The Truth No Excuses

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
ancientnloyal

Re: The Truth No Excuses

Post by ancientnloyal »

That was shit. Simply.

Not letting the performance spoil 5,000 Wigan fans experience though. Only a game.

Well done to Catalans and Wigan for organising this event
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
EagleEyePie

Post by EagleEyePie »

Caboosegg wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 10:30 pm Escare is quicker and harder to handle than Zak, every game hes played hes caused the defence problems, being small he also has the rob burrow effect of easy metres from high shots. With him at fullback i believe we would be quicker in attack.

As to Zak over sarg thats an easy one, zak can pass, where sarg see a half gap sticks his head down and just runs, zak would 9/10 times make the same break and offload to his winger, he better in defence and i think would benefit from being in the line.

Zak is much better than Escare is defence and in the line but if we should be defending well enough that we dont have to rely on our last defender to stop tries (like we currently are).
Hardaker played centre several times for Leeds and was consistently poor. Why are people expecting that to suddenly change now he's at Wigan?

I like Escare but he's still such a liability when the ball is in the air. At one point today Hardaker took a great catch and made a good half break. I thought Escare would probably have gone length of the field from that break but there would have been no chance of him actually making the take in the first place to get in that position.

When Escare has been given first team chances this year he hasn't taken them. We shouldn't be moving Hardaker from fullback when he's one of the few players who is playing well to replace him with a player who hasn't taken his chances and earned his place in the side.

In fact, if the club really are at the cap limit they should be looking to offload Escare to free up some cap space because if he's not going to play then that money could be put to better use, like signing better forwards.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Escare may offer some zip and speed but the fact of the matter is that our 6 and 7 are not creating the space outside for our FB and Centres.

Whilst escare may be easier on the eye, we would be relying on him creating space through his speed and evasiveness, which won’t occur more than once or twice in a full game. It’s a false economy to view him this way.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

ancientnloyal wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 10:49 pm That was shit. Simply.

Not letting the performance spoil 5,000 Wigan fans experience though. Only a game.

Well done to Catalans and Wigan for organising this event
Great day out, crap performance.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
jaws1

Post by jaws1 »

Escare cant catch guess you did not go to Wakefield when Brough kept kicking bombs at him all through the match and he caught every one .Escare played in most of matches under Wane with the switcheroo and he got the results .Don't think Hardaker is in my opinion not playing to his potential Escare has number 1 on his back and for me should be played there .
Woody1989

Post by Woody1989 »

w.thomas wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 8:59 pm Whilst I think the pack being rubbish doesnt help Zac's game I think he lacks effort sometimes. No doubt hes a good defender and a classy player but I dont see enough desire from him. Cant help thinking hes playing at 60% instead of 100% for some reason
Really? I thought he was the only one who put the required effort in yesterday. The way he fought to get that try in the 80th minute despite the fact the match was lost doesn't suggest a lack of effort or desire to me!
Woody1989

Post by Woody1989 »

We desperately need some bigger players in the pack. Catalans absolutely mauled us.

I also still can't believe we sold McIlorum to them and kept Powell and Leuluai. Whoever made that decision needs to leave the club.

As for Williams, gis head is clearly in Canberra. After that performance he needs to be dropped. He's meant to be a big Liverpool FC fan, so dropping him for Anfield might be the kick in the backside he needs.
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

I noted that Hardaker had some spells as acting half-back yesterday. Not sure if that was a plan or whether it was just he was the nearest man there. We don't seem to be playing to any kind of plan these days so I guess it was the latter.
He's OK under the high ball if not under pressure, when he tends to leave it to someone else. I'd move him to centre because his defence as FB on the line is iffy. He seems to end up alongside the player and not on the line driving the attacker back. In the centre he'd have more scope to attack, which is his strength because he doesn't seem to attack consistently from FB and Escare seems more natural as a FB.
Thought Marshall did very well after one dodgy moment at the start. The left-wing trio of Burgess, Gildart and Greenwood, if given the ball, still represents our best means of attack. Otherwise, we just seem to have too many players who really aren't good enough and too many who are at the end of their careers. Rebuilding is going to be painful and might be a long job.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Southern Softy wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 9:34 am I noted that Hardaker had some spells as acting half-back yesterday. Not sure if that was a plan or whether it was just he was the nearest man there. We don't seem to be playing to any kind of plan these days so I guess it was the latter.
He's OK under the high ball if not under pressure, when he tends to leave it to someone else. I'd move him to centre because his defence as FB on the line is iffy. He seems to end up alongside the player and not on the line driving the attacker back. In the centre he'd have more scope to attack, which is his strength because he doesn't seem to attack consistently from FB and Escare seems more natural as a FB.
Thought Marshall did very well after one dodgy moment at the start. The left-wing trio of Burgess, Gildart and Greenwood, if given the ball, still represents our best means of attack. Otherwise, we just seem to have too many players who really aren't good enough and too many who are at the end of their careers. Rebuilding is going to be painful and might be a long job.
Tommy L should be stepping up, organising and running the show. After all he’s a veteran scrum half with super league and NRL experience. Didn’t he win the World Cup?

Oh wait, he’s an absolutely diabolical scrum half who couldn’t organise a p!ss up in a brewery.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

If my memory serves me right he played hooker in the World Cup.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards