Tonights Game

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
DaveO

Re: Tonights Game

Post by DaveO »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 10:01 am The players seem lost as to what they are meant to be doing and that is degrading the sense of "team"
Lost as to what they are meant to be doing or incapable of doing it? Either through age, lack of basic class or pure unwillingness?

The problem is I don't think there is a great team struggling to get out from under some poor coaching.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

DaveO wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 10:08 am
Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 10:01 am The players seem lost as to what they are meant to be doing and that is degrading the sense of "team"
Lost as to what they are meant to be doing or incapable of doing it? Either through age, lack of basic class or pure unwillingness?

The problem is I don't think there is a great team struggling to get out from under some poor coaching.
I agree with you to some extent but as someone else on this thread while personnel improvements are needed collectively this team has improvement in it too.

Even if the answer is they are incapable that still means that the coach should be adjusting the plan to fit the capabilities within the team.

Im not laying the whole thing at Lams door i think he's in a very difficult situation but we need to strip back and simple focus on the basics
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

I also think the back room fitness staff are lacking the the same expertise as Mark Bitcom had & are contributing to the lack of “fitness” & “energy” from the players! IMO of course! 😊
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Wigan_forever1985

josie andrews wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 10:33 am I also think the back room fitness staff are lacking the the same expertise as Mark Bitcom had & are contributing to the lack of “fitness” & “energy” from the players! IMO of course! 😊
Bitcon was one of the best in his field as demonstrated by the fact he was wanted by arguably one of the biggest clubs in the world right now so we were always going to take a hit

that said i agree Josie the appointments havent helped the team or Lam
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

With Lulu, Williams, Lockers, Powell in the team we should not look so lost and clueless.

We never truly excelled in attack under Wane. We had a good period when we had Deacon and Harris on the coaching staff and periods where we had Smith/Green combo and Smith/Williams combo. What I think we are seeing now is a group of pivots (Hardaker included) who between them are not organisational and leader type players by the nature.

We just need an organiser / game manager who can dictate and direct play, good kicking game etc. Dare I say it, Lee Briers type player...
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

nathan_rugby wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 10:59 am

With Lulu, Williams, Lockers, Powell in the team we should not look so lost and clueless.
Why? LulU and Lockers are past it and only play part of the match particularly Lockers and Powell is average bordering on rubbish. Williams is inconsistent.
We never truly excelled in attack under Wane. We had a good period when we had Deacon and Harris on the coaching staff and periods where we had Smith/Green combo and Smith/Williams combo. What I think we are seeing now is a group of pivots (Hardaker included) who between them are not organisational and leader type players by the nature.
When we had Deacon and Harris we had a different set of players. They still knew how to play attacking rugby. The squad has slowly been eroded over time to what we have now'
We just need an organiser / game manager who can dictate and direct play, good kicking game etc. Dare I say it, Lee Briers type player...
We need several new players that amounts to almost an entirely new pack as well as someone to lead the team around the pitch who is on the pitch for 80 minutes.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

DaveO wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 11:49 am
nathan_rugby wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 10:59 am

Why? LulU and Lockers are past it and only play part of the match particularly Lockers and Powell is average bordering on rubbish. Williams is inconsistent.
When we had Deacon and Harris we had a different set of players. They still knew how to play attacking rugby. The squad has slowly been eroded over time to what we have now'
We need several new players that amounts to almost an entirely new pack as well as someone to lead the team around the pitch who is on the pitch for 80 minutes.
Because Lulu, Lockers, Powell and Williams are some of our more experienced players and also play pivot positions. You have incorrectly assumed I am saying they are good enough, I am not...I agree with your point...

I also am aware we had a different set of players when we had Deacon and Harris and its impossible to know a percentage on the coaches influence vs the players influence. What we can agree on is that we played better attacking rugby when we had them as coaches and there will be some influence. Its a comparison of coaching staff not players I was making.

I know we need a lot of new players, the reference to an organiser/game manager was one point in relation to looking so lost, slow, flat etc.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Think you’re right,there isn’t a team of world beaters hiding in there but all it does for me is showed how Wane got the best out of this mediocre bunch,whereas Lam frankly looks lost as to what to do
Wigan_forever1985

fozzieskem wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 1:33 pm

Think you’re right,there isn’t a team of world beaters hiding in there but all it does for me is showed how Wane got the best out of this mediocre bunch,whereas Lam frankly looks lost as to what to do
Harsh on Lam take bateman, tomkins and sutton off wane and reduce lockers to a bench player and see how he does.

in 2017 for example in the regular 23 rounds we only won 10 games, weve won 6 now so lam only needs another 4 wins to match wanes achievement that year
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

josie andrews wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 10:33 am I also think the back room fitness staff are lacking the the same expertise as Mark Bitcom had & are contributing to the lack of “fitness” & “energy” from the players! IMO of course! 😊
Have to agree with you Josie,losing Bitcon was a huge blow and perhaps wasn’t going to be felt till they started playing again