
Ah, but if Sutton had played for Wigan like he currently is doing for Canberra, I would have been more impressed. I didn't think his Wigan form was NRL standard and I stick to that view.
Probably because none of our props under Wane ever got the chance to really stand out. Wane's style was obviously effective to win us trophies, but it was much harder for our props to really make a name for themselves. They made fewer carries per game on average than their counterparts at other clubs. Wane's style also involved going to ground on contact and getting a quick play the ball and discouraged post-contact metres. That suits someone like Ben Flower whose strength is his agility and ability to get up and play the ball quickly. For someone like Sutton though he has so much to offer when running aggressively and not going to ground easily. That part of his game was wasted under Shaun Wane. Joe Bullock is another who would have been nowhere near as effective had Wane been here in my opinion.

As soon as it was announced that Sutton was going to the NRL I thought it was the best career move for him. He had so much to offer but wasn't getting the opportunity at Wigan.

Edit: Just as an addition to for those who likes stats. In the NRL so far this season, over a third of Sutton's total running metres have been made after contact.
An excellent post.
ddtftf

Post by ddtftf »

I watched his last game in the NRL and he was outstanding, they have him running from deeper to have more impact than a flat line pass he was getting at Wigan , enabling him to penetrate the line more which explains the stats
jobo

Post by jobo »

EagleEyePie wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 7:53 pm
Probably because none of our props under Wane ever got the chance to really stand out. Wane's style was obviously effective to win us trophies, but it was much harder for our props to really make a name for themselves. They made fewer carries per game on average than their counterparts at other clubs. Wane's style also involved going to ground on contact and getting a quick play the ball and discouraged post-contact metres. That suits someone like Ben Flower whose strength is his agility and ability to get up and play the ball quickly. For someone like Sutton though he has so much to offer when running aggressively and not going to ground easily. That part of his game was wasted under Shaun Wane. Joe Bullock is another who would have been nowhere near as effective had Wane been here in my opinion.

As soon as it was announced that Sutton was going to the NRL I thought it was the best career move for him. He had so much to offer but wasn't getting the opportunity at Wigan.

Edit: Just as an addition to for those who likes stats. In the NRL so far this season, over a third of Sutton's total running metres have been made after contact.
Crikey, this post takes the biscuit.
ddtftf

Post by ddtftf »

Maybe the coach has made the improvements :? :? :? :?
Mickw

Post by Mickw »

Sutton is now a ball playing loose forward,just shows how players talents were ignored and coached out of em by wanes methods,and people wonder why lam with a weaker squad is struggling to turn things round.

As for new signings, sorry but I won't be getting to excited about the prospect of lenegan and radlinski coming up with anything remotely near good enough for what we need.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

I take the point about Wanes tactics, but there's more to it than that, isn't there? Sutton is fitter and looks in much better nick than he was at Wigan.
The booze hound

Post by The booze hound »

moto748 wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 2:57 pm Sutton is fitter and looks in much better nick than he was at Wigan.
Well he was previously conditioned under Bitcon, who is apparently the best in the business, so if he is fitter and in better nick then it could be down to him applying himself better.
shaunedwardsfanclub

The booze hound wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 4:29 pm
moto748 wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 2:57 pm Sutton is fitter and looks in much better nick than he was at Wigan.
Well he was previously conditioned under Bitcon, who is apparently the best in the business, so if he is fitter and in better nick then it could be down to him applying himself better.
Sutton is no fitter than he was last season. As well as training with the club, under the guidance of Bitcon, he was doing additional sessions with Lee Blundell.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

shaunedwardsfanclub wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 5:16 pm
The booze hound wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 4:29 pm
Sutton is no fitter than he was last season. As well as training with the club, under the guidance of Bitcon, he was doing additional sessions with Lee Blundell.
Are you his physician now