Bent refs

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
doc

Bent refs

Post by doc »

How on earth could they say that Tommy knocked on then. Wasn't looking at the ball which was dislodged by the impact.
doc

Re: Bent refs

Post by doc »

How often does the video ref overrule the onfield ref? Twice so far and all against us, thogh second decision was correct. Powell's try looked more dodgy than the Sarginson one.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

The sarginson try that was given looked like a text-book example of double movement. Maybe it evened out?
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

Mike wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 4:24 pm The sarginson try that was given looked like a text-book example of double movement. Maybe it evened out?
I thought this. His first one should have been a try, the second one was a double movement unless they are saying the tackle wasnt complete due to the wire players just falling off.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
EDINBURGH-WARRIOR

Post by EDINBURGH-WARRIOR »

Giving a knock on against Wee Tam in the first half was criminal . A superb tackle . Definatlley look like a case of evening things up as to me Sarge's second try was a clear cut double movement.

What a miss Wee Tam am will be his defence is outstanding .

Regards EW
2002 and EW is hooked
SJ

Post by SJ »

Think it was for the disallowed try
EagleEyePie

Post by EagleEyePie »

The refs aren't bent. I'd argue this was a case of 'over-officiating'. The correct decision was obvious. Tommy wasn't trying to strip the ball, the ball came free because of his fantastic tackle and the fact that it touched his hands is incidental. He's clearly not playing for the ball. However, the they changed the interpretation of the knock on rule to prevent players from going into tackles with their arms wide to block a pass and get away with a knock on. To everyone it's clear to see how the scenarios differ except, it would seem, referees who end up removing common sense to scrutinise decisions to the Nth degree.

The decision to award Sarginson the try after a clear double movement was similarly baffling. Did Hicks realise his previous error and either deliberately or subconsciously even things up?
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

EagleEyePie wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 5:33 pm The refs aren't bent. I'd argue this was a case of 'over-officiating'. The correct decision was obvious. Tommy wasn't trying to strip the ball, the ball came free because of his fantastic tackle and the fact that it touched his hands is incidental. He's clearly not playing for the ball. However, the they changed the interpretation of the knock on rule to prevent players from going into tackles with their arms wide to block a pass and get away with a knock on. To everyone it's clear to see how the scenarios differ except, it would seem, referees who end up removing common sense to scrutinise decisions to the Nth degree.

The decision to award Sarginson the try after a clear double movement was similarly baffling. Did Hicks realise his previous error and either deliberately or subconsciously even things up?
I’d agree with this,I grow weary of “ref is bent” argument, prove it don’t sit behind a keyboard ranting st the world it’s pathetic.

I do think they do over officiate and if they make an error instead of letting it go and live with they try to even it up but and as I’m typing this the non sarge try is on...is it a knock on..not for me but John kear says the word pedantic and he was right because Tommy does seem to glance at the ball..I certainly wouldn’t have given it that’s for sure but also can see (just about) why it was given
wildbeast

Post by wildbeast »

2 very very poor decisions by the video ref. Gave me the impression he was determined to go out of his way to rule no try after what was a excellent tackle by Tommy- and then gave a try almost immediately after a pretty obvious double movement on the 2nd!!!
However big raps for every Wigan player. A great performance and gives us hope for the future despite the disappointment.
ian.birchall

Post by ian.birchall »

Caboosegg wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 4:27 pm
Mike wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 4:24 pm The sarginson try that was given looked like a text-book example of double movement. Maybe it evened out?
I thought this. His first one should have been a try, the second one was a double movement unless they are saying the tackle wasnt complete due to the wire players just falling off.
Exactly, both wire players somersaulted over Sarginson who had a game to forget even with the try.
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.