The Truth No Excuses

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
nathan_rugby

Re: The Truth No Excuses

Post by nathan_rugby »

shaunedwardsfanclub wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 10:22 am If my memory serves me right he played hooker in the World Cup.
You are right. But he was always a 7 at Wigan and we resigned him as a 7 so he needs to be judged as a 7. I have never thought he has the game management and organising ability to be a 7. In the games he has played at 9 this year and last he hasn’t even looked great.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
pearsy

Post by pearsy »

With no go forward from the forwards and weak spine of 1 6 7 and 9 cut the options on left side and most teams would struggle
Crosty 54

Post by Crosty 54 »

The forwards are just not good enough club hid most of the game when he was the forwards should take a look at saints forwards they don't take the ball stood still as for williams he is meant to be are marquee player he is rubbish if everybody eles can see why can't the coaches see drop bring young Smith in he cannot do no worse than Williams think it is time IL KR went with the rubbish players av a proper clean out
ddtftf

Post by ddtftf »

To all members just watch the replay and keep your eye on Clubb look how many times he hangs back to avoid taking the ball in or runs through the line with the same idea of not running the ball. Then look at how many tackles he misses with flaying arms and dropping as 3rd man in the tackles . If you want to be really upset look at how many yards he makes, i watched a 19 year old forward for Broncos today make over 200 yards and make 27 tackles , i think Clubb made 65 yards in the whole game.
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

Thing is... we can’t do anything til the off season can we do we are stuck with what we’ve got!!!
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
Mickw

Post by Mickw »

Thing is the laziest, cheapest easiest thing to do is give him another year and I wouldn't put it past our so called leaders to do it .
I have no confidence what so ever in lenegan and rads doing what needs to be done to sort this mess out .
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

Crosty 54 wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 11:37 am The forwards are just not good enough club hid most of the game when he was the forwards should take a look at saints forwards they don't take the ball stood still as for williams he is meant to be are marquee player he is rubbish if everybody eles can see why can't the coaches see drop bring young Smith in he cannot do no worse than Williams think it is time IL KR went with the rubbish players av a proper clean out
I agree with your earlier comments, this is the worst forward pack we have seen in over 40 years. As for Williams I am going to nail my colours to the mast, as I said about Sutton he will make the grade in Australia. Sooner or later fans are going to realise that our problems don’t lie with our younger players but our over the hill senior professionals.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Mickw wrote:Thing is the laziest, cheapest easiest thing to do is give him another year and I wouldn't put it past our so called leaders to do it .
I have no confidence what so ever in lenegan and rads doing what needs to be done to sort this mess out .
Me either. Compared to Mo Lindsay they have no idea how to recruit or how to manage a squad. Under him Lockers and TL would be fond memories having been replaced before they got past it.

Under ML the way the club worked was constantly seeking to improve every position. So for example the club signed Andy Gregory who replaced Mick Ford. If IL had been in charge then we’d have never signed Gregory even though we could afford it.

There is a misplaced sense of loyalty at the club that means hard working but average players are not moved on when contracts are up. They are likely to get a new deal instead. There is no ruthless pursuit of the best players anymore.

I know we live in a salary cap word but we don’t seem to even try and take easy options like extending average players contracts. IL and Rads need to up their game considerably.
Julian

Post by Julian »

nathan_rugby wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 11:03 am
shaunedwardsfanclub wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 10:22 am If my memory serves me right he played hooker in the World Cup.
You are right. But he was always a 7 at Wigan and we resigned him as a 7 so he needs to be judged as a 7. I have never thought he has the game management and organising ability to be a 7. In the games he has played at 9 this year and last he hasn’t even looked great.
From the standpoint of having watched all of Leuluai’s NRL and international career he has always been a very ordinary half imo. Very much only capable of playing a supporting role there. Once shifted to hooker he came of age and was instrumental in the Kiwis 08 World Cup win. I was always amazed that from that point on he wasn’t a nailed on number 9 really. His second stint in the NRL was rather forgetful too and I don’t think it’s surprising that at 34 he’s not the player he was given he did really a fair bit on good acceleration with the ball in the middle of the park.

Btw; Aussie here. Have followed ESL a lot closer this year and found what’s happening at Wigan really hard to watch.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Julian wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 3:18 am
nathan_rugby wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 11:03 am
From the standpoint of having watched all of Leuluai’s NRL and international career he has always been a very ordinary half imo. Very much only capable of playing a supporting role there. Once shifted to hooker he came of age and was instrumental in the Kiwis 08 World Cup win. I was always amazed that from that point on he wasn’t a nailed on number 9 really. His second stint in the NRL was rather forgetful too and I don’t think it’s surprising that at 34 he’s not the player he was given he did really a fair bit on good acceleration with the ball in the middle of the park.

Btw; Aussie here. Have followed ESL a lot closer this year and found what’s happening at Wigan really hard to watch.
Agreed.
Agreed.
Did he play mostly hooker in this second stint?
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."