Where should the buck stop?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Where should the buck stop?

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

IFL and Rads in my view. They have appointed Lam as coach and I see no justification for their decision. Failure to recruit the players required and worst still retaining players who are past their sell by date or who are not good enough. Reducing our support staff and the experience they brought. Failure to implement succession planning in the club and their inability to generate funds to make us competitive with other clubs.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
Wintergreen

Re: Where should the buck stop?

Post by Wintergreen »

IL and KR
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

IL & KR

Poor player recruitment

Lack of succession plans in certain positions

Signing of ex players

Not adequately replacing staff

Lack of awareness and recognition towards what the fans want and why the attendances are falling.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Agree with all of the above. As said elsewhere in a previous era we were always looking to improve. Good players made way for better players. If IL and Rads were running things back then we’d never have signed half the players we did. Not because we could not afford it but because they would have stuck with what we had.
EagleEyePie

Post by EagleEyePie »

I've no issue with them bringing Lam is as coach. Most people seemed to want an assistant from the NRL to replace Wane and that's what we got. He was probably the most experienced candidate available and his links to the club made the appointment easier.

I think perhaps Radlinski and Lenagan saw some justification in cutting the wage bill last season when we let players leave and still ended the season champions. That may have clouded their judgement a bit regarding the abilities of the players we have left.

For me Greenwood and Bateman were the catalysts at the end of last season and now that Bateman has gone and Greenwood has been plagued with injury problems to the point of being absent or ineffective in many games we're really getting exposed for the weak middle that we've always had. I've said it many times that the forwards were a priority for signings this year and we'd got too many backs.

That probably means that the buck stops with Rads and IL, as I don't view the squad as being particularly good enough to give Lam much of a chance. Still, there's a long way yet to go in the season and chances in fortune can be sudden.
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

It is clear as day. It is Lam. We have the vast majority of the team that won the GF, and the pick of the best juniors in the game. We clearly have no plan, are unfit and give up. All of those are problems of his making. I have no idea why we have someone with no business expertise as CEO, and so would apportion some “blame” to the well meaning Rads. IL has bank rolled a decade of success, and has plenty of credit from my perspective.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

Exiled Wiganer wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 8:00 am It is clear as day. It is Lam. We have the vast majority of the team that won the GF, and the pick of the best juniors in the game. We clearly have no plan, are unfit and give up. All of those are problems of his making. I have no idea why we have someone with no business expertise as CEO, and so would apportion some “blame” to the well meaning Rads. IL has bank rolled a decade of success, and has plenty of credit from my perspective.
See i agree with this, the IL haters will do anything to blame him for everything.

Yes we have a weaker team i will accept that and i didn't expect any big name signing due to it basically being a handover year with lam as a stop gap.

But even if we don't have a good enough team to win everything the team is good enough to at least compete and play some consistent rugby.

We arnt competing and the only consistent we seem to have is consistently poor.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Exiled Wiganer wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 8:00 am It is clear as day. It is Lam. We have the vast majority of the team that won the GF, and the pick of the best juniors in the game. We clearly have no plan, are unfit and give up. All of those are problems of his making. I have no idea why we have someone with no business expertise as CEO, and so would apportion some “blame” to the well meaning Rads. IL has bank rolled a decade of success, and has plenty of credit from my perspective.
You really dislike our present coach, don't you?

It is the players who are to blame, they go out onto the field, not the coach! He can only do so much off the field.

We lost not only three very good players at the end of last season, but the most important member of staff in Mark Bitcon!

You can see the players aren't fully fit! Yes they are carrying niggling injuries but their fitness is crap! The background staff are not as good as the ones we lost last year.

And that, IMO, is the main reason we are so bad, along with the majority of players laissez faire attitude to the club & it's fans.
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
keptinthedarkfans

Post by keptinthedarkfans »

I dont dislike Lam but he is to blame for our poor performances he is clearly out of his depth please don't come back with we lost players injuries and players past there best all that does not excuse the complete garbage of 13 men running around like headless chickens bereft of ideas clueless plays no attacking or defensive structure believe it or not this is coaches job and its clear to see he is not doing his at any level sorry but should have gone 5 week ago
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

josie andrews wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 10:02 am
You really dislike our present coach, don't you?

It is the players who are to blame, they go out onto the field, not the coach! He can only do so much off the field.

We lost not only three very good players at the end of last season, but the most important member of staff in Mark Bitcon!

You can see the players aren't fully fit! Yes they are carrying niggling injuries but their fitness is crap! The background staff are not as good as the ones we lost last year.

And that, IMO, is the main reason we are so bad, along with the majority of players laissez faire attitude to the club & it's fans.
You’re right about Bitcon,going the cheap route and promoting from within hasn’t worked,they should have moved heaven and earth to find a replacement,Bitcons loss is huge.

As for players attitude I think it’s been like this for a couple of seasons to be honest,they don’t come to the fence en masse as they used to,I know you can grab them before they go in but to me the after match attitude has dipped alarmingly