Tonights Game

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
nathan_rugby

Re: Tonights Game

Post by nathan_rugby »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 2:15 pm
fozzieskem wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 1:33 pm
DaveO wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 10:08 am

Lost as to what they are meant to be doing or incapable of doing it? Either through age, lack of basic class or pure unwillingness?

The problem is I don't think there is a great team struggling to get out from under some poor coaching.
Think you’re right,there isn’t a team of world beaters hiding in there but all it does for me is showed how Wane got the best out of this mediocre bunch,whereas Lam frankly looks lost as to what to do
Harsh on Lam take bateman, tomkins and sutton off wane and reduce lockers to a bench player and see how he does.

in 2017 for example in the regular 23 rounds we only won 10 games, weve won 6 now so lam only needs another 4 wins to match wanes achievement that year
I also remember somebody posting our form without Lockers (When he played more games and minutes and had greater influence) and Tomkins and it was not very good.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

fozzieskem wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 2:23 pm
josie andrews wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 10:33 am I also think the back room fitness staff are lacking the the same expertise as Mark Bitcom had & are contributing to the lack of “fitness” & “energy” from the players! IMO of course! 😊
Have to agree with you Josie,losing Bitcon was a huge blow and perhaps wasn’t going to be felt till they started playing again
Who did we replace him with?

Whilst not having any knowledge on the answer, I am guessing some part timer who is from Wigan and has been involved with the club got the promotion.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

nathan_rugby wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 2:40 pm
josie andrews wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 10:33 am I also think the back room fitness staff are lacking the the same expertise as Mark Bitcom had & are contributing to the lack of “fitness” & “energy” from the players! IMO of course! 😊
Have to agree with you Josie,losing Bitcon was a huge blow and perhaps wasn’t going to be felt till they started playing again

Whilst not having any knowledge on the answer, I am guessing some part timer who is from Wigan and has been involved with the club got the promotion.
was it not Paul Johnson? or have i made that up
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Wigan_forever1985

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 2:55 pm

Yes Paul Johnson, no disrespect to him BTW but Bitcon was the real deal!
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Wigan_forever1985

josie andrews wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 2:59 pm
Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 2:55 pm

Yes Paul Johnson, no disrespect to him BTW but Bitcon was the real deal!
I agree Josie and here this "model" of replacement is the same one that echo's around the club at the moment. Nothing against Paul but the facts speak for themselves

Paul Johnson roles before his current role:
Head of Strength & Conditioning for the Under 19s whilst studying at UCLAN.

Mark Bitcon Before Wigan:
Head of Sports Science
Gloucester Rugby
2008 – 2010 2 years

Head of Elite Fitness/National Team Fitness Coach
Scottish Rugby Union
2005 – 2008 3 years

Head Athletic Performance Co-ordinator
Glasgow Warriors
2004 – 2006 2 years

Wasps Rugby
Senior Strength & Conditioning Coach
2002 – 2003 1 year

Wasps Rugby
Head of Academy Sports Science
2001 – 2002 1 year

Academy Sports Science Consultant
Bolton Wanderers Football Club
November 2000 – May 2001 7 months
pedro

Post by pedro »

and in the NFL with Tampa Bay
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

It’s chalk and cheese isn’t it when you compare them
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Not replacing Bitcon with someone of a similar level shows either complete lack of judgment or in my view more likely, is part of a cost cutting exercise.
wildbeast

Post by wildbeast »

Difficult to know where to start - 2 teams looking like championship standard. Woeful attack a complete lack of basic running and passing rugby skills. Just one man drives throughout. Can't remember any moves involving dummy runners. On coaching front little or no structure. Very depressing times -even in previous bad times- always had the feeling that things would come good. The Wigan way has all but disappeared.