New Signings Are On The Way

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Firestarter

Re: New Signings Are On The Way

Post by Firestarter »

Plenty good reserve grade nrl players....... thats what scouts are supposed to do......unfortunately we only seem to find them once other SL teams find them first...... dobson and green were prime examples
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

medlocke wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 9:13 am
shaunedwardsfanclub wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 1:38 am
Exiled Wiganer wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 11:26 pm We need props, we have too many wingers. Clubb had a kidney out and came back as fast as humanly possible for our club. Burgess legged it the first chance he got, and would be gone to the NRL in an instant despite our having taken him back, and nursed him back to health. We need 2 good wingers, and we have 3 without Burgess. If money was no object, I would be more than happy to keep Burgess. He is a luxury we can’t afford in a salary cap world.
Marshall and Davies are nowhere near as effective as Burgess and Manfredi.
Give over, How can you say Manfredi is effective when he's constantly injured and Burgess is only effective when he can be arsed, Marshall and Davies have scored some great tries when the other two have been injured, But don't worry, Manfredi will be back for 3 games in 2020
We will see what you are all saying when Manfredi and Budgie are not playing or are not at the club. We are a far better team when those guys are on the team sheet. I remember many on here saying that Sutton was no good, that we would not miss him and he wouldn’t make it in the NRL, where have they gone now?
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
shaunedwardsfanclub

moto748 wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 3:16 am
shaunedwardsfanclub wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 1:38 am
Exiled Wiganer wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 11:26 pm We need props, we have too many wingers. Clubb had a kidney out and came back as fast as humanly possible for our club. Burgess legged it the first chance he got, and would be gone to the NRL in an instant despite our having taken him back, and nursed him back to health. We need 2 good wingers, and we have 3 without Burgess. If money was no object, I would be more than happy to keep Burgess. He is a luxury we can’t afford in a salary cap world.
Marshall and Davies are nowhere near as effective as Burgess and Manfredi.
No, but Marshall and Davies have scored plenty of tries for Wigan, and I agree that we need forwards much more urgently than wingers.
That’s a different argument. I agree we need three or four forwards. That’s what I have been saying for a long time. Our half backs have been getting blamed for our pack being ineffective. Two props, a hooker and loose forward required for me.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Firestarter wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 9:29 am I think meds is spot on....... as good as dom is its getting to the point were we seriously have to think about his future...... if budgie is going then ide personally let one ov the other two go and sign a bigger winger to suite our style ov play
How do we do that? Both of the others have a contract as does Manfredi!
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

Dunno its a tricky situation
shaunedwardsfanclub

Firestarter wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 1:05 pm Dunno its a tricky situation
We can’t without paying them and the payment would count on the salary cap.
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

shaunedwardsfanclub wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 1:17 pm
Firestarter wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 1:05 pm Dunno its a tricky situation
We can’t without paying them and the payment would count on the salary cap.
fair enough....... i rate all 4 but think early next season we have to make a big decision on dom
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

Id stick by Manfredi, hes an exciting player and came back brilliant from 3 major injuries, cant see why he cant from a 4th.

Saints stould by lomax and its paying off for them.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

shaunedwardsfanclub wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 12:52 pm I remember many on here saying that Sutton was no good, that we would not miss him and he wouldn’t make it in the NRL, where have they gone now?
Ah, but if Sutton had played for Wigan like he currently is doing for Canberra, I would have been more impressed. I didn't think his Wigan form was NRL standard and I stick to that view.
EagleEyePie

Post by EagleEyePie »

moto748 wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 7:10 pm
shaunedwardsfanclub wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 12:52 pm I remember many on here saying that Sutton was no good, that we would not miss him and he wouldn’t make it in the NRL, where have they gone now?
Ah, but if Sutton had played for Wigan like he currently is doing for Canberra, I would have been more impressed. I didn't think his Wigan form was NRL standard and I stick to that view.
Probably because none of our props under Wane ever got the chance to really stand out. Wane's style was obviously effective to win us trophies, but it was much harder for our props to really make a name for themselves. They made fewer carries per game on average than their counterparts at other clubs. Wane's style also involved going to ground on contact and getting a quick play the ball and discouraged post-contact metres. That suits someone like Ben Flower whose strength is his agility and ability to get up and play the ball quickly. For someone like Sutton though he has so much to offer when running aggressively and not going to ground easily. That part of his game was wasted under Shaun Wane. Joe Bullock is another who would have been nowhere near as effective had Wane been here in my opinion.

As soon as it was announced that Sutton was going to the NRL I thought it was the best career move for him. He had so much to offer but wasn't getting the opportunity at Wigan.

Edit: Just as an addition to for those who likes stats. In the NRL so far this season, over a third of Sutton's total running metres have been made after contact.