This is worrying!

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
nathan_rugby

Re: Sean O'Loughlin to play on with Wigan Warriors in 2020?

Post by nathan_rugby »

josie andrews wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:57 pm
nathan_rugby wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:46 pm Terrible decision based on the fact:

1 - Will be taking up a huge chunk of the salary cap

2 - Only plays in 50% of our games

3 - The longer he goes on, the longer it will be until we prioritize an actual replacement who we can depend on for 100% of the season.

Its time to make the honorable decision and retire. He has been a royal servant, played out of his skin for years and is the last of a dieing breed of ball playing loose forwards.
Majority of his salary doesn’t count on the cap. Length of service & club trained.
As I have said before on another thread. In order to qualify for the above you need to be earning £175,000 at least.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
DaveO

Re: This is worrying!

Post by DaveO »

Fan4Fifty wrote:Can someone explain what "a club clear out" really means? Didn't we have one last year with players, coaches and backroom staff leaving? Or maybe that was the wrong type of clear-out!! We probably all thought Bateman was class but for all those who couldn't wait to be rid of Sam (and don't forget Sutton who brought a lot of go-forward to the pack) maybe there's a realisation of how influential he was. It's always been true that teams playing without confidence make good players look average or worse, and teams with confidence make average players look good or better. Do we look poor at the moment - dead right we do. But the first step for us is to get a settled team and then somehow, rebuild confidence again with some consistency of selection and performance. Then hopefully we can integrate some new blood, which I totally agree is urgently needed. But let's get real, 'club clear-outs' aren't going to happen and are not a 'quick fix' way forward anyway.

As for SO'L, of course his best days are behind him but, until we identify a top replacement, it's up to someone already at the club to play consistently well enough to replace him. At least the guy wants to play for Wigan, which is quite unusual these days.
Surely we don’t need a settled side to know how good or bad players who have been here several seasons are.

As to Lockers we are talking about him going around again which is crazy. What if the club can’t find a top replacement for him next season? Another season after that?
DaveO

This is worrying!

Post by DaveO »

nathan_rugby wrote:
josie andrews wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:57 pm
nathan_rugby wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:46 pm Terrible decision based on the fact:

1 - Will be taking up a huge chunk of the salary cap

2 - Only plays in 50% of our games

3 - The longer he goes on, the longer it will be until we prioritize an actual replacement who we can depend on for 100% of the season.

Its time to make the honorable decision and retire. He has been a royal servant, played out of his skin for years and is the last of a dieing breed of ball playing loose forwards.
Majority of his salary doesn’t count on the cap. Length of service & club trained.
As I have said before on another thread. In order to qualify for the above you need to be earning £175,000 at least.
Aren’t you confusing marquee player rules with club trained?

The marquee rule is only the first £75000 counts on the cap if the player is club trained, £150,000 if not.

The club trained rule does not apply to individual players. A club gets a £5000 allowance per club trained player it has on its books up to a maximum of £100,000. It just gets added to the cap overall and the club can make use of it how it likes. So to qualify for the full whack we’d need 20 club trained players on the books.

There is also a small dispensation for having enough young players in scholarship program of £15k.

Having read the salary cap rules I can see no mention of any dispensation for long service. I don’t think this dispensation exists anymore.

So I think all that said, all of Lockers salary will count on the cap unless we make him a marquee player which would obviously be nuts.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

DaveO wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 12:37 am

The marquee rule is only the first £75000 counts on the cap if the player is club trained, £150,000 if not.

The club trained rule does not apply to individual players. A club gets a £5000 allowance per club trained player it has on its books up to a maximum of £100,000. It just gets added to the cap overall and the club can make use of it how it likes. So to qualify for the full whack we’d need 20 club trained players on the books.

There is also a small dispensation for having enough young players in scholarship program of £15k.

Having read the salary cap rules I can see no mention of any dispensation for long service. I don’t think this dispensation exists anymore.

So I think all that said, all of Lockers salary will count on the cap unless we make him a marquee player which would obviously be nuts.
Thanks for that Dave, I was unaware that it had changed.
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
wall_of_voodoo

Post by wall_of_voodoo »

josie andrews wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 8:13 am

Yeah thanks for that

All I want now is a definition of "Club Trained" as I thought all players train at the club :roll:
I'm a better fan than you
Because I don't "Boo"!!!

Yes I bloody know transfer fees do not count on the salary cap for those illiterates that need it explaining to them because they assume everyone is as thick as they are :roll:
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

wall_of_voodoo wrote:
josie andrews wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 8:13 am

Yeah thanks for that

All I want now is a definition of "Club Trained" as I thought all players train at the club :roll:

Club trained is having been on the clubs register for three full seasons before they become ineligible for the under 21’s.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Thanks for the info Dave,the salary cap is a convoluted mess and high time it went or at least increase iy by at least 30%,they won’t of course,just nibble round the edges while all of the British talent gets siphoned off to Australia