Who’d you have as next coach?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.

Next coach?

Poll ended at Sun May 12, 2019 1:37 pm

Adrian Lam
13
28%
Trent Barrett
1
2%
Paul Deacon
2
4%
Shaun Wane
7
15%
Chris Chester
4
9%
José Mourinho
3
6%
Tony Smith
2
4%
Current NRL coach/ast
14
30%
Current SL coach
0
No votes
Ex-Wigan player
1
2%
 
Total votes: 47

User avatar
wall_of_voodoo
Posts: 851
Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2008 12:51 am

Re: Who’d you have as next coach?

Post by wall_of_voodoo » Wed May 08, 2019 9:14 pm

Exiled Wiganer wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 7:15 pm
There are 3 big coaching decisions he has made:

- McDermott was a fantastic decision;
- McGuire (until he disappeared to the beach once he had his NRL contract) was a great decision; and
- under Wane we won the big prize on multiple occasions
Who is this McDermott?
I'm a better fan than you
Because I don't "Boo"!!!

Yes I bloody know transfer fees do not count on the salary cap for those illiterates that need it explaining to them because they assume everyone is as thick as they are :roll:

josie andrews
Posts: 24559
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2007 10:17 pm
Location: Wigan

Re: Who’d you have as next coach?

Post by josie andrews » Thu May 09, 2019 12:03 am

wall_of_voodoo wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 9:14 pm
Exiled Wiganer wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 7:15 pm
There are 3 big coaching decisions he has made:

- McDermott was a fantastic decision;
- McGuire (until he disappeared to the beach once he had his NRL contract) was a great decision; and
- under Wane we won the big prize on multiple occasions
Who is this McDermott?
I think EW is commenting on the coaches Mr Lenagan has employed since his involvement in RL.
McDermott was the first coach he employed at London Broncos when he owned them. 😊
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage.

josie andrews
Posts: 24559
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2007 10:17 pm
Location: Wigan

Re: Who’d you have as next coach?

Post by josie andrews » Thu May 09, 2019 12:29 am

DaveO wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 9:09 pm
What do you mean Holbrook wasn’t chosen as head coach? For Wigan? Lam has never been head coach for an NRL side either if that is what you meant. What has any of that that got do do with Wigan’s next coach?

All I am doing is pointing out the difference between the CV’s and saying we should go and and look for similar to Madge and Holbrook in the NRL, not chose Lam.

IL has had three coaches. Noble who he kept too long, Madge who was brilliant and Wane who under achieved. There is no logic that says because he appointed Madge and Wane whatever your views on their success that says his appointment of Lam (if he does give him the job) is worth trusting IL for. It’s the cheap easy option and it is most definitely not based on his coaching record.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
How can you say that Dave? Madge won two trophy's with better players & more money at his disposal than Wane had over his tenure & Wane won three SL GF trophy's, a Challenge Cup & a WCC. With 2013 being the double.

Maguire left at the first opportunity to go & coach in the NRL, where he then won their GF with a team of excellent players at Souths, he hasn't done anything since has he?

First season syndrome with Wigan & then again at Souths with the new coach.

Now I'm not looking to argue or have a big discussion with massive quotathons from you or anyone, about the virtues of Madge, but there is this putting him on some sort of pedestal because he got us into winning ways & changed the the training regime under which we played with better back room staff eg Bitcon.

What makes you think It was ALL down to Madge when his assistant was Wane.

Mr Lenagan gave him the money & the backing needed when Madge came to do all of that to succeed, whereas, as the years went by with Wane as coach, it seemed the financial support seemed to decline.
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage.

Exiled Wiganer
Posts: 1886
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2005 1:18 pm

Re: Who’d you have as next coach?

Post by Exiled Wiganer » Thu May 09, 2019 1:56 pm

I agree that McGuire was brilliant for us, the perfect man at that time, but I am with Josie that he was given a superb squad (many of whom had been produced by Wane). It was a disgrace that they disappeared to the beach in his second year after Wembley, as he had the best squad at his disposal in the league by far that year.

Exiled Wiganer
Posts: 1886
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2005 1:18 pm

Re: Who’d you have as next coach?

Post by Exiled Wiganer » Thu May 09, 2019 1:59 pm

Who is this McDermott?
[/quote]

Sorry, I wasn’t clear. He appointed Brian McDermott, who worked miracles with tiny resources at the Broncos. Indeed, on that basis, IL has (sort of) appointed the coaches who have won the vast majority of SL titles over the last 15 years. Not a bad track record.

pedro
Posts: 4025
Joined: Thu Jul 08, 2004 9:37 pm

Re: Who’d you have as next coach?

Post by pedro » Thu May 09, 2019 4:34 pm

Exiled Wiganer wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 1:56 pm
I agree that McGuire was brilliant for us, the perfect man at that time, but I am with Josie that he was given a superb squad (many of whom had been produced by Wane). It was a disgrace that they disappeared to the beach in his second year after Wembley, as he had the best squad at his disposal in the league by far that year.
not many in that starting 13 were wanes I dont think, All fully fit, Sam, Joel and Hansen (1 year with Wane)
http://www.speedtest.net/result/1857407490.png

DaveO
Posts: 14276
Joined: Mon Sep 30, 2002 5:32 pm

Re: Who’d you have as next coach?

Post by DaveO » Thu May 09, 2019 6:21 pm

josie andrews wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 12:29 am
DaveO wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 9:09 pm
What do you mean Holbrook wasn’t chosen as head coach? For Wigan? Lam has never been head coach for an NRL side either if that is what you meant. What has any of that that got do do with Wigan’s next coach?

All I am doing is pointing out the difference between the CV’s and saying we should go and and look for similar to Madge and Holbrook in the NRL, not chose Lam.

IL has had three coaches. Noble who he kept too long, Madge who was brilliant and Wane who under achieved. There is no logic that says because he appointed Madge and Wane whatever your views on their success that says his appointment of Lam (if he does give him the job) is worth trusting IL for. It’s the cheap easy option and it is most definitely not based on his coaching record.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
How can you say that Dave? Madge won two trophy's with better players & more money at his disposal than Wane had over his tenure & Wane won three SL GF trophy's, a Challenge Cup & a WCC. With 2013 being the double.

Maguire left at the first opportunity to go & coach in the NRL, where he then won their GF with a team of excellent players at Souths, he hasn't done anything since has he?

First season syndrome with Wigan & then again at Souths with the new coach.

Now I'm not looking to argue or have a big discussion with massive quotathons from you or anyone, about the virtues of Madge, but there is this putting him on some sort of pedestal because he got us into winning ways & changed the the training regime under which we played with better back room staff eg Bitcon.

What makes you think It was ALL down to Madge when his assistant was Wane.

Mr Lenagan gave him the money & the backing needed when Madge came to do all of that to succeed, whereas, as the years went by with Wane as coach, it seemed the financial support seemed to decline.
I am not comparing him to Madge when I say he under achieved. I talking about the level of success he achieved as head coach over the entire time he was head coach. Given the players he had and the level of competition there is we should IMO have been more successful, not getting knocked out of the cup by the likes of HKR.

DaveO
Posts: 14276
Joined: Mon Sep 30, 2002 5:32 pm

Re: Who’d you have as next coach?

Post by DaveO » Thu May 09, 2019 6:24 pm

Exiled Wiganer wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 1:59 pm
Who is this McDermott?
Sorry, I wasn’t clear. He appointed Brian McDermott, who worked miracles with tiny resources at the Broncos. Indeed, on that basis, IL has (sort of) appointed the coaches who have won the vast majority of SL titles over the last 15 years. Not a bad track record.
[/quote]

IL sort of appointed the best coaches of the last 15 years? My God is there no limit to your brownnosing of the man?

Exiled Wiganer
Posts: 1886
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2005 1:18 pm

Re: Who’d you have as next coach?

Post by Exiled Wiganer » Thu May 09, 2019 6:36 pm

He appointed McGuire, McDermott (though not at Leeds) and Wane. Look at how many Grand Finals they won between them. It is a fact that he identified and appointed all 3 of them. It is not an opinion, it is a fact. I appreciate it sits ill with other narratives.

Wes
Posts: 2008
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:28 pm

Re: Who’d you have as next coach?

Post by Wes » Thu May 09, 2019 10:34 pm

DaveO wrote:
Exiled Wiganer wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 1:59 pm
Who is this McDermott?
Sorry, I wasn’t clear. He appointed Brian McDermott, who worked miracles with tiny resources at the Broncos. Indeed, on that basis, IL has (sort of) appointed the coaches who have won the vast majority of SL titles over the last 15 years. Not a bad track record.
IL sort of appointed the best coaches of the last 15 years? My God is there no limit to your brownnosing of the man?[/quote]


Your last comment is snide and adds nothing to the debate.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
[url]http://www.treetechsolutions.co.uk[/url]

Post Reply